Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Yellow CEL: Increased Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:06 AM
giantjoe
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellow CEL: Increased Emissions

Hi all, I've heard about yellow CEL and they are a pain in the ... Here is my story.

I live in Canada, and it's cold here. These problems were all happening around freezing or just above. In the morning I went out to start my car. Started fine happy happy. AS I got out on the street I accelerate normally and the gas cap light flashes a bit. I get out take the cap off, put it back on and the light goes away. fine.

Next day nearly the same thing. This happens repeatedly for about a week. Not every day but often. I figure this is a bad sensor so I start ignoring the light.

Well, turns out ignoring the light wasn't cool. The light kind of freaked out then the check engine light came on. It persisted for weeks until I finally got an appointment at my dealer. They plugged the key into the reader and it said excessive emissions or something like that. They fixed it and said I had left the gas cap loose. I was happy to have it back and neglected to say anything about the fact I didn't have a loose gas cap. Problem solved...

Three weeks later the gas cap alarm started again. I kept trying to tighten it this time. One time in the afternoon I got in the car and hurried away (engine was stone cold). The yellow engine outline came on again. It's been about a week now and it shows no sign of going away. Oh well, I set up an appointment again, hopefully it'll be resolved this time.

I just did this so others could see what happened to my car and if anyone else has had the same scenario. I'm happy with the car, I'm not complaining. This is an information post.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:37 PM
russr
5th Gear
What week build do you have? This was a known issue on the R56s and I was told that there's nothing wrong with the gas cap, it was the software that was problematic. I would push for a software update if I were you. My MA told me many times before I picked up the car that if this happened to come back for a software update.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 PM
giantjoe
2nd Gear
August... Maybe week 32?

Old 05-07-2008, 06:21 AM
russr
5th Gear
Yeah get it updated when you take it back. Mini releases new software almost weekly.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:30 PM
giantjoe
2nd Gear
When I took the car in for service (took a long time to get an appt), they told me that it was the tank vent valve not closing. additionally, Canada doesn't have the same service updates as USA is what my SA told me so maybe it wasn't possible. They had to get a part from Germany and another two weeks. I finally got it solved today, drove my car home and I was quite happy.

Went to Dairy Queen for a Blizzard after I came home. I drove for about a block and I got another gas cap light. I really hope it doesn't trigger another CEL... I'll update when anything else happens.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:21 AM
ACooperS
3rd Gear
What's happening now with your car. Curious because I have something similar?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:20 AM
giantjoe
2nd Gear
well it turns out that I knocked a hole in my charcoal canister. Turns out they misdiagnosed it the first time. I have to pay for a dtml pump and a new canister.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:31 AM
maximoose
2nd Gear
I am currently getting this error - Excessive Emissions. Should I remove my ALTA intake (the only mod) before taking it in?

Old 08-17-2008, 04:12 PM
ACooperS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by maximoose
I am currently getting this error - Excessive Emissions. Should I remove my ALTA intake (the only mod) before taking it in?
Just curious; do you know if the error code is 276A?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 AM
maximoose
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ACooperS
Just curious; do you know if the error code is 276A?
It's an R56S with Navi, so the actually error appears, not the code. But strangely enough, and just like that the error disappeared.