Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Replacement battery options for MC

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:26 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep in mind this thread was about battery replacements for the Cooper, *NOT* the MCS. The first gen MCS battery compartment leaves plenty of room for a variety of batteries. On the MC, it's a little more important to get the size correct.

For those who do not know, the MCS battery is in the boot (hatch). On the MC it's under the bonnet (hood).

Old 04-29-2010, 03:35 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by paulgraz
On the MC, it's a little more important to get the size correct...
... and it appears to me that the SLI47H5 is an EXACT size match to the stock battery, MC or MCS.

- Mark

Old 04-30-2010, 05:32 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by markjenn
I can also confirm that the Batteries Plus Rayovac battery (SLI47H5) is an no-mod, same as stock, bolt-in replacement for the OEM battery, at least on my 2004 MCS. Exact same height, same bottom lip to engage the stock hold down bracket, same pos/neg orientation, same vent hose location (they give you a plug for one side and an elbow for the other which is exactly like the stock battery). $90 where I live.

If you have a Batteries+ store near you this is a great solution.

BTW, I was replacing mine simply as a precaution based on calendar time (6.5 years) and on the off-chance my aging battery was the reason for some odd door lock problems I'm having (which the new battery didn't help). The original battery was working fine.

- Mark
Actually, this thread is for replacement batteries for the MC, not the MCS.
Although the stock battery fits both, some aftermarkets fit one but not the other.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:33 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cristo
Actually, this thread is for replacement batteries for the MC, not the MCS.
Although the stock battery fits both, some aftermarkets fit one but not the other.
Excuse me for telling MC owners that the Rayovac is exactly the same size as their stock battery. Utterly useless information, obviously.

- Mark

Old 05-01-2010, 05:20 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Mark,
Sorry, my post was a bit hasty. It is helpful to know that the Rayovac's dimensions are exactly the same as stock. I should read more carefully
before I respond. Thanks.
prs also found it to fit the MC.
Cristo

Old 05-05-2010, 11:00 AM
gaffer
3rd Gear
The battery died on the '05 JustaCooper yesterday. Luckily it was kind enough to wait until I got home from work. These cars do weird things with a bad battery; the headlights flashed on & off when I tried to crank it! Anyway, went to Batteries Plus and bought a Rayovac SLI47H5 for $89.99 plus tax. Perfect fit, highly recommended for a hassle free installation.

Last edited by gaffer; 05-05-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:28 PM
coop_03
Neutral
After following this thread all the way through, and needing a battery for my wifes' 2003 MC I went to Batteries Plus to get a Rayovac SLI47H5. They had 2 with a 5-2010 date and the top did not have the offset on the long sides in the top molding that lets the hold down fit. bummer. Then went to Auto Zone and got a Deralast H5-DLG (pricy) 5-2010 date stamp, that was identical to my OEM in size and top shape so the hold down fit right. I'm posting just to say apparently Batteries Plus is getting some with a different top. Thanks for the help. Reading this thread gave me options. mm

Old 06-03-2010, 06:19 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Thanks, post #2 updated again with the above info.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:10 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered an Advance Auto Part No. 47H5 battery. It should be in on Wednesday. I hope it really is an exact replacement.

It's $124.99, and there is a $20 off coupon in Advance's current flyer.

I'll let you know about the fit.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:35 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
The 47H5 Gold - from Advance Auto Parts is said to fit the MC.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:35 PM
RandyS
1st Gear
Battery died in wifes 06 MC at 9pm tonight. Went to the only thing open, wallyworld. Of course my local WM only carried Everstart and Maxx and they had no group 47 batteries. Needing to make a purchase immediately so the wife can drive to work in the morning I bought the closest fit battery they had in stock which was a 26R.

The height was right but it was about 1.75" shorter in length. Dropped it in the box and added a small 1.75" deep plastic fishing lure box I had laying around as filler on the side to keep the battery from floating around. The hold down fit with a little persuasion.

Not optimal size and no vent tube connection but got her back on the road for $47. Since it is only a 2 yr warrantee battery I assume it will last about 1 year so when I have time I will get a proper battery. Hope this helps someone who is in a pinch.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Tahoe_Ron
1st Gear
I'm not saying that this holds for every battery, but at least for some: the only difference between the 24 month battery and the 60 month battery with the same rating is the warranty itself. Otherwise, the same materials, same quality.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:31 PM
elinventor
Neutral
the optima 34d fit perfect, and is better quality than most of those that you listed here.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:41 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
For clarification, is that the D34/78 or the D34 yellow top, or the D34M blue top?
I couldn't find a 34D on the Optima site (in fact, no buxum models in their undies at all ).
This is for the R50 MC, not the MCS, correct?

Old 06-29-2010, 05:47 AM
elinventor
Neutral
Optima Yellow D34 Autozone, Napa, Need To Be Order.
I Have It On My R53 In The Back, I'm Not Sure Where Your Seated.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Thanks, but this thread is for MC (R50) battery replacement.
There's another thread for MCS (R53) battery replacement.
Some fit one model but not the other.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s-for-mcs.html

Old 08-24-2010, 09:39 AM
ulrichd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joelimome
So I after reading all these post (and after buying and returning two batteries that did not fit my Cooper 2002) here are some thoughts:

Note: this applies to My Cooper 2002 and most likely not to a Cooper S, and possibly not to later Cooper models.
My Cooper 2002 was one of the very early models delivered in California... so you mileage may vary.

- most of the after market batteries sold by chain stores that are supposed to fit the Cooper DO NOT FIT.
- there are afew models that do, but they are quite hard to find, and often almost as pricey as the Mini/BMW branded battery.

The standard for the battery "type" is a 47, but this standard does not seem to be precise when it comes with to critical issues for a Cooper :
- the height of the battery
- the shape of the top casing moldings
- the location of the battery venting tubing

Height:
Most of the 47 batteries are too low, usually they come with a 7" height, when the correct height is more like 7.5" or 7 9/16 ".
So when shoping get a measuring tape. If the battery is not 7.5" forget about it. You could consider adding a shim under it, but this is cumbersome and may not solve the problem anyway because of the other issues usally found with batteries of the wrong height. Because of this height issue, you cannot connect the terminals properly without a shim.

Top casing modling shape:
Most of the 47 batteries in addition to being too short aalso have the wrong top casing shape. So even if they fit the battery case OK, and even if you add a shim under it to get the right height, you most likely will NOT be able to get the battery hold-down to fit. Usually this is because the attery top is too wide. The edge of the casing that is opposite to the terminals is usually flush, when it needs to be beveled.
This picture from a GOOD battery shows how there is a ridge/bevel on top; this ridge is where the matching ridge/bele in the hold-down fits.
Attachment 45031

This is another picture from my onw original battery, where I highlighted the ridge/bevel for illustration:
Attachment 45070

So now, a picture of one of these bad batteries:
Attachment 45030
On the "right" picture, top left corner, you can clearly see that there is no ridge/bevel : this means the hold-down will NOT fit.

Vent location:
Most of the 47 type batteries vent tube is in the middle of the battery, between the two terminals, when the original vent is on the side close to the +/positive terminal. Furthermore the vent tube is usually too big and even if bent will not fit the rubber modling correctly.

Theses three issues combined can be found on MOST of the 47 batteries out there.
I tried Costco, Kragen/Oreilly, Napa, Intersate, Delco. (I am in the San Francisco Bay area, California). I found one shop in Redwood City that had a good battery (Cerrones European) and knew it... it was only $10 less than the $210 to $240 than the local mini dealers are asking for the original one.
To Costco credit, they listed their 47 Super start battery for Cooper S and not for regular Cooper. I got too tempted by the $60 price tag, but had to return it.
The Kragen one was identical but in the 90$ range. Napa had two which also were identical and no good either and a bit more pricey. So was an interstate at a Firestone shop, and a few others at small shops I stopped by (the evaluation was quick with the measuring tape in hand).
Note that the Kragen battery was listed for the Cooper... but I knew immediately it was no good since it was identical to Costco's battery. In their system the clerck showed though that there was a note saying that the hold-down may not fit and this may require adjustments .....

So the next step for me is to try this one at http://www.batteriesplus.com/p-36494...-sli47-li.aspx which looks to have the right ridge/bevel from the look of the picture.

I'll report if this fits or not... and if not, out of despair I may take the plunge and shell out the $210 for the BMW one

Happy batery shopping!
I just picked up the SLI 47-H5 from Batteries Plus, it fits and the vent tube is in the right place but the factory hold down strap won't work. The battery is too wide across the top. Really ticked off as there were several people on this thread that said it was a perfect replacement.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:51 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Post #2 updated to reflect this. It looks like earlier versions of this battery fit but the current ones don't.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:22 AM
surfjax
Neutral
2005 MC Battery Replaced

Hi all I have a 2005 MC that I just replaced the battery in. I just wanted to let everyone know that the NAPA Legend 7547 DID fit! The bracket went on with no problem and it took me less than 4 minutes to put in. I just put the new battery in on Oct. 13th and "Jimmy" runs great!

Hope this helps someone!

Jackie
Proud Owner of Purple Haze Jimmy the MINI 2005

Old 12-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Curbiecooper
2nd Gear
HI =) sooooo it is that time a year COLD and Batteries not wanting to start up =( lol sooooooo it seems that the Battery from Batteries plus is a popular one to buy as anyone bought it and and any problems??? it kinda scares me to buy one not from MINI dealer but at the same time I DO NOT want to spend that money either. So if anyone could let me know how things have went with that battery that would be GREAT =D THANKS everyone MOTOR ON

Old 12-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Mynewt
3rd Gear
Well, now that it's cold here in the northeast, my battery is failing. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far. It's such a helpful resource.

It doesn't look like there are any replacement batteries for my car within 40 miles of where I live. But I think maybe tomorrow I'll drive 42 miles to the closest Batteries Plus and pick up a Ray-O-Vac SLI47H5 if they have one in stock. I also found a 10% off coupon on the BP store-specific website. So that'll help pay for the gas.

My other option would be to drive about 45 miles to get Advance Auto to get their 47H5.

I'll report back.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Curbiecooper
2nd Gear
I called my Batteries plus here and they said they are doing a $10 off at the store and the battery also had a $10 off thing also =) i was excited since i had called the MINI dealer and it was so much

Old 12-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Mynewt
3rd Gear
I can report that an Autozone Duralst Gold H5 DLC (as listed in post #2) fit my '03 R50 100% perfectly. Including the tie down strap and the hole for the vent tube.

The biggest challenge in changing it was lifting the old battery out of the mounting box---there's no room for fingers between the box and the battery on the back side. I ended up hooking the lip of the battery case with a paint can opening tool--you know the ones that look like a can opener? I was able to hook it under the battery's lip and lift it by the tool's handle.

Anyway, it's nice to have such a strong battery!

Thanks again to everyone who made this thread so helpful.

Attached Thumbnails Replacement battery options for MC-11niohqmisl._sl500_aa300_.jpg  
Old 12-10-2010, 12:54 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Thanks!

Old 12-11-2010, 07:44 AM
DebuMini
1st Gear
MC 2006 -- How to replace the Battery

I went to dealer and he is asking $300 battery and installation that a rip off in my books.

Went to Costco and got "group 47 batteries" which according to manufacture should fit my MC 2006.

Now is it simple as pulling the battery and replacing the terminal or something special with MC?

Someone said about charging it lighter plug to my setting in place.

I have replace battery in Toyota cars and it was a breeze..

Any help will be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Replacement battery options for MC