North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   Cold Start issues... (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/194991-cold-start-issues.html)

Motor On 08-19-2010 04:18 PM

Cold Start issues...

Which has been your experience? Voting is anonymous, but please share your experience below.

Thanks yo Rixter for putting the question together.

Rixter 08-19-2010 04:46 PM

Thanks MotorOn for posting!

For those who are trouble free after some sort of fix, can you please post how long you've been in remission.

orangecrush 08-19-2010 05:33 PM

Yeah thanks, you kiss azz!!!

:lol:

Did the bulletin on mine, probably put 7-8K miles on it with no more problems.

Mark

Rixter 08-19-2010 06:15 PM

Fixed with full SIM110207. 3500 miles since w/o problems.

Mark you are sooooooo helpful. (more azz kissing) :wink:

nicknbecka 08-19-2010 06:54 PM

Fixed with SIM110207, going on about 70k without issue, excluding a HPFP a week later.

ChrisTKD 08-20-2010 07:27 AM

Need new option

You need to add an option for those who have had the problem but not taken it in to be fixed yet.

Rixter 08-20-2010 09:13 AM

Chris that's not a bad idea, but really the purpose is to see how many have had the problem and which method(s) truly fix the issue. How long have you had yours and what has the dealer proposed?

MINIdave 08-22-2010 10:17 AM

19K since tensioner only was replaced, no problems since...:thumbsup:

808Chaney 08-26-2010 11:12 PM

Had the car in twice so far and had a "verifier" come to me. Unable to duplicate the problems but have agreed to do an "SI" to check the chain length.

sequence 08-27-2010 09:45 AM

cant say perm fixed yet, but this the 3rd tensioner in my car, replaced under the full SIM110207 with the so-called redesigned part that came out 3 months after I had my 2nd one installed.

ya know if BMW is extending the warranty on the hpfps, they need to step to the plate and give us the same for the engine.

Rixter 08-27-2010 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by sequence (Post 3119562)
cant say perm fixed yet, but this the 3rd tensioner in my car, replaced under the full SIM110207 with the so-called redesigned part that came out 3 months after I had my 2nd one installed.

ya know if BMW is extending the warranty on the hpfps, they need to step to the plate and give us the same for the engine.

I can't believe how easy it was to release the HPFPS warranty extension yet do nothing for the Cold-start 'customers' :mad:

sequence 08-28-2010 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rixter (Post 3119642)
I can't believe how easy it was to release the HPFPS warranty extension yet do nothing for the Cold-start 'customers' :mad:

could it be because the hpfp also affected 1 and 3-series bimmers in addition to the MINI?

Oh and I can think of another poll similar to this one: those who have had the cold start issue, and whether the dealer attempted to fix it NQA (like mine) or whether there was severe push back/stonewalling/denial on the dealer's part.

PatM 09-01-2010 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisTKD (Post 3114581)
You need to add an option for those who have had the problem but not taken it in to be fixed yet.

I agree, I think it is one of the most important questions. My wife's car has the problem intermittently and her car is garaged and parked on a flat service. We have not taken it in because it does not do it all the time. It generally clears up on it's own after about 20 seconds.

OPC 09-02-2010 09:04 AM

When I took it in SIM110207 was available, but the diagnostics resulted in only the replacement of the tensioner. It has not recurred in 6months and 5k miles, but I do not usually engage in the driving practices that are most likely to expose the issue.

unremarkable. 09-05-2010 06:51 PM

So far, I've had the tensioner done once, and the chain itself replaced twice. the rattle returned just this week, in line with the 6-8 months I seem to be getting out of a chain. I took delivery in September 2007, and have just over 60,000 miles. Heard the noise the first time in the winter of 2007.

My car goes into Mini on Wednesday, if it's the chain again, I'm having them put the OEM shift knob back on, don't want to lose my shift machine when I trade it in! Three timing chains in 60,000 miles just isn't acceptable.

Rixter 09-05-2010 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by PatM (Post 3123140)
I agree, I think it is one of the most important questions. My wife's car has the problem intermittently and her car is garaged and parked on a flat service. We have not taken it in because it does not do it all the time. It generally clears up on it's own after about 20 seconds.

Chris and Pat I suggested to MotorOn that he add that very option. I don't have the ability to alter the poll. Sorry

unremarkable. 09-08-2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by unremarkable. (Post 3125379)
So far, I've had the tensioner done once, and the chain itself replaced twice. the rattle returned just this week, in line with the 6-8 months I seem to be getting out of a chain. I took delivery in September 2007, and have just over 60,000 miles. Heard the noise the first time in the winter of 2007.

Well, the sound returned this week, but turns out the cause was (thankfully) not what I expected. Low oil. I don't see a "sheepish" smiley, but if we had one, I would use it here...

Bob4 10-05-2010 12:46 PM

What was covered by SIM110207 and what was the effected models / runs

Rixter 10-05-2010 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bob4 (Post 3142672)
What was covered by SIM110207 and what was the effected models / runs

Bob

Have a read thru https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-chatter.html and then there's also a database where people have recorded the specifics of their MINI https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-database.html, there's a wealth of information in both of those threads.

tim oneill 10-26-2010 06:30 PM

What exactly is the SIM110207 bulletin entail? I'm having cold start issues and my check eng light is now on.

Also, when I called my dealer, the first thing he asked was if I had low oil (mid stick level). Why would he jump with that question first and not the typical gas cap quesion?

(First time post - so thanks in advance)

Rixter 10-26-2010 08:01 PM

Tim

SIM110207 was a service bulliten by MINI to address the cold start issue. Some dealers only elected to replace some of the parts named in the bulliten, namely the timing chain tensioner. Others performed the entire recommended service. Some dealers claim that low oil levels are sufficient to cause the problem. Hope that helps

Laardilla21 10-31-2010 12:52 PM

I brought mine in for another issue and the service tech asked me if it rattled a lot when i cranked it when it was cold. They told me I had this issue and fixed the tensioner. I have not had any issues since.

tim oneill 11-06-2010 11:43 AM

Service Competed

I just came back from Clasic Mini in Cleveland and my 07 S (36K) is running like a champ! Here is what they replaced for the cold morning starting issue:
  • Chain Tensioner
  • Gasket Ring
  • Timing Chain
  • Guide Rail
  • Bearing Bolt
  • Slide Rail
  • Sprocket
  • Shaft Seal
  • Fuel Additive
They kept the car overnight just to make sure but in the morning the saga continued and they discovered that the fuel pressure was not correct.
  • A High Pressure Fuel Pump (FP 13-51-7-588-879) was then replaced and that was it.
The only (mini!) issue through this whole ordeal was that my loaner was a Basic 2011 auto which really made me appreciate my turbo and a six speed.

sequence 11-06-2010 04:00 PM

almost 2K on the 3rd tensioner, with some below freezing mornings, and all is quiet. However, my valve cover warped and the engine was throwing oil all over the place. Had that fixed, 1K since, and no oil being thrown. But, my 3rd hood scoop melted so the dealer threw on a carbon-fiber h/s (looks killer)...... NOW happy to shout: EVERYTHING IS FINE! :grin: (for now)

(still going to dump this car after year 4. I simply do not trust these Prince engines to last over the long haul)

MCStank27 11-07-2010 04:02 PM

Service complete and MPGs are terrible!

Went in 2 weeks ago for timing chain replacement... SIB 11 02 07. Car now getting 28 MPG vs the previous 34 MPG before replacement. Also running sluggish, and RPM'S bottomed out the other night while driving in NYC, car almost stalled. Dealer told me it was winter gas. I use V-Power, that is bogus. I think either my timing is off or maybe it is my fuel pump. Already had new Fuel Injectors installed 2/10. Also, have appointment scheduled for new flywheel on the 11/17. I think I will also need a new clutch, right? Any advice. I am so annoyed, I feel like I am in there every other week getting something fixed!