Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Cruise control inoperable - need technical help from a BMW/MINI tech

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:41 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise control inoperable - need technical help from a BMW/MINI tech

Alright, I need some ideas here with this one...

I cannot get my cruse to enable on my car. I was trying to relocate the switches, but decided not to, so I put everything back to stock.

I can't even get the green cruise on light on the dash to turn on. Normally, from what I hear cruise problems will usually get a double flash of the green light. My other MFSW features work, so i'm pretty sure its localized to the cruise circuit.

Is there any way to test the cruise system? What is the procedure for testing the brake pedal and clutch pedal switches?

I still need to double check that I reconnected all of the clock spring wiring correctly, as I had the wires out of the connector in the back of the clock spring.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:00 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The brake pedal switch is good if the brake lights come on; also, the accelerator pedal will do nothing if the brake switch is bad.

The clutch switch is good if the starter engages when you step on the clutch and turn the key to start the car.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:08 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by frenchie
The brake pedal switch is good if the brake lights come on; also, the accelerator pedal will do nothing if the brake switch is bad.

The clutch switch is good if the starter engages when you step on the clutch and turn the key to start the car.
My 05 drove fine when the brake switch was bad. I had no idea my brake lights were out.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:05 AM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
My 05 drove fine when the brake switch was bad. I had no idea my brake lights were out.
Interesting, the following is a quote from the "MINI Complete Training Manual". It appears that both contacts for the brake have to fail at the same time or disconnect the switch. Thanks for the feedback. I have been trying to nail down this failure mode for some time!

There are two separate Hall Effect brake-switch inputs into the EMS2000 to allow redundant integrity checking. The signal from the main brake switch is used in the control of both the cruise and drive by wire systems.

If the brake is operated, the system shall suspend the cruise mode, but shall retain any valid target speed in memory. The second switch is used in a safety plausibility check. If at any time the two brake signals are inconsistent, a fault condition is assumed and any accelerator demand will result in no throttle change and the engine will remain at its idle state."