Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Replacing rear wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 01:00 PM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing rear wheel bearing?

As the title states - can't find anything about it. How do I replace the rear wheel bearing??

Old 12-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Straight forward

Haynes chapter 10, section 9 = rear hub and bearings, inspection and renewal...

If you're gonna DIY to this level I'd recommend a Haynes or A Bentley ....

if you want what Haynes says PM me ... but there's no curveballs in here other than "the wheel bearings are integral with the hub and are not available separately"

You take off the brake, undo the ABS/speed sensor then 4 bolts hold the hub. Hub bolts = 41 ft lb; speed sensor 6 ft lb

Last edited by Capt_bj; 12-11-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:39 PM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
Haynes chapter 10, section 9 = rear hub and bearings, inspection and renewal...

If you're gonna DIY to this level I'd recommend a Haynes or A Bentley ....

if you want what Haynes says PM me ... but there's no curveballs in here other than "the wheel bearings are integral with the hub and are not available separately"

You take off the brake, undo the ABS/speed sensor then 4 bolts hold the hub. Hub bolts = 41 ft lb; speed sensor 6 ft lb
That easy huh? I was looking at it and thought that was all it was. Sounds just like the front hubs on my old Cherokee - that simple, except there's no half shaft passing through this one lol

I've been working on cars long enough to know all the basics, it's just the vehicle specific stuff I ask about from time to time. I know my rear hubs on my e30 have to be pressed in and out with a special tool, as I've done a handful of those, but I knew since these were non-drive wheels the hubs would likely be integral and it'd be fairly straightforward.

Now - where to buy them? MINI wants $250...

Old 12-11-2007, 02:32 PM
rl48mini
2nd Gear
do a search as this has been covered before. I think the company is something like Germanautoparts.com or something like that. Their price was just under 200 if I recall correctly. One thing to watch is the screw that retains the rotor. Mine were rusted tight. The rear came out okay but the front snapped off.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:01 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do not remove the wheel speed sensor. you don't have to and more than not is probably gonna be rusted stuck.

just remove the t50 torx holding the rotor to the hub and the 2 13mm bolts holding the caliper braket to the hub and pull off the rotor/caliper/braket together off of the hub.

then remove the 4 13mm bolts holding the bearing in place and replace it. apply anti seize on the bolts going back and torque to spec. good luck!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:14 PM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rl48mini
do a search as this has been covered before. I think the company is something like Germanautoparts.com or something like that. Their price was just under 200 if I recall correctly. One thing to watch is the screw that retains the rotor. Mine were rusted tight. The rear came out okay but the front snapped off.
Done a few searches - can't find anything aside from front bearing posts.

I can get an aftermarket bearing for $150 - I just feel like that's a lot of dough for a bearing, when I buy a pair of bearings for my e30 for $60 shipped...

Dealer I bought my MINI from replaced front rotors and pads - snapped the heads off both rotor set screws. Why are these so beefy? The small allen screws that hold my e30 rotors in are fine...seem like these are more trouble than they're worth.

Originally Posted by joey1320
Do not remove the wheel speed sensor. you don't have to and more than not is probably gonna be rusted stuck.

just remove the t50 torx holding the rotor to the hub and the 2 13mm bolts holding the caliper braket to the hub and pull off the rotor/caliper/braket together off of the hub.

then remove the 4 13mm bolts holding the bearing in place and replace it. apply anti seize on the bolts going back and torque to spec. good luck!
That's it?? Any e-brake hardware to deal with? That's way too easy

Old 12-12-2007, 05:08 AM
joey1320
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gokaht

That's it?? Any e-brake hardware to deal with? That's way too easy

just keep the e-brake on so the caliper holds onto the rotor. then remove the whole thing and let it hang.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:52 PM
rl48mini
2nd Gear
It's not just a bearing that's replaced on the MINI. The replacement part includes the stub axle and the bearing housing. The carrier/caliper mounting bracket is about the only part left on the car. There's a similar set-up in the front with the CV joint passing through the bearing. That's why the cost is up there. You can't just get the bearing as it's pressed in. Apparently the factory (or at least the design engineers) don't think their mechanics are capable of that task.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:05 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rl48mini
It's not just a bearing that's replaced on the MINI. The replacement part includes the stub axle and the bearing housing. The carrier/caliper mounting bracket is about the only part left on the car. There's a similar set-up in the front with the CV joint passing through the bearing. That's why the cost is up there. You can't just get the bearing as it's pressed in. Apparently the factory (or at least the design engineers) don't think their mechanics are capable of that task.

the bearings are not pressed in, you are right. but thats actually less expensive since you will pay at least 1 hour at $90+ per hour for the install plus the parts. so for do it yourself'r then its better to get the whole piece together and swap it out in less than 1/2 hour.

anywas gokaht, good luck and take your time, it will be ok!

Old 04-24-2008, 04:48 AM
cycleway4
2nd Gear
I just replaced a rear wheel bearing,...wanted to pass along a great source/price for the assembly....
Above All Motorwerks........$139.00 w/free shipping....
[SKF bearing/hub assembly/made in the UK ]
very easy to replace as mentioned above, dont forget a new rotor screw in case yours gets messed up.

Steve