Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Air Leak in Window/Door Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Dennis H.
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wind noise

My wind noise is on the passenger side, it is very load. It starts some where between 100 and 105 mph and gets loader the fast I go. At this speed I can't lean over to the passenger side to find where it is comminig from. Unfortunately I can't find some one to ride with me to find where it is comeing from. Oh well on the track I just leave the windows down any way.
Dennis

Old 05-28-2008, 07:59 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
update

Update about my driver side window air noise/leak. After the left quarter-panel got replaced after an accident, the noise is much less noticeable. I don't hear it now unless I try to. It now blends in the background of my other rattles and noises.

I don't suggest getting in an accident as a fix, though.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:39 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
do you realise you just admited to rampant speeding on the street?
I win.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:56 PM
jkieffer72
1st Gear
I have a noise similar to what is being described here. I have had the car nearly a month and it was there from day one. I have had it back to the dealership once. The adjusted the window. It seemed better at the time; but now seems worse if anything, about 2 weeks later.

I have noticed if I run the windshield washer and get some liquid flowing back over the door the noise goes away entirely, but comes back within a minute ror two.... I have also noticed that the passenger side window appears to seal tighter than the driver side.

I am tempted to try the DIY add a piece of foam and see what happens. I'm also tempted to take it back to the dealer and let them take another try at it. . .

If I could trade my car back in and "loose" only $600; I'd be tempted to do so and upgrade to an "S"...

Last edited by jkieffer72; 06-11-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: added more information
Old 06-19-2008, 06:06 AM
Ekko
Neutral
Just bought a new Cooper S and started hearing the air noise while driving the car home from the dealer. After a light rain overnight, the next day I opened the driver side door and saw that the weatherstrip was wet exactly where lacning74 placed foam in his pictures. Looks like that's the spot causing air noise for me.

Thanks for posting, guys. Guess I'll trek back to the dealer for a fix.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:13 AM
jkieffer72
1st Gear
I've got a call into the dealership to schedule mine in for service a second time.

I've noticed two things I think are contributing to the noise:

1) The driver side door does not close as tightly as the passenger side. The chrome trim strip under the window (Beltline) does not line up the same on both sides. The driver's side is sticking out about 1/8" further than the passenger side. This would likely result in the gap that has been mentioned.

2) The driver side window does not line up the same as the passenger side. Looking at the rear edge of the window on the passenger side, the glass pretty much covers the rubber seal behind it. On the driver's side it looks like the top of the window is tilted towards the front of the car; with about 3/16" of the rubber seal behind the window exposed. There is enough of a gap that I can push in on the seal on the driver's side. I suspect this is the source of my wind noise.

I had not noticed #2 above until last night. I had my windows tinted yesterday and was taking a close look at the tint job and noticed the window was out of whack a bit.

I'll post a follow up after I've had it in for the dealer to look at. It will probably be later next week before I can get it in for service.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:38 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Good luck guys! My driver's side had the same beltline trim alignment and tilted window issue as described above. The dealer realigned my window, but that didn't help. The sound for me was not really from the window seal, but from the back door edge where I had reinforced with foam. I actually took my car to two dealers who said the noise was not out of the ordinary. Funny thing is, my loaner MC's driver door was much quieter and acceptable, but it did have a sunroof noise problem. Anyway, as I mentioned, after the body shop repaired my driver side rear quarter-panel, the sound was much improved and probably as good as it can get with the door design.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:44 AM
advoco
Neutral
Originally Posted by lacning74
Good luck guys! My driver's side had the same beltline trim alignment and tilted window issue as described above. The dealer realigned my window, but that didn't help. The sound for me was not really from the window seal, but from the back door edge where I had reinforced with foam. I actually took my car to two dealers who said the noise was not out of the ordinary. Funny thing is, my loaner MC's driver door was much quieter and acceptable, but it did have a sunroof noise problem. Anyway, as I mentioned, after the body shop repaired my driver side rear quarter-panel, the sound was much improved and probably as good as it can get with the door design.
Hey man, I know this is an old thread, but I'm getting similar wind noise as you, coming from the back of the passenger's door (right next to the window).
Do you still have the pictures you uploaded 11 years ago? :P They are not available right now, and I would love to see what you have done to fix this.