Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Oil like substance leaking onto front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 06:15 PM
ramtaajogi
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil like substance leaking onto front bumper

I just got my car 2 week ago and saw some oil like sustance leaking onto my front bumber. I opened my hood and took some pictures of where the stuff was coming from. Looks like some type of lube. Is this a problem? or just something that happens.

i uploaded my pictures to flickr. thanks for your help.

the pictures are from the underside of the hood in case you cant tell.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25622707@N00/

Old 08-02-2007, 06:23 PM
masterd78
MANIAC
I have read about some sort of coating to prevent the ocean salt from ruinning the paint. And when it gets hot it starts to drip like that. Anyone with experience is this what that is? I don't have mine yet, but would like to know what to look for when she comes.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:26 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by masterd78
I have read about some sort of coating to prevent the ocean salt from ruinning the paint. And when it gets hot it starts to drip like that. Anyone with experience is this what that is? I don't have mine yet, but would like to know what to look for when she comes.
That's exactly what it is...it's called cosmolene.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:27 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Originally Posted by ramtaajogi
I just got my car 2 week ago and saw some oil like sustance leaking onto my front bumber. I opened my hood and took some pictures of where the stuff was coming from. Looks like some type of lube. Is this a problem? or just something that happens.

i uploaded my pictures to flickr. thanks for your help.

the pictures are from the underside of the hood in case you cant tell.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25622707@N00/
It's cosmolene and it's easy to clean up.

How many Orandas do you have?

Old 08-02-2007, 06:29 PM
ramtaajogi
2nd Gear
i have 2 orandas and 2 ranchu's. they are getting big fast.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:43 AM
saoralba
Neutral
What would be a good product to clean this with. I have tried several times whilst washing it and it still leaves a stain on the trim

Old 09-12-2007, 03:30 PM
ramtaajogi
2nd Gear
i was able to just wipe it clean

Old 09-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Wd-40 on a clean rag .... apply "wax" after

Old 09-12-2007, 05:00 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Read on another board that Zymöl makes something called Strik that will remove cosmolene. It is an "engine cleaner" but they say it's safe for painted surfaces. You might try bug & tar remover too.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
The dealer uses Kerosene to remove the Cosmoline.....

I feel Capt_bj was correct in saying that DW-40 would probably do the trick. I use it to get tar and other like substances off the paint.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Apparently the orange goo stuff and peanut butter work too.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:15 AM
saoralba
Neutral
Thanks for the advice. I'll see what works. I was able to get it off the paint but it had left a stain on the black wheel arch moulding, hopefully one of these tips works.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
lil secret

Originally Posted by Xray'dit_Mini
The dealer uses Kerosene to remove the Cosmoline.....

I feel Capt_bj was correct in saying that DW-40 would probably do the trick. I use it to get tar and other like substances off the paint.
lil secret - WD-40 is essentially kerosene in a spray can .....

Old 09-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Tharkun
6th Gear
I used Simple Green and worked well.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:18 PM
ExpatBiker
2nd Gear
if i were you i'd be MUCH more worried about the pink fish swimming in your radiator fluid. fish poop will eventually clog your coolant system.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:44 AM
brownsworth
Neutral
I had the same thing happen to me when i got my car about a month ago. It was coming from under the hood and leaking out onto the wheel arch at the top of the front wheels. I just wiped it off with a rag before I washed the car.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:24 PM
mattbren
2nd Gear
My MCS just sat on the dealer's lot for two weeks waiting for a part to come in and when I got it back yesterday, it had large streaks of cosmolene running down the plastic trim. The service manager told me that if left on, it would stain the trim permanently. She said they've been trying to get Mini USA to do something about it but they've told her it's only a regional issue in the Southeast and they don't intend on changing their use of the cosmolene.

Anyway, i've tried peanut butter (didn't work), bug and tar remover (didn't work), and now WD-40 (this took the remaining material off but there are still streaks evident after it dried.

Any other suggestions on how to remove the streaks? Does the cosmolene react with the plastic in a way that really is permanent?

Old 10-27-2007, 11:01 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mattbren
Any other suggestions on how to remove the streaks? Does the cosmolene react with the plastic in a way that really is permanent?
I think it does unless you really keep cleaning traces off until it's gone. I'd talk to your SA and have the affected pieces replaced. Seems to me thats the only known cure when the staining is bad.

I chased this stuff all summer and was able to keep it from ruining the wheel arches on my car, but at the moment I'm driving a poor MINI loaner that no one has cared for. I'm quite sure if they ever try to sell it they will replace the trim which has swollen in the places where the cosmolene has leaked. We, as owners, deserve no less.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:04 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mattbren
My MCS just sat on the dealer's lot for two weeks waiting for a part to come in and when I got it back yesterday, it had large streaks of cosmolene running down the plastic trim. The service manager told me that if left on, it would stain the trim permanently. She said they've been trying to get Mini USA to do something about it but they've told her it's only a regional issue in the Southeast and they don't intend on changing their use of the cosmolene.

Anyway, i've tried peanut butter (didn't work), bug and tar remover (didn't work), and now WD-40 (this took the remaining material off but there are still streaks evident after it dried.

I used both simple green and turtle liquid polish on it. Not together at the same time but one after the other. Mine came off.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Japanese cars come on ships too and you don't see cosmoline all over their cars to prevent corrosion. What's their secret?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:33 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Dripping "Cosmoline" has been a problem much discussed on this fourm. It is a corrosion preventative coating applied prior to shipping. The idea is for the stuff to be removed at the POI or at the dealership (the customer shouldn't have to do this). Obviously they don't do a great job of cleaning the cosmoline and so some of the stuff remains on the vehicle after delivery to the customer. So when the car gets hot enough (sitting out in the summer sun) the cosmoline becomes molten and flows out of its nooks and crannies (sometimes onto the plastic trim).

It is fairly easily removed from the painted sheet-metal but (if it dries) it is not easily removed from the textured plastic trim. The key is to make sure you remove it from the trim before it dries. If it dries then all bets are off...it can discolor the trim. Also if you use a harsh chemical to remove it from the trim you can end up doing further damage. Here is one link (there are others):

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post2443907

Old 09-08-2009, 04:28 PM
AT T 2D
1st Gear
Our dealership recommended Dawn dish washing soap which worked well.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:47 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AT T 2D
Our dealership recommended Dawn dish washing soap which worked well.
Using a solution of 50/50 Simple Green and water can remove the Cosmoline drip from the Wheel Arches. A discoloration is not that difficult to remove simply use a Good Plastic Protectant (Black Wow, etc.), make several passes and continue to apply until the stain is gone.

Using Dawn may get the Cosmoline off of where ever it is, but it will also leave your paint unprotected. Dawn removes all polishes and waxes from your paint, if you choose to use Dawn you must be sure and re-wax your car otherwise any other contaminents that come in contact with the paint will be much more difficult to remove. It is also recommended that you use a Clay Bar on your paint after using Dawn followed by waxes and polishes.