Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

$2000 for "warranty" work? I'm done with Coopers...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:09 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnieMama
On the other hand, we had an '86 Toyota pickup with almost 200K miles when we sold it and we probably didn't spent more than $3K on it in all those years.
Haha my 1986 Toy PU (winter beater) just turned 270K, and I know Ive spent less than $8,700, which is the total of warranty-work chargebacks for my 2005 S. Did a mental add-up and I think Ive spent less than $4K keeping the Toy running since I bought it new on 12/9/86 with 27 miles on the clock.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini b
Well I just got off the phone with MINI USA. A very nice lady listened to my complaint and politely told me (in so many words) you're SOL. When I mentioned what I had read on here about other owners having this issue addressed with no problems she said "I can't address that issue". Total waste of time.:
I had the same problem when my dual-mass flywheel was squealing. MINI told me in no uncertain terms that they pay a lot of money to have the dealers make the warranty decisions. I went to another dealer and they did it with no questions asked in 48 hours.

I was not happy with MINI corporate. But Prestige Mini was wonderful.

Rich

Old 10-18-2008, 06:17 PM
mini b
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chadtoolio
I would talk to the dealer GM then. All dealers have the capability to do a good will repair on any vehicle they want even if the repair being covered under warranty is in question. I don't think they stand a chance unless your leaving something out of your story.
I actually called the OWNER (who I know). Naturally it was voice mail but he never bothered to return my call. And no, I'm not leaving anything out of my story.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:56 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
For all those who have had your dual mass flywheel changed under warranty........

Did it permanently fix your problem?

What exactly is wrong with the flywheel? I have not seen one of these out of the car, but to me a flywheel is a solid lump of metal that the clutch bolts to and the starter engages - so what the heck is wrong with them?

I've also heard that the "chewbacca sound" is nothing more than glazing of the disc - if this is the case other than being a little annoying once in a while, what does it hurt?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:01 AM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 10-19-2008, 04:02 PM
javelina1
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mini b
Problem with that is the next closest dealer is in Orange County (I live in N. San Diego County). I don't think it would be worth the 2 hour drive (plus agro of OC traffic) just be told the same thing. This issue is probably part of the problem. ONE Mini dealership in SD County. ONE. They have a corner on the market.

What really bugs me is I used to have a really good service advisor. Very helpful, seemed to really care about his customers etc etc. He has since left and moved to the east coast. The guy that took his place came from a local Chevy dealer (Gee...ya think maybe that's part of the problem too?) and treats me like I'm just another number on his appointment board. I've bought six cars from this dealership since 1993. Four BMW's and two MINI's. This is the thanks I get.
one dealership for a city? how about one dealership for the entire state, (AZ). Lucky!

Old 10-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
For all those who have had your dual mass flywheel changed under warranty........Did it permanently fix your problem?
In my case it did.

Originally Posted by MINIdave
What exactly is wrong with the flywheel? I have not seen one of these out of the car, but to me a flywheel is a solid lump of metal that the clutch bolts to and the starter engages - so what the heck is wrong with them?

I've also heard that the "chewbacca sound" is nothing more than glazing of the disc - if this is the case other than being a little annoying once in a while, what does it hurt?
What you have heard is wrong. Our flywheels are dual-mass. Two hunks of metal with a rubber connector. Absolutely not a solid hunk of metal. Remember your old Chevy (insert any old car you owed) clutch disk had that center section with the springs? That took up the jolt of the hookup. On our cars that function had been engineered into our flywheels.

When mine whet bad the sound was VERY annoying. And when we took it apart and looked closely it seems that there would be no functional problem over time but it clearly should not be making any noise. Mine was changed under warranty and when we were in there I put a new pressure plate, disk and bearing in there for good measure. The labor for the job at a dealer is about $1500 so I figured a few bucks in new parts was a good investment.