Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

DIY CVT fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 03:06 PM
justincummings
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gknorr
I'm not sure what's included in the Bentley manual for this - haven't picked up a copy yet (probably should have long ago!).

However, you might find this link useful as a how-to for the fluid change. It's not perfect, but it's at least a good start:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-gen...acement-2.html

Only thing I wouldn't recommend following is his fluid recommendation. I would use either the recommended Esso fluid or a non-slip CVT fluid. Redline makes one which I plan on using.

Also, there seems to be a consensus that you should overfill the fluid, run the car a little, go through all the gear ratios (manual mode), and then open the "fill" plug further up from the drain plug to let the extra fluid drain out. Once the extra fluid drains, you should be good to go.

This picture I grabbed from another forum post somewhere might help.

I would do your filling from the plug on top of the transmission, not the "fill" plug in the above picture. It should be much easier to get to and fill from than the "fill" plug. To get to it, you just have to remove the battery box.

Super helpful! Thanks! I decided to order that Bentley manual anyway. It will get here on Tuesday. The MINI will be in the shop for another few days for a different issue. I have no idea when the CVT fluid was changed last, so that will be my next project. Where is this RedLine fluid available?

Old 02-19-2011, 03:30 PM
vIPkOhH
3rd Gear
Old 02-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Tahoe_Ron
1st Gear
Unless Redline says their fluid is a replacement for EZL 799A, you better be careful. Incidently, I still have 5 qts of EZL 799A that I'll let go for the first $100 + 20 for shipping. I originally had 20 quarts because I could not find it in any smaller size.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:02 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Tahoe_Ron
Unless Redline says their fluid is a replacement for EZL 799A, you better be careful. Incidently, I still have 5 qts of EZL 799A that I'll let go for the first $100 + 20 for shipping. I originally had 20 quarts because I could not find it in any smaller size.
The MINI CVT uses a non-slip metal belt, so I think it is a safe and specific fluid replacement. I'm going to contact Redline to see what they say officially. If/when I hear back from them, I'll post here with what they say.

I'm particularly interested in the Redline stuff because their D4 ATF is, from what I can tell, highly and widely praised. Many say that fluid is better than the official "recommended" fluid. I figure they probably know what they're doing with other fluids as well, including this non-clip CVT fluid. I plan on using for my next fluid change and am expecting it to be better than the Esso.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:14 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Well, I just put my MINI in the Redline search engine on their site and their Non-Slip CVT Fluid did show up as recommended. Here's the site:

http://www.redlineoil.com/application.aspx

I guess I could still try contacting them, but I have a feeling since it shows up as a result in their "Application Search", they're almost certainly going to say it is a recommended and acceptable alternate.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:23 PM
vIPkOhH
3rd Gear
so...any word from redline yet gknorr...Im about to order some fluid from them and do it myself...my cvt is going to hit 30,000 in weeks...

Old 02-27-2011, 06:04 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Try putting your MINI's year/model on the site below. It's Redline's application search, which shows you their recommended fluids/oils for your car:

http://www.redlineoil.com/application.aspx

The Redline Non-Slip CVT fluid pops up as "For use in CVT automatic transaxle" for my '03 MINI CVT, so I would say that means they recommend it. I'm almost certain if I contact them directly they would simply point me to that application search. It was an adequate answer for me and I ordered 5 quarts from Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RED-30804/

I plan on putting it in this week. Will post on any differences I notice.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:34 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Just found the official BMW way of changing the CVT fluid! Here it is:

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/40/64

Enjoy!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:59 PM
vIPkOhH
3rd Gear
wow...you are my hero lol...Have you done yours yet?

Old 03-06-2011, 09:32 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Not yet - I postponed the job so I can get a new fluid filter and put that in too when I do the change. It will be at least a few weeks...

Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 AM
vIPkOhH
3rd Gear
Where could you get a filter?And is it a pita to get the changed?...Thanks

Old 03-06-2011, 09:46 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
You can get a filter kit, which includes a filter, pan gasket, drain plug, and drain plug seal at Pelican Parts:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...20(2005-08)%20

It will be difficult to get the pan off without lowering the sub frame a little because of lack of working space. There is a guy on here who's done it, but even he recommended having more room to work.

Here's the BMW way of doing it:

Removing the pan:
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/40/85

Changing the filter:
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/40/86

Old 03-26-2011, 01:06 PM
vIPkOhH
3rd Gear
just to let you guys know that I decided to change the cvt fluid for my r50 last week with the redline non-slip alternative.Car runs nice and smoother...and theres a big improvement on the lurching behave at slow speed.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:59 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Good to hear. How did you end up doing the change - through the top hole or through the side fill hole?

Now we'll have to see how the fluid stands up over time - I expect it to be just as good or better the Esso stuff.

Still haven't gotten around to mine...but looking forward to experiencing the difference when I do. The new filter should really make a difference on my R50 too (the current one has 115K miles on it!).

Old 04-03-2011, 02:27 PM
miniuser
1st Gear
it has been a while but can you put pictures back up on the site?

thanks

Old 04-03-2011, 02:46 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Full how-to with some pictures here:

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/40/64

Old 02-04-2012, 11:30 AM
jpitchford
2nd Gear
I am servicing my CVT for the first time since it was installed at 97k has 132on it now. I drained about 4.5q out and put 4.5q back in. When i pulled the lower "Fill" plug i removed about 1q. This was after running through all the gears and letting it stand. Not sure what to do at this point. Since i took out 4.5 and am now left with 3.5 in it. I'm thinking i should add back the 1 to make what i took out and whats in there the same. Am i right on this or should i leave out the 1.

Thanks
JOE

Old 02-04-2012, 12:57 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jpitchford
I am servicing my CVT for the first time since it was installed at 97k has 132on it now. I drained about 4.5q out and put 4.5q back in. When i pulled the lower "Fill" plug i removed about 1q. This was after running through all the gears and letting it stand. Not sure what to do at this point. Since i took out 4.5 and am now left with 3.5 in it. I'm thinking i should add back the 1 to make what i took out and whats in there the same. Am i right on this or should i leave out the 1.

Thanks
JOE
Was the car level? Was the car still running and in neutral when you pulled the fill plug?

When I changed my fluid, I filled with 5 quarts (about 4.7 litres) and very little drained out of the fill plug with the car still on and in neutral. The manual calls for filling with 5 litres (about 5.3 quarts) and if less than 0.3 litres comes out it may be underfilled. Because of this, I thought I may have been slightly underfilled, but didn't worry about it.

My guess is you're almost certainly underfilled for some reason or another. If 4.5 came out, at least 4.5, and possibly more should go back in.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:03 PM
jpitchford
2nd Gear
Yes, level on a lift. that was my thought as well. There is 4.5 maybe a little more in there now. im going to drive it a little and check it again tonight. i just want to make sure i have it right.
thanks

Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 PM
jpitchford
2nd Gear
Ok so i took it for a drive put it back on the lift checketo see if the car was level good. Running in neutral pulled the fill plug and a quart of fluid came out again. is it possible that when the trans was rebuild they didn't get the tube put back in right and it let too much out? i know i have 5 in there now and it runs and shifts fine. thanks Joe

Old 02-06-2012, 06:45 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Ok so i took it for a drive put it back on the lift checketo see if the car was level good. Running in neutral pulled the fill plug and a quart of fluid came out again. is it possible that when the trans was rebuild they didn't get the tube put back in right and it let too much out? i know i have 5 in there now and it runs and shifts fine. thanks Joe
Did the rebuilt CVT come from the dealer or from another source? If it's from the dealer, I would think it's unlikely there's a problem with the tranny itself, since they're getting them from the original supplier. If it's not from the dealer...could be more questionable, but who knows for sure.

If it were me, I would trust my first instinct, and same as you, make sure it has a minimum of 4.5 qts in. I'm sure there's wiggle room on the level, just as there is with engine oil, but we don't know for sure what that range is...

Old 02-06-2012, 04:08 PM
jpitchford
2nd Gear
It is a reman directly from Mini and installed at Mini of St. Louis. I know for a fact it has 5qts in it. Everything feels fine, runs drives and shifts fine. Just worried not to f* it up. Is there any thing else i should do now that the fluid has been changed?

Thanks JOE

Old 02-06-2012, 07:37 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
It is a reman directly from Mini and installed at Mini of St. Louis. I know for a fact it has 5qts in it. Everything feels fine, runs drives and shifts fine. Just worried not to f* it up. Is there any thing else i should do now that the fluid has been changed?

Thanks JOE
I think the main thing is being good about changing the fluid. ZF says change it every 45000km (about 28k miles). Putting less stress on it would have to help too - at the heart of the box is a metal belt:

The steel drive belt has approximately 450 segments and is held together by 24 steel bands, 12 on each side.

Mine failed by way of a dead stepper motor (controls the pulley ratio), which actually is a replaceable internal part on the valve body. I was ready to be done with the CVT though and a 6-speed getrag is going in right now...

If you haven't run across this yet, this is good reading for every CVT owner - covers the basics of how the transmission works and it's components:

http://www.lib.ucdavis.edu/dept/pse/...F%20040323.pdf

Old 02-06-2012, 07:40 PM
jpitchford
2nd Gear
Thanks for all your help. I maybe a future 6sp swap as well. I'm trying to buy a junk titled S that was used to fix another one but everything for the swap is there including all the modules.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:39 AM
JBauerIV
Neutral
Would it be possible to suck the fluid out of my cvt from the top fill hole using a suction gun and long tube?

Much like the rounded off motor oil drain plug I found when changing oil last week, the dealer also kindly broke my transmission drain plug when they serviced it last time. See this thread.

I would rather not drop the pan if I don't have to, and I'm assuming a dealer will charge me a fortune to correct the problem they caused in the first place.

Quick Reply: DIY CVT fluid change