Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Garage door opener problems

Old 02-19-2010, 03:52 AM
Airmikemech
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomegun
On another note, what is the most popular short antenna and where are people buying it?

Thanks
I have the 4" stubby antenna from Craven Sports. Haven't had any problems with it, and it looks better than the stock one.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:07 PM
slotibartfast
2nd Gear
Just tried this procedure tonight - and it actually worked! I'm a total klutz with repairs, tools, etc, so I was amazed that it actually worked on the first try. Slinger 688, you da man! er....person.....gotta be PC these days.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:34 AM
mikecap
Neutral
I just purchased a 2008 Clubman and wasn't able to program my remote using the owner's manual intructions. I went to the dealer and was told that on some models of the 08, the remote wouldn't work. After reading Slinger's instructions, it worked perfectly! Thanks a million!

Old 05-24-2010, 08:02 AM
scottmd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mikecap
I just purchased a 2008 Clubman and wasn't able to program my remote using the owner's manual intructions. I went to the dealer and was told that on some models of the 08, the remote wouldn't work. After reading Slinger's instructions, it worked perfectly! Thanks a million!
That's why this place rocks.

I found this thread and bookmarked it before I even took delivery of my car.

First thing I did the day I drove home from the dealership...I pulled up his instructions...followed them...and everything worked instantly just like it should.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:03 PM
onebadscientist
Neutral
Thank you Slinger!!!

Originally Posted by slinger688
With rolling codes, not only do you have to program the transmitter but you also have to synch the garage door opener to understand the rolling code.

This is a two step process.
1. [Have the mini transmitter learn the code]. (which is what you have been doing). On the Mini, press the two outer buttons until it flashes. Choose the button you want to program, press it and hold. Bring portable opener remote to unit and press this it until it changes the flashes. However, it seems to continue to flash after completing the steps but it does not work yet.
2. [Have the garage door opener code synched] Go to the garage door opener and look for a purple button [sometimes blue/other colors depending on the garage door opener maker] and press it. This is sometimes hidden under the light cover, but it always on one of the vertical surfaces of the garage door opener. The garage door opener should now have an LED flashing (in synch mode). Go back into the Mini and now press the button you are programming one more time. The next time you hit the button, it should work.

You only have a couple of minutes to do the entire procedure, so get the ladder and all the stuff ready before trying.

If you still have problems, pm me.
I didn't know about your step two. Worked like a charm!

Last edited by onebadscientist; 07-14-2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: grammar error
Old 07-15-2010, 08:53 PM
theromulus
2nd Gear
This thread saved me a lot of frustration.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:47 PM
MCSonMymind
2nd Gear
thanks for the tip, slinger. i finally figured out my mother in law's garage opening issue and it works great now!

Old 01-02-2011, 09:29 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kikimowse
DITTO

I have a remote that I plug my outdoor Christmas lights into as well as the tree in the house. You guessed it, that sweet little third button on my mirror allows me to turn on my Christmas lights when I drive up to the house during the holidays! Now is that awesome or what?

Thank you for my early Christmas present Slinger and happy holidays to all.
I LOVE this idea! (am shopping for a new garage door opener, stumbled upon this thread...) Though I got my '06 MINI sync'd up with no problems, I NEVER thought of using the other buttons for anything other than my Mom's door...

But to be able to see the lights on the house and tree when I drive up would really be fun - I never get to do so, cause we turn them off when we are not home (doh)...
Now if only I could convince hubby to wire outlets at every window onto a single master switch, operated by remote, that would be the ULTIMATE! Have all those candles turned on too, and withoput running to every single room!

THanks Slinger and Kiki!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Airmikemech
I have the 4" stubby antenna from Craven Sports. Haven't had any problems with it, and it looks better than the stock one.
+1

Old 06-29-2011, 07:25 PM
TA2DMAC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Spice Orange JCW
I just did mine the other day. You must follow the instructions for programing a non rolling code door first. You must bring the remote for the garage door in the car. You must then press the button you want to program on the mirror and the button on the remote at the same time and hold it. The LED will flash slow, when it flashes fast release both buttons. Next press the learn button on your garage door opener. Go back to the car and press the button you were programing. Your garage door light will probably flash and it should be programed.
I just programed our MINI. Glad you said something about going to the opener in the garage and syncing. Thanks

Old 06-29-2011, 07:32 PM
TA2DMAC
3rd Gear
After reading more of the posts, I've decided I'm gonna program the remote light on the house to the car. That way when the wife comes home she can turn on the lights of the house before entering. Great saftey feature. She also likes the idea of the xmas lights too. Way cool guys.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Scooter09
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy crap! I love this forum!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 AM
minirockett
1st Gear
Just got my 2007 MCS yesterday and tried to program the garage door and the first thing I tried to do was clear the old codes by pressing the two outer buttons until it flashes but it never flashed. Car was switched on but not running. Am I doing something wrong or should the light flash when holding the two buttons for 20 seconds.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:32 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by minirockett
Just got my 2007 MCS yesterday and tried to program the garage door and the first thing I tried to do was clear the old codes by pressing the two outer buttons until it flashes but it never flashed. Car was switched on but not running. Am I doing something wrong or should the light flash when holding the two buttons for 20 seconds.
Car needs to be running (engine running) or that is how it is in my 2008 at least. The ONLY time there is power to the controls up there is when the engine is running. This is a safety feature so that if the car is sitting in your driveway and someone breaks your window they can not use the controls to open the garage door.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:36 PM
minirockett
1st Gear
That makes perfectly good since, I understood the manual to say just put the key in but maybe I misread. I will try later when I get home and see if that does it. Thanks for the info. It is amazing to me how complicated this little car is and everything that it is capable of.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The car has to be 'running'! D'oh!

Thanks, folks! Finally got it to program!

Old 06-15-2013, 06:51 PM
perryinva
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This REALLY needs to be a sticky! I upgraded my old static code Genie Blue Max openers to Intellicode with those Genie kits that were available a few years ago for like $60-70, each, but now you can find them on ebay sometimes for under $20, so I bought 2 when they came around to that more reasonable price. Super easy upgrade, works like a champ (they are Intellicode 1 rolling code, so they "only" have 4.3 billion possibilities), with the 2008 R55 S built in Homelink and an external wireless Intellicode security code pushbutton panel, and these instructions. I now have 3 remotes per door that work perfectly with them, except, for some reason, I had to do them all twice. You'd hit the remote and could see the red Learn blink that it got the signal, but the door never moved, like it was the wrong code. Do the exact same thing again, and it all works. Weird. Thanks so much!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 PM
tfawbush
Neutral
Thank you all. Was working fine with older opener then we switched to a new one and this did the trick.

Thanks a lot!

Old 08-26-2014, 08:16 PM
magiccoolbus
Neutral
Just got a new to me Mini R52. 2005 with 29000 miles. First post and first use of search engine to find an answer. Slinger's programming instructions worked like a champ. Thanks.