Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Steering Angle Sensor (SZL) Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 05:25 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steering Angle Sensor (SZL) Failure

So today I start up the car after work, and after hitting 10MPH I get the chime, and when I look down, the DSC and brake lights are on solid yellow.

I stop, turn off the car, check the manual, start it up again and watch, I see nothing, so I drive off, and at abotu 10MPH it shows me in the square bit of the tach that DSC is off, then the indication suspension control failed, then maybe another symbol -- it was not the runflat warning or the electical system failure -- then it goes away to being the solid yellow DSC and brake light.

So I check the manual and that appears to be that hill assist has failed, and sure enough, it has. The other thing I'm noticing is that the turn signal won't stop itself after a 90 degree turn. I stop the car again later, start it up, same thing. No hill assist, but no warning until I'm past about 10 MPH.

So I drive home, turn it off at the mailbox so I can make a mental note of the exact sequence of warning lights, and --- nothing. No chimes, no lights.

So later I might try again and see what happens. Any thoughts? (Yeah, I know, take it to the dealer ASAP...that bit I know, but with the nearest one 75 miles away unless it's a serious problem, it won't be immedately.)

Old 08-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Sindarin
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwdyer
The other thing I'm noticing is that the turn signal won't stop itself after a 90 degree turn.
Sounds like an SZL (steering angle sensor) fault since the turn signals use the SZL to cancel.
It will have set a fault so the only thing I can recommend is to take it to your dealer as you've already said.
As far as seriousness of the fault you obviously wont have DSC but you will have ABS functinality still so its not as if the car is undriveable.
If you want to try duplicating the fault again start the car and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock (full left to full right) and see what happens. May or may not set the fault again if it is intermittent.

Cheers

Old 08-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Phantom07
Neutral
Mine is doing the exact same thing. I took it to the dealership and service guy told me something about a bad sensor. He told me mine isn't the only one doing it and the part is on back order. He's gonna call me when it comes in.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:07 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
I wonder if the sensor could be affected by heat?

Today was the first time I noticed it over 103 on the MINI's display, and it "went away" after it cooled down. Haven't gone out to try it again, but I'm about to.

...and it worked for a while, but then came on again during a left turn. Turn signals worked until then, so I'd say this is it. I'll give the dealer a call. It might be a while before I can get up there, but if parts are scarce, that just might work.

Last edited by dwdyer; 08-13-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Pauly
Neutral
Same problem - mine's in the shop waitng for backordered parts. When I first called they knew right away what the issue was and wanted the car in the shop - so now I'm in a loaner Mini...

Old 08-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Phantom07
Neutral
so did they tell you it was unsafe to drive? when i asked he told me it was fine...i better call tomorrow.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:26 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*cough*Body Control Module*cough*

or actually the *cough* SZL *cough*

BTW - it's on national backorder.

Last edited by MotorMouth; 08-16-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:34 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Great. The dealer I bought from doesn't do loaners for warranty repair (only maintenance and recall) and I doubt the closer dealer will do a loaner on a car they didn't sell, so now I'm afraid to call.

Also I find when I turn the car off, if I don't hold the button down, the windshield wipers come on, and wont go off until I turn the car off fully.

Last edited by dwdyer; 08-16-2007 at 04:35 PM. Reason: forgot about the wipers
Old 08-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Pauly
Neutral
Regarding "unsafe" to drive...The ABS wont function, the DCS wont function, the wipers usually work - they would come on when the key was put in and wouldn't shut off until the engine started (I kept thinking I bumped the switch). While I was sitting there at the service desk someone else was calling in with the same issues except he was also having problems with headlights. Apparently all this info goes thru the same communication buss.

My dealer (both service and MA) said as long as the lights were amber it was ok to drive to in (didn't need to tow) but they strongly urged to get it in and fixed.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:13 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
You know that foggy crap that gets on the inside of your windows and everyone says it's outgassing from the plastics? Same thing is happening to your SZL optics in the steering wheel. Except it can't be cleaned off requiring replacement of the SZL.

If your SA doesn't know about it tell them to look up SI M 34 01 07.

Last edited by MotorMouth; 08-16-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:04 PM
minigt3
1st Gear
exact situation with mine. DSC light + brake + wipers + turn signals. Have been waiting for part (internal control module) for almost a month. I have almost a 1k miles since. Will go off upon restarting the car and then come on every now and then. Mountain view Mini.....

Old 08-17-2007, 03:42 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Taking it in Tuesday. They said there were two recalls on it as well. (One of which I hope is the secret compartment...)

Old 08-19-2007, 02:18 AM
MIN 18
3rd Gear
Guys! I had my DSC light and Brake light warning in yellow. They've been coming ON and OFF intermitently. Plus I got the wiper problem also but goes away once the car is started.

Problems:
1.) Car is in the Philippines... I imported the car from the US. Dealer is ASSAEL MINI.

2.) BMW Philippines don't give a damn about my problem since they didn't bring the MINI to our country.

3.) How hard is it to swap the internal control module? We have service centers here that specialize in "imported vehicles" including the mini. I don't know if they can perform the control module swap.

4.) Is there really a recall? If yes, can you guys send me a link to the recall or post it here? Since I need all the info I can get to send it to the guy who imported the car for me. I need to forward to him the recall details.

5.) Is there a site that will check if my VIN number is covered by the recall?

Thanks to all those who will assist me. I wish there is a MINI dealer here!!!:impatient

Old 08-19-2007, 07:25 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
I didn't get DSC.= One less trip to the dealer.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:20 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Well, it is the steering angle sensor, so I'm stuck driving a (drumroll) Nissan Versa for an estimated two weeks.

The other two bulletins were for the "CD Changer" (aka secret compartment) and the alternator cable.

MIN 18: I think someone posted the service bulletin ID on this thread. That may be of some help.

Edit: SI M 34 01 07 (from up there in the thread)

Old 08-21-2007, 02:35 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
wth ?

why did mini usa put you into a nissan versa ?

Guess they dont break down as much?

Old 08-21-2007, 04:10 PM
korby
6th Gear
dwdyer I'd like a review of the Versa after 2 weeks if I get tired of Mini problems mabey I'll go that route .(:

Old 08-21-2007, 07:34 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
wth ?

why did mini usa put you into a nissan versa ?

Guess they dont break down as much?
The dealer (MINI+BMW) has a handful of loaners and uses Enterprise car rental as their loaner car system for the excess. My wife's never had a MINI loaner there. Once it was a 325i, another time an X5. Still they make you sign all the rental agreement paperwork. Probably cheaper for them in the long run to subcontract it. Enterprise has a desk at the dealer.

I did get MINI loaner at Moritz while they installed my driving lamps, they just handed me the keys to an '05 MC.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:42 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by korby
dwdyer I'd like a review of the Versa after 2 weeks if I get tired of Mini problems mabey I'll go that route .(:
I can tell ya now -- this is the four door model hatchback CX-7 wannabe -- it's not bad for what it is, but the dash design is abysmal and the base model has no mid-range acceleration to speak of. CVT. Leg room sucks. (Base seats aren't height-adjustable. Cheap plastic everywhere. Crappy upholstery. Average rental car quality. Ugly pasty red color. Pinkish tail lights like other Nissans. Lots of cup holders though. Quiet. Smooth, inoffensive ride.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:43 PM
MIN 18
3rd Gear
dwdyer, Thanks for the info. So you have the exact same problem as mine? I contacted the dealership where my mini came from and they don't know this problem. I emailed them and quotes the service bulletin number you pointed out.

So is the internal control module the same thing as steering wheel angle sensor? or are these 2 different things?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:09 AM
minigt3
1st Gear
dwdyer,
any replacement yet?

Old 08-30-2007, 03:04 AM
flaco
4th Gear
I have the same problems. Waiting on part. Dealer says at least a month wait. Driving loaner - miniusa pays for it on basis of safety.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:40 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by ndmyr
I have the same problems. Waiting on part. Dealer says at least a month wait. Driving loaner - miniusa pays for it on basis of safety.
WTF I would be pitching a fit and getting a new car

Old 08-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Pauly
Neutral
Switch was replaced and I didn't even get the key back - the guy pulling it around said the lights came back on ....nooooo! Found out the replacement part was bad too. So the wait continues - been about a month.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Phantom07
Neutral
still waiting...they won't get give me a loaner either. service manager told me that mini is "investigating" and that he will call me when a "release" is authorized. whatever that means. i'm starting to regret buying it.

Quick Reply: Steering Angle Sensor (SZL) Failure