Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

VERY irregular idle, stalling - cold weather related?

Old 12-03-2003, 05:57 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wondering if anyone has insight into this problem. I'll preface it by saying that I put 300 problem-free miles on my car this past weekend, and that I have 13,000 trouble-free miles on the car.

Monday morning, on my way to work, I noticed while sitting at a light, maybe 2 minutes into my commute, that my car's idle was very irregular and choppy, not in such a way that the RPMs were gradually moving around, but in such a way that the idle was alternating between on and off, rapidly - at least once or twice per second. Almost as if the fuel supply was coming in spurts instead of an even flow. I gave the car some gas while sitting at the light, and once I started going again, everything was fine. I decided to forget about it.

This morning, which by the way was easily the coldest morning yet by 10 degrees (it was 16 F when I got in my car), I turned on the car, let it warm for only ten seconds or so, and progressed out into a VERY busy intersection, waiting to turn left. Suddenly the car was having the same idling problem, and then it STALLED. I started it again, gave it some gas, and was fine in less than 30 seconds.

So, what the hell? Coincidentally, I have a service appointment tomorrow morning to address a few rattles, so I guess I'll mention it and see what they think. I know absolutely nothing about how the fuel gets to the engine, and what sort of problem would cause this phenomenon.

BIG question:
Given that this is a dealer absolutely free of any scruples or decency, and out to make a buck at anyone's expense that they can, are they going to give me crap about mods? Could an air intake, exhaust, or plug wires be vaguely connected to this, in the most twisted, evil car-dealer mind? I just want to know if I need to have my boxing gloves on by 8 AM tomorrow...

Old 12-03-2003, 12:19 PM
orb451
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey boss, do you have an MC or an MCS??? Speaking from 3500 miles experience with a bone-stock MC (2003), I can tell you that a very similar thing happens to mine. A gent on another part of the forum mentioned that it might be A/C related... having the A/C on to any degree and yeah that definitely makes it happen at stop lights for sure... BUT, I'm getting the problem regardless of whether the A/C, Heat or just fan blowing air is on or off.

Aside from using the A/C to make it happen, I can't pinpoint what the catalyst is. Sometimes I drive hard and at a light it'll happen... sometimes not. Sometimes I'll drive nice and easy and it'll happen. Sometimes it's hot outside and it'll happen, sometimes not... etc etc.

Things I've noticed:

It hasn't gotten any worse or any more frequent
It never stalls unless I screw up shifting
It never makes any unusual noise
It doesn't matter whether I've got lights/radio/etc on or off (not that it would anyway)

I know it doesn't answer your question but maybe it'll give you some insight and help knowing someone else is having a very similar (if not the same) problem.

Late,

orb.

Old 12-03-2003, 12:42 PM
davo99
1st Gear
chrisnl,

your not the only one..Iv'e got an 03MC, and today it was pretty cold in CT.. about 15 degrees or so @5am.. The MC stalled right after i started it up .. first time that ever happend.. sometimes when it's cold it seems like it is going to stall (runs choppy) then the idle picks back up. But today it fired right up...it stalled... then fired right up again and reved it a little and let it warm up before floored it (again) and bolted to work..

I've done some mods to the car to, so who knows if it's due to those, or just natuarally a little rough before it warms up.. (16,000+ miles... rspeed exhaust, viper intake, powerchip sw, pilo ignition upgrade, tires, wheels, wires, misc interior stuff..etc..)

DA

Old 12-03-2003, 06:17 PM
edlfrey
3rd Gear
Bone stock '03MC, Nov 02 build date. I had a very wide ranging idle fluctuation that the dealer did an DME reprogram for at 2,195 miles. It was better but still had some problems. Was able to compensate for them by using this start routine.
Turn key to Position 2 and wait until all dash lights were out except Check Engine, then start the car. This worked well during the warmer months. When the weather got cold I experienced the same situation that you are describing. I have now got to expect it and I do the same start routine as described above but when I back up to leave I watch the Tac closly and if I see it dropping to very low RPMs I simply wait it out to recover or stall. Usually, if it does drop very low it will recover and then I will proceed or if it actually stalls then a re-start and go will be with no problems. It is a PIA but just some more MINI character! However, I will hopefully get an ECU upgrade at my first service to make this particular MINI characteristic go away.

Old 12-03-2003, 07:05 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Thanks for the insight, guys. Now I'm sort of tempted not to even mention it. I'm pretty sure I don't wash an ECU flash, since the car runs fantastically except for this one little problem. I've heard way too many accounts of cars' character being changed ror the worse (and irreversibly) by CD "upgrades."

Hmm. I guess I'll sleep on it. Dropping the car off at 8 AM, but I'll check in here first to see if any bombs are dropped.

Right now I'm leaning toward seeing if it happens again, and if it does, waiting until I can get to the Peabody MA dealership, which I trust much more than Boston, which is attempting to address my various rattles tomorrow (and which I live 1/10 mile from).

Old 12-03-2003, 07:22 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
chrisnl,
I have a Feb 03 MC. Same problem. I actually took it in to the dealer over the summer & they could find nothing when they interoggated the ECU.Now that it is cold out, it seems to be happening more frequently again. I feel the same way you do in the fact that I would hate to see my MINI go thru a personality change. It performs great otherwise.

Lois

Old 12-03-2003, 08:22 PM
dandp
6th Gear
my Cooper is a 5/02 build, and has stalled numerous times turning left. Seems that the power steering taxes the system quite strongly. I let the car warm up for at least a minute or two before taking off. Dealer pooh-poohed it....

it doesn't happen all the time, and I usually don't expect it when it does. Can be embarrasing - and potentially dangerous.

Old 12-03-2003, 09:20 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
That's interesting about the power steering. I was waiting to turn when I stalled this morning, and the car had been running for maybe 15 seconds, but I'm not sure if I had cut the wheel yet. I don't know, though, often I am parallel parked and have to crank the wheel quite a bit to get out, and I didn't have this problem once all last winter (although I didn't drive the car much last winter since I was walking to work).

By the way, I have a Sep '02 build Cooper. I don't know whether I'm reassured or made less hopeful by the fact that others have experienced this problem, but in any case let's keep each other updated!

Thanks again,
Chris

Old 12-03-2003, 09:42 PM
wongakh
1st Gear
I had the same problem in my Sep 2002 MC 5-speed. The engine speed dip when casting to stop with/without AC. After I had the software upgrade in June, no problem with AC. When without AC, the idel rev seems uneven and sometime drop real low and pick up again.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:55 AM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
I’m with MINI USA. I’m sorry to read about your irregular idle. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (866) ASK MINI and mention Reference # 1-126077440 so that we can discuss your concern.

Old 12-05-2003, 02:10 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Huh... MINIDivision lives...

Chris... I completely understand your reflash trepidation, however V36 is supposed to be the poo Check out the accolades thread: I think everyone's happy with it. Perhaps it will help you--I believe it's recommended for both MC and MCS.

Good luck!

I should note that I have absolutely no freakin' clue about your car's issues. I just assume that any kind of bizarre performance is related to crap software of some sort. Jaded? Perhaps...

Old 12-08-2003, 09:58 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
I have had idle problems since day one, now just crossing the 15K mark. I've lost count- has been to dealership at least 4 times for this issue. They simply can't resolve it. After having the latest (Dec. 02, 2003) software fix installed, it is no better and marginally worse. I am wedded to the car, but am fed up with a spoiled driving experience, and the dreaded "we can't duplicate the problem" from the dealership. I presume this is a planned response. Whenever I shift into neutral, whether in heavy traffic, parking, etc., the idle drops, sometimes as low as 2-300, before rebounding. Standing idle wavers 150+/- despite the weather, that's not the issue. How much can I invest in constantly returning to the dealership? I'd get rid of the car if I could afford it.

Old 12-08-2003, 07:45 PM
edlfrey
3rd Gear
>>I have had idle problems since day one, now just crossing the 15K mark. I've lost count- has been to dealership at least 4 times for this issue. They simply can't resolve it. After having the latest (Dec. 02, 2003) software fix installed, it is no better and marginally worse. I am wedded to the car, but am fed up with a spoiled driving experience, and the dreaded "we can't duplicate the problem" from the dealership. I presume this is a planned response. Whenever I shift into neutral, whether in heavy traffic, parking, etc., the idle drops, sometimes as low as 2-300, before rebounding. Standing idle wavers 150+/- despite the weather, that's not the issue. How much can I invest in constantly returning to the dealership? I'd get rid of the car if I could afford it.

You don't say that you have a MC or a MCS nor what the build date might be but I'm guessing it was a 2002 build. The other thing that I notice is some people have the idle problem only at "cold start" and others, such as yourself, have the problem even when the car has been running for some time. Do you have the MC w/CVT?

I'm disappointed that the ECU version 36 didn't fix your problem, I was hoping it would be the fix for mine when I went in for my 10K sevice.

Old 12-10-2003, 07:30 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
I have a late 2002 build '03 MC. My idle problems are 24/7, regardless of weather, and any other issues mentioned here, such as drain on electrics via AC etc. I guess the dealership is trying to be helpful, but at times I feel this is strained. The response, "we can't duplicate the problem" irritates me as I feel it is a stock answer, and provides coverage for warranty/future complaints. Last trip they were at least sympathetic. But, BMW has had over a year to resolve this issue. When I see comments on this site, and am made aware that several software fixes have been developed, I feel my hostility building. Why can’t a resolution be reached? This isn’t what I bought a new car for. I can put up with quirks, (such as being unable to put the car in gear at times), since I am thoroughly happy with it in most respects, and am willing to endure certain issues to be able to drive a true, British car--- anyone who owned a British Leyland product in the 60s/70s can certainly identify! That is not a problem for me. The Miata may be a fine, modern version of a (60s) British roadster (Triumph, or in terms of styling, really, Lotus Elan), but in the end it is Asian. I’m very happy that BMW insisted on keeping the Mini’s British roots intact. But at the end of the day, this sort of problem has become intolerable, and I further wonder if it will have a damaging effect on my car long-term. Idle problems also aren’t just an inconvenience, but can be dangerous in an urban area. If I could afford to do so, I would get rid of the car.

Old 12-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Bisch
6th Gear
Since I had v.36 flashed last week ('03mcs), my idle problem is now VERY bad.
The dealer suggested I run some dry gas thru it...we'll see.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:15 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
Right. Dry Gas. That's a creative solution. Pass the buck folks. If you had that much water in your gas, your car would have more than a fluctuating idle, it would falter and eventually conk out. You'd find it hard to escape, particularly as you reached the end of a tank of gas...