Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Location of Instrument Cluster Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Jon@TheMshop
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Location of Instrument Cluster Control Module

Hey guys!

I have a 2003 Mini Cooper S (09/02 prod date) with Navigation.

Customer complaint is that the dual instrument cluster behind the steering wheel is completely dead. No light and needles do not move. With the GT1 we got the following fault code:

30 - Control module fault. occurred 35 times.

67 - CAN Bus, no message 1 from KOM2. occurred 45 times.

Performed a test module and GT1 says to replace Instrument Cluster Control Module.

I ordered a new instrument cluster, installed it, recode and program it, and it doesn't work!

When I checked the wiring diagrams it shows that the instrument cluster control module is located behind the dash between the center vents. All the pictures shows that the control unit is behind a speedometer without NAV in the center.

Can anyone confirm if there is an instrument cluster control module behind the NAV screen? I don't want to waste an hour and risk breaking clips just to remove the NAV screen and find out it's not there.

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:27 AM
SRICHS
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dead Cluster

Originally Posted by Jon@TheMshop
Hey guys!

I have a 2003 Mini Cooper S (09/02 prod date) with Navigation.

Customer complaint is that the dual instrument cluster behind the steering wheel is completely dead. No light and needles do not move. With the GT1 we got the following fault code:

30 - Control module fault. occurred 35 times.

67 - CAN Bus, no message 1 from KOM2. occurred 45 times.

Performed a test module and GT1 says to replace Instrument Cluster Control Module.

I ordered a new instrument cluster, installed it, recode and program it, and it doesn't work!

When I checked the wiring diagrams it shows that the instrument cluster control module is located behind the dash between the center vents. All the pictures shows that the control unit is behind a speedometer without NAV in the center.

Can anyone confirm if there is an instrument cluster control module behind the NAV screen? I don't want to waste an hour and risk breaking clips just to remove the NAV screen and find out it's not there.

Thanks!
which cluster did you replace, the one over the steering wheel or the one with the nav screen?

check fuse 21 - thats usually the reason for those faults.

you should have replaced the cluster over the steering wheel.

The nav sits in a housing that s considered a cluster, and it comes out just like a non- nav center cluster.

If you have any other ?'s about this call me..

Rich 630-675-8646

Old 10-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Jon@TheMshop
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SRICHS
which cluster did you replace, the one over the steering wheel or the one with the nav screen?

check fuse 21 - thats usually the reason for those faults.

you should have replaced the cluster over the steering wheel.

The nav sits in a housing that s considered a cluster, and it comes out just like a non- nav center cluster.

If you have any other ?'s about this call me..

Rich 630-675-8646
Yes we replaced the dual instrument cluster behind the steering wheel. Didn't touch anything around the NAV screen.

So I take it there is an instrument cluster control module behind the NAV screen? If there is I could not find it on the ETK.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:05 AM
ycjim
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same error code. Did you ever get this fixed?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Diezzler
1st Gear
Not to hijack the tread, but I replaced my dual gauge cluster also, only with the one from the chrono package that has the built in computer LCD. Everything works fine, except all the indicator light positions on this cluster are different than the old one, but when the car wants to indicate something, it lights up the light in the old position. Does anyone know which module controls this and does anyone know the specific programming that needs to be changed? I'm pretty sure it'll be some hexadecimal code on one of the modules, but I have no idea which one nor what corresponds to what in the hexadecimal code. Any help would be much appreciated. Been trying to figure this out for over a year. I am a programmer by profession.

Thanks

Old 05-25-2011, 10:38 PM
firehawk618
2nd Gear
Your module IS your nav screen unit.

To the person talking about the wrong lights flashing in the correct position.

There's nothing you can do about this. That command and info is coded to the center module, whether it's chrono, nav or speedo there. That's the one that drives the gauge on the steering column.

Been there, done that, put it back to stock.

I went from center speedo to chrono. Had it all working 99 percent, the ONLY thing wrong was the displayed miles.

Didn't like chrono so put back the speedo / single gauge.

When I was doing all the swapping I messed with all the different combo's and there is no work around to put the dual gauges on the column with a speedo in the center unless somone can do custom code modification and can get it to load to the center module. I know of no-one that can.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:40 PM
firehawk618
2nd Gear
Now you COULD dismantle and swap the overlay's BUT your led color will be wrong on some indicators. If you are handy with surfacemount led's then I suppose you could swap the right color led's in.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:37 PM
m.huzaim
Neutral
Hello
I have mini cooper s 2008
I want to replace the original radio to kinwood DVD
Are there any problems if not used cluster??
regard