Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

$1 reward: Engine Noise- shop called it "idler pulley" but I think NOT

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:21 PM
kurschat
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$1 reward: Engine Noise- shop called it "idler pulley" but I think NOT

Greetings,

2005 MCS with 68K

Noise: Intermittent Buzzing and spooling. Sometimes constant. Sounds like it is coming from bottom middle of engine bay. Not noticeable near top.

I put a stethoscope (long handle screwdriver) on idler pulley/tensioner, supercharger and surrounding. Not a chance..... noise is coming from down below. (I don't have a pit) I can't reach down there to pinpoint the culprit but it is really singing away

Noise is independent of engine speed - Rev engine up but noise does not seem to change pitch. I sprayed belt to see if belt noise, but it really doesn't sound like a belt squeal and no effect.

When: Mostly in morning when cold. But, still makes noise after driving around and warmed up. If I start car with A/C on....it runs quiet until after about 5 seconds when AC compressor kicks on.

If I start car WITHOUT AC compressor..... NO NOISE. After I turn on A/C, then noise will start shortly after I hear compressor engage. Once the noise starts.... it won't matter if AC is on or off - noise will be there. (assuming car is running)

I noticed my oil pressure first thing in morning was right at the mid point at idle. After driving around a while, I noticed my oil pressure is only just below first indicator line and goes up to midpoint on ecceleration. I'm not sure if that is "normal" due to oil displacment.

I'm takin it in to the real pros in Detroit on Monday for a good diagnosis...

$1 to the motor junky that can guess it right.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:59 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Did you check the Power Steering pump cooling fan. It comes on exactly 30 seconds after turning on A/C.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:09 PM
kurschat
1st Gear
Thanks -

I have NOT checked PS fan motor, but will shortly (assuming I can locate and reach it). That sounds like a good guess since it would be independent of the engine speed...

Old 06-28-2010, 12:27 PM
kurschat
1st Gear
Thanks Raven,

I Owe Ya A Buck And A Beer!!!

It Kind Of Leaves Me With A Rash When It Seems Every Shop Wants To Throw An Idler Pulley And Tensioner For This Issue. I Think A Lot Of Peeps Have This Issue But Get Mis-routed.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:28 PM
kurschat
1st Gear
By the way... My PS pump fan motor comes on exactly same time as my AC compressor. That was the really confusing part of this tick. Thanks again

Old 06-28-2010, 01:10 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
np. I guess the compressor does not come on immediately after switching the A/C on, some few seconds later I think.

Keep an eye on that 5 amp fuse #F41 for the PS fan too. It's in the fuse box by dead pedal. Normally when these fans seize up from winters road sand, the fuses blow. I've gone through 3 fuses in two years......

Old 07-13-2010, 02:39 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Is this noise the super high speed whiring fan sound that goes on and off every 30 seconds or so with the A/C on or is it the wet belt (not high pitch screech, but a squishy, sounds like you have water in your sandals type noise)? I have both and don't know if the 100000000 rpm fan noise is normal or not. I figure the other noise is either the tensioner making noise or the idler pulley making a little noise. I have a new belt to put on so hopefully the belt is the culprit!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:38 PM
kurschat
1st Gear
Here is the best way to tell if your Power Steering Pump Fan is the noisy culprit:

1. Stick your head near the belt driven items under the hood in your engine bay and listen. (on left side of engine as you face it)

2. Stick your head under the car directly between headlights.

If the chirping, spooling, buzzing noise is coming from your Power Steering Pump fan..... the sound will be coming from (UNDERNEATH) the car.

Alternatively, if it is your tensioner / pulley....... stick a long handle screw driver on it and listen. A bad bearing sounds really crappy.

*Unfortunately* Most shops will first change out your tensioner and idler pulley because it's about $1,000 repair. They love it - even if you don't need it. If the noise is your PS pump fan motor..... a child could remove / clean / and lube it.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:40 PM
kurschat
1st Gear
By the way.... the super high speed fan that cycles on and off is the engine fan. And yes.... that is normal.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You could buy some cheapo ramps and slide up under the MINI while it's running or while it's up on the sidewalk over the curb.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:36 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Is this noise the super high speed whiring fan sound that goes on and off every 30 seconds or so with the A/C on or is it the wet belt (not high pitch screech, but a squishy, sounds like you have water in your sandals type noise)? I have both and don't know if the 100000000 rpm fan noise is normal or not. I figure the other noise is either the tensioner making noise or the idler pulley making a little noise. I have a new belt to put on so hopefully the belt is the culprit!

No the High speed fan cyling on and off is NOT NORMAL.
It means that you low speed fan on you cooling fan had failed, or more specificity, the resistor....when the cooling fan comes on, it should stay on, and be barely noticeable. If it cycles on and off, very loudly, it is not working....the high speed radiator fan comes on ONLY just before the car overheats. When the computer see's the tempo drop enough, it turns it off, and tries to turn on the low speed fan....but since it is failed, nothing happens, and the temps go up, and the high speed fan is turned on again......
There are many threads, but RockAuto, e-bay, etc all sell aftermarket fans for less than $100, about 1/3 of what the dealer sells fans for.
It is also possible, if you are adventurous, to replace the failed resistor, if you don't mind doing some modifications......