Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Blinking Oil Pressure Light.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 09:19 AM
Rune
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did a search, having a similar problem to what happened a year ago to this guy's MINI.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...amp;topic=3661

I'm having a similar problem. I'm around 6300 miles on my MCS, haven't had any oil changes yet, and the oil pressure light blinks on and off during driving. Has anyone had this recently on their 2003 MCS or MC? Checked my oil, and despite being blacker than crude, there is at least half a tank of it still in there.. Should I top up the oil again? I'm calling my dealer again today to schedule a time to go in and half them check it, but am wondering if anyone else has encountered this? To add, I haven't done any engine mods at all, save an ALTA intake.

Old 11-20-2003, 09:34 AM
02s79fj40
2nd Gear
Yes, mine was doing this every time I stopped for any period of time in traffic.Of course mine's an 02, but the oil filter housing is the same.That's what they replaced on mine along with several other things , all under warranty.

Old 11-20-2003, 01:58 PM
masher
2nd Gear
I had this happen to me too on a Sept 2002 MCS at around 10K miles. Freaked me out since I was climbing a mountian pass at the time The first replaced part was an oil pressure sender unit. But the real problem was a hole worn thru the engine wiring harness. When the car warmed up the harness drooped and shorted out sometimes on the engine block. When spirited driving or a tap of the gas or the brake peddle would make the oil light go out i knew it was not oil level (checked it daily anyway)

Anthony, the mechanic at Ralph Schomp Mini in Denver was on top of it and had seen this or engine check lights depending on which wire in the harness wore thru first.

Old 11-24-2003, 05:06 AM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
I’m with MINI USA. I’m sorry to read about your blinking oil pressure light. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (866) ASK MINI and mention Reference # 1-122312601 so that we can discuss your concern.

Old 11-25-2003, 04:37 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had this problem for over 15k miles! I've taken it to the dealer 3 times but they have yet to figure it out!! :evil: I'm not sure they're even doing anything b/c the oil light never seems to go on while it's in their "custody". :evil:

Old 11-25-2003, 05:10 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Good luck with the MINI Division drone. When you call them and give them that number, they will have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about. Then you get to explain how you got it on this website, and some god-like robot posted a number and told you to call. Enjoy!

Old 11-27-2003, 07:55 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Good luck with the MINI Division drone.
I don't even think it's a drone. I think it's some dude playing a trick on us.

Old 11-28-2003, 07:08 PM
BlueThunder
Former Vendor
>>Did a search, having a similar problem to what happened a year ago to this guy's MINI.
>>
>>https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...amp;topic=3661
>>
>>I'm having a similar problem. I'm around 6300 miles on my MCS, haven't had any oil changes yet, and the oil pressure light blinks on and off during driving. Has anyone had this recently on their 2003 MCS or MC? Checked my oil, and despite being blacker than crude, there is at least half a tank of it still in there.. Should I top up the oil again? I'm calling my dealer again today to schedule a time to go in and half them check it, but am wondering if anyone else has encountered this? To add, I haven't done any engine mods at all, save an ALTA intake.

Are you guys actually seeing a cut, worn or broken wire harness??
Here is one situaltion that happened on a Cooper. A local quick oil change center changed a customers oil and filter. While changing the filter they removed the old filter and forgot to transfer the plastic center core from the old filter into the new filter. This piece snaps into the base of the filter cover, and the filter slips over that. It can easily be over looked and discarded. Without this item the filter is loose in the housing, and the pressure does drop at idle, enough to make the light flicker.

The cooper S does not have this piece.

Old 12-01-2003, 11:42 AM
Rune
3rd Gear
Eh? Are you sure about that? On Randy Webb's webbmotorsports.com site when he discusses how to change the oil on the MCS, there is a little plastic or rubber grommet that goes around the filter housing that needs to be replaced when the oil is changed. I haven't changed my oil yet (getting close to it at 8600 miles), but I'm still getting this blinking oil pressure light. After my long drive to Phoenix and back, I didn't get it.. However, going a steady 75 on I-5 It blinked on and off depending on how fast I was going over the bumps in the road, and also whether I stepped on the gas or not. It's been leading me to believe that it's some faulty connection. I'm going to get it replaced when I get my oil change, and I'll see how that goes. I'll keep you all informed.

Old 12-09-2003, 07:57 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
It's been leading me to believe that it's some faulty connection. I'm going to get it replaced when I get my oil change, and I'll see how that goes. I'll keep you all informed.
What are you going to have replaced??? I've had this problem for 20k+ miles. I've taken it in for service on it FOUR times!. Other than the one time when my appointment got messed up, they have YET to replace ANYTHING!! :evil:

Old 12-09-2003, 09:25 PM
friedduck
4th Gear
>>What are you going to have replaced??? I've had this problem for 20k+ miles. I've taken it in for service on it FOUR times!. Other than the one time when my appointment got messed up, they have YET to replace ANYTHING!!
First the switch (I honestly don't know where this lives, just as it was described to me), and if that doesn't fix it, then the sender, and if still no go I've heard someone had their wiring harness replaced.

But then again, some of these were to fix chafed wires or bad senders, which would exhibit different symptoms.

Finally, I suppose that the oil pump could be bad, and require replacing. The key is to be persistent. Call MINI USA and ask them what they're going to do for you. It's there problem, after all, not yours.

Hope this helps, Jeff

Old 12-21-2003, 10:44 AM
Rune
3rd Gear
Just an update... I haven't brought my car in to get the oil changed, got another 1500 miles or so.. However, my persistent blinking light has gone away.. I have no idea why, but the last several weeks it hasn't shown up... Maybe it's a temperature thing? It's much cooler in these winter months, so maybe that might have something to do with it. I'll still have it looked at when I bring it in, so maybe they'll still be able to see if there's something immediately wrong... I'm at around 9200 miles now..

Old 02-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Rune
3rd Gear
UPDATE!

I took my car in for it's 10000 mile checkup. I had 10500 on the odometer. I wrote two documents, one for MINI technical service, and the other for my motoring advisor whom I bought my car from. They documented the blinking oil pressure light, and checked it in my service. It turns out that it was a defective oil switch, and they will be replacing it under warranty. They ordered it when I was there, and now will just have to wait for it to come in.

The MINI service place that I went to was MINI of SF in downtown San Francisco, so if anyone else has this problem, they should know about it already.

Old 02-03-2004, 12:31 PM
masher
2nd Gear
Rune,

I saw the the harness that came off my car, yes a hole had been rubbed through the outer braided black layer. The tech said that depending on which wire inside rubs its insulation off that will short and light up on the dash; SES, Oil , etc. . He had seen 4 or 5 harnesses like this (at that was last September).

It's been fine ever since the new harness.

Jef