Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MINI is seriously needing help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 03:53 PM
conejo
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long story short, There is no dealer here in El Salvador Central America, and I flodded my MIni with water in the oil, in the air filter. No water in the gas tank, we already cleaned it and the engine does turn but electronically when I connect the batery all lights, headlights, tail lights, inside lights, speedo lights get ON and it does not start. The ECU should be okay (the one in the engine besides the air fliter)we openned and it has no water and them close it
We changed the oil, cleaned what could be cleaned but no good results on starting
Please need your expertise, what can it be. It is a 2003 Mini cooper S with all the goddies. and it has no reset swicth up to were we can see. I had a 2002 and it had a reset swicth in the left hand side of the engine compartmente. But this 2003 does not have one or cannot find it.
Please again somebody help me. :???: :???:

Old 09-07-2003, 04:03 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
Well, what happens when the engine turns on the starter? Does there appear to be any sign of ignition, popping from the exhaust?

Old 09-07-2003, 04:11 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
You didn't say how this happened but is there a chance you shorted out the coil packs on top of the cam cover where it says MINI?

Old 09-07-2003, 04:17 PM
canajun
2nd Gear
Or if you got water in the cylinders themselves. If the engine isn't turning over at all it could be hydro-locked. If you sucked water in through the intake, that may be possible. Give us some more detail on exactly what it's doing ... or not doing.

Good Luck!

Geoff

Old 09-08-2003, 12:14 PM
conejo
Neutral
The engine turns when you turn from the outside of the car, but with the key nothing happens because when you put the key in on position all lights turn on, even the speedometer lights and tach lights, but it does not start. It is like the CPU is protected herself and I need to reset somewhere or somehow
Thanks for your interest in my problem. We have cleaned all the inside of the engine, we even took the carter off and sprayed WD40 and took the water away.
How do I reset the CPU??

Old 09-08-2003, 12:27 PM
C4
Banned
>>The engine turns when you turn from the outside of the car, but with the key nothing happens because when you put the key in on position all lights turn on, even the speedometer lights and tach lights, but it does not start. It is like the CPU is protected herself and I need to reset somewhere or somehow
>>Thanks for your interest in my problem. We have cleaned all the inside of the engine, we even took the carter off and sprayed WD40 and took the water away.
>>How do I reset the CPU??

Hola Conejo:

Question...is your MINI "American" or "Euro" spec? Did you import it from the United States or from Mexico?

I think than in order to reset the CPU you will need to gain access to a BMW computer tech tool. Other than that you could try connecting and reconnecting the battery. There has to be some sort of "switch" somewhere in the car.

Have you tried taking the car or consulting about the problem with your local BMW dealer in San Salvador?

Good luck amigo.

Old 09-08-2003, 12:35 PM
ppanther
2nd Gear
Mi querido Rabbit

You are saying that all the lights turn on but when you try to start the engine nothing happens??? does the starter is cranking the engine when you try to start the engine ????

If not the problem is the starter. You are getting electicity to all the car but the starter is not, so you may have short your starter.

Carlos

Old 09-08-2003, 12:47 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This could be caused by the starter disable circuit which reads the 'chip' inside the key. The ECU or the key reader circuit could be damaged or acting strange. Did you get water inside the passenger compartment? If so, the Body Control Module might have been damaged. It communicates with the engine ECU under the hood. The BCM is mounted behind the right side kick panel below the dash. If my memory serves, the BCM stores all the 'codes' for the keyless entry among other things.

Try drying this out, but be sure to disconnect the battery for a long time to 'reset' the computers. If indeed the BCM was soaking in water, there is a very good chance it was damaged and will need to be replaced, this would also require dealer programming.

Did you try to 'push start' the car? If push starting (key in the run position, push the car and pop the clutch with the car in 2nd gear once you are moving) does not get the engine running, then you have electronic problems, If pushing does start the car, you have starter troubles.

Old 09-08-2003, 01:08 PM
conejo
Neutral
Thanks for your ideas, i will be doing this in a moment and keep you posted later.
Will check the side BCM, Buy the way my Mini is imported forn the USA
Thanks you all

Old 09-08-2003, 01:19 PM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having no technical expertise, I can only offer "Mini prayers". May the gods of oil, metal, rubber, plastic and gasoline shine apon you and deliver you from your distress. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2003, 01:20 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Conejo,

My recommendation is to check cas many circuits as you can, in an attempt to isolate the problem. When its down to just one or two, call your dealer in the USA, and have them ship you the replacement part DHL, or by another international courrier. Central America was my home for 10 years (Honduras, Guatemala, Panama). Sorry but, as you know it is aToyota friendly region, not eurocar friendly. Find a competent mechanic in the town where you are, check the compression on each cylinder, dry out everything twice.

Word to the wise. You would be much better off in Salvador with a Toyota or Nissan 4wd, dude. Leave the MINI for the areas where there is a dealership network. These are unfortunately tempermental cars.

Old 09-08-2003, 01:26 PM
C4
Banned
>>Conejo,
>>
>>My recommendation is to check cas many circuits as you can, in an attempt to isolate the problem. When its down to just one or two, call your dealer in the USA, and have them ship you the replacement part DHL, or by another international courrier. Central America was my home for 10 years (Honduras, Guatemala, Panama). Sorry but, as you know it is aToyota friendly region, not eurocar friendly. Find a competent mechanic in the town where you are, check the compression on each cylinder, dry out everything twice.
>>
>>Word to the wise. You would be much better off in Salvador with a Toyota or Nissan 4wd, dude. Leave the MINI for the areas where there is a dealership network. These are unfortunately tempermental cars.

I second that. I think having such sophisticated car with virtually zero dealer and parts support is crazy. I have heard of people bringing new MINIs into Colombia, where then again there is no MINI dealer network (But very good BMW and Mercedes dealers).

Old 09-08-2003, 01:37 PM
julianvh
3rd Gear
That is what I was going to tell you Conejo, just go to the BMW main dealer in SAN SALVADOR, and the the guys to help you with the ecu programing, they usually are helpfull.

Regarding the Minis in COLOMBIA, i was there 3 months ago and for my surprize yes I saw a good 10 or 15... pretty good for non dealer contry, most of these cars are own buy young guys really into motor sports, but onece again I Know the BMW dealers are a good surce for these cars in LA contries.

Old 09-08-2003, 08:17 PM
conejo
Neutral
Thanks you all for your comments and help, specially the one with the prayers,
Well, we cleaned every fuse and sprayed WD40 in the BCM andd began working with the ECU I press and hold the trip odometer and inserted the key till the RESET ANd TEST appeared in the speedo. By mistake I pressed the key to the start position and a complete test was mayde from the ECU. It tested himself all the lights and numbers in the speedo. It is very nice to see.
But the engine did not startet. The starter motor just makes a click but doesnot and in very small cases the motor is turned just about one or two turns. We are going to check it tomorrow maybe the bendix is bad or the carbons.
Also as gREATBEAR says, my car has the original alarm and I suspect something has happened with it and with reading the key, because the key does not open the doors automatically as always did. The samll red light of the alarm does not light and it doesnot honk. Also when I connect the batery the headlights turn on and cannot be turned off by any means. The radio turns on but it doesnot sound I can change stations, etc. but no sound
Well tomorrow will continue to work in it, because now the oil is clean new air filter
Also, the BMW dealership here in San Salvador is not a good shop, but it is a good suggestion ans I will visit them tomorrow.

Old 09-09-2003, 06:42 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Conejo,
If the starter motor is making a click but not turning, it seems like the solonoid is working, the starter may be jammed against the flywheel. Just for kicks, try unbolting the starter motor, removing it and then re-attaching it. It may work. Also, there is a possibility that the water caused the starter to short out. When you remove it, check the circuitry. If it's bad, this may be the part that you get via your US dealer.
Buena Suerte, Bunnyman.

Old 09-09-2003, 01:40 PM
chollomo
4th Gear
I don't knwo how it works in El salvador but if you have jsut Call mini roadside assistance.. if you can....
-Chris