Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Acceleration hesitation/stall on left turn

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:55 PM
McCoin
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acceleration hesitation/stall on left turn

My Clubman automatic has a bad acceleration hesitation when making a left turn from a stop. The hesitation is only for 1 to 2 seconds, but dangerous when moving into traffic. It doesn’t happen all the time, maybe 5 to 10% of the time, usually when accelerating quickly. The outside temperature doesn’t seem to make a difference, it happened this summer and is still happening this winter. It also happens when making right turns, but not nearly as often. I suspect the throttle-by-wire, but without any real reason. Could it be something in the fuel system that is affected when quickly accelerating while making a left turn?

Any one else with this problem?

Any suggestions?

Old 02-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Carve906
5th Gear
Very old post here... but we have the hesitation issue on our Clubbie Cooper auto as well. Doesn't seem to matter if we're turning or not, but it has the hesitation. We had the cpu re-flashed recently and that solved the issue... but the computer seems to have reset its self. Seeing how we are still have an idle issue (the original cause for the re-flash), I'll try to let you know if it helps again and if it 'sticks' this time.

Have you found anything to fix yours?

Old 02-08-2010, 05:17 PM
McCoin
1st Gear
Well I solved my problem, but I feel kind of dumb because it wasn't the car exactly, but me. Although, the car, because of the way the computer controls everything, was the root of the problem.

The issue was that I sometimes break with my left foot. I discovered, that if you lightly touch the break while accelerating, the computer also lifts of the throttle for you – thanks, but no thanks. I noticed on a particular turn I take on the way to work that I tapped the break part way through the turn and that caused the computer to lift off the throttle even though I was still accelerating. Once I was aware of this and stopped touching the break while my foot was on the gas the stalling went away.

Thank you mister computer, I really need you to control everything in my life.

Hope this helps you[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Old 02-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Carve906
5th Gear
Heh, good to know, but must not be the root of our issue, since neither of us use the left foot for braking. Glad to know you got things worked out though!