Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

LOUD buzzing when in drive, 03' CVT

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 03:56 PM
hamertell
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOUD buzzing when in drive, 03' CVT

Hey folks,
At 81,000 miles a buzzing started, it's only audible in drive and while moving, not in reverse and not at a stop.
It speeds up as the RPM increases and slows down when the RPM drops.
It's loud inside the car and can be heard outside.
I've used a Stethoscope to try and find it but while the car is stopped it doesn't make the sound even when the engine is revved to driving RPMs.
the best description of the noise is a slightly muffled model airplane, or a loud hydraulic pump.
The power steering pump shouldn't be the culprit, it flamed out in '05 (yes flames).
Anyhow, I would appreciate any help you could give.
Holland

Old 01-08-2010, 03:21 PM
callinsky
1st Gear
Hey,

[FONT=Arial]I have a 2005 Mini manual convertible base model, almost 90K miles. It is doing the same thing. It’s very hard to describe. It changes speed and pitch with RPMs. Lower RPMs have a lower speed of knock and a lower pitch. The higher the RPM the faster it gets and the higher pitched it gets. Between3000 and 4000 RPMs it sounds like a small airplane is getting ready to take off… kinda like a card stuck in bicycle spokes. It doesn’t do it when I sit even when I rev the engine. It seems to have gotten louder the last couple of times I have driven the car. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Did you ever figure out what was causing this?[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

Old 01-08-2010, 04:30 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Do a search on CVT or CVT problems....it will tell you all you ever wanted to not know about CVT problems in mini's.
When they have an issue, there is no repair, just a $6000 replacement from mini. Maybe he was lucky, and it was a cv joint or something, but with the history of the mini's CVT, unlikely.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 01-08-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:05 PM
callinsky
1st Gear
Thank you. I looked and looked and found another post from a lady that sounded just like mine. It was her transmission. I figure CVT is the transmission.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:41 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Yeah....it stands for Continously Varible Transmission.....it has no real gears, though a computer does simulate gears. I uses a Metal band instead of actual gears to change the speed of the car, and has been to say the least...a nightmare.
Good Luck!!

Old 01-08-2010, 06:44 PM
callinsky
1st Gear
Hey, ZippyNH

CVT is the same if it's a manual? I have a 5-speed. Is it still gonna cost 6k you think?

Old 01-09-2010, 06:25 PM
desmo
2nd Gear
Hey, before you crazy about the transmission. Check something a whole lot simpler. On the early cars the rubber tube that slides onto the PCV valve would collapse after awhile. If its never been changed to the upgraded tube there's a good chance thats your problem. If its making noise all the time all you have to do is hold the tube between your fingers and you'll feel the hum or vibration. If thats the problem make sure you change the rubber tube on both ends. Its a whole lot simpler than a transmission, good luck.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:51 PM
callinsky
1st Gear
Hey,

Thanks for all of your help. My mechanic looked at it this morning. It's the Tranny, no doubt. It sounds bad. I was underneath the lift with him. The fluid looked like muddy water. Anyway, he's a cool guy. I lucked out for being in number two bottom, Kentucky. I will hold off on replacing it for a couple months, maybe three. I found a tranny online for about 2,300 and a clutch kit for about 500, I think. He is going to try to find one too. It will be eleven or twelve hours of labor. The tranny showed just under ten and the clutch showed 11 but I think the clutch won't be 11 because the engine will be out due to replacing the tranny. Do it at once I say.

Luckily I bought a second car about seven months ago because I didn't want to drive the Mini as much. I want it to be my classic when I'm eighty. I will have my grandkids (don't have any yet) drive me around in it on a summer day with my sunhat on. (O;

I am disappointed because it's a manual and an '05. I did a lot of research before I bought it and the tranny got better ratings than previous years. I do drive her hard and I drive over two mountains each way to and from work. I didn't buy her to baby her. I'm a sucker for a European car that drives like a go-cart. I still love the MGs.

I have almost 90k miles on it. The rubbing sound has been going on for at least two years. I didn't realize that's what it was. I should have changed the tranny fluid and never did. I should have known better. If I have her going by summer, I will be a happy-camper once again.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:53 PM
callinsky
1st Gear
Hey,

Sorry. Duplicate.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:26 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
One thing to get clear...it is the Midlands 5 speed with a clutch....the 5 speed Midlands....MUCH is better than the CVT. Congrats!! I'm so happy for you!!
The Midlands 5 speed stills fails more than it should (still much better than the cvt) but still, much cheaper to fix than the CVT as you found. I'm happy for ya!! I can easily say paying maybe 3500 to replace a Midlands is not too bad (likely a one time event unlike the CVT repair).....and you likely should not have more problems. The CVT for the MINI is just a crying shame....IMO MINI should buy them all back...or at the very least give them a 100,000 mile warranty for the transmission and refund money to those that already had to pay.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:33 PM
callinsky
1st Gear
Yeah. I have had issues with Mini and their service. Don't get me started on that. It is rare that they do the right thing. I found them to be very... not nice. I still love my car though. I'm not a luxary kind of girl but I love cars, football too.

I will check back in later, when it's done and over with. Thank you all. I found this forum to be VERY helpful. You all are great.