Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Replacement battery options for MC

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:04 PM
joelimome
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Napa 7547 (sold in CA) was not a fit for my Cooper 2002

Originally Posted by prs
There are a couple of posts that state that the Napa 7547 is a perfect fit for the MC and there are a couple of posts that state that the holding bracket does not fit properly. I don't understand how the battery is a perfect fit for some and not others. I need to replace the battery on my 2004 MC so I need to know whether the 7547 fits or not. Thanks for any advice.
See my previous post for figuring out if this will fit yours or not...
Inspired by your post I stoppedd by Napa today.
Napa (in California) had two different 7547 model (Gold and premium or something like that) and both were identical, and had the wrong height, wrong top case molding and wrong vent location.
I suspect that chain stores like Napa are provisioning their batteries from different vendors over time, and therefore some may fit and some may not fit... It is possible also that some models more recent than my 2002 Cooper have a different battery hold-down.
/HTH

Last edited by joelimome; 12-01-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
Old 12-02-2009, 07:06 AM
prs
1st Gear
FYI, the battery for the 2004 sits in a molded plastic box that is just a bit larger than the battery itself. From the picture of your OEM battery in your first message, it appears that the battery in your 2002 MC does not sit in this box and has a different hold-down system than the one in my 2004. Maybe that is the problem, and why the Napa battery works for some and not for others. I will be getting the Napa battery in about a week and will post my results.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:04 PM
prs
1st Gear
Hi Joelimome --

Is your car a MC or a MCS? Does your battery sit in a black plastic box that is just a little larger than the battery itself? Here are the dimensions of the Napa Legend 7547 battery: [FONT=Arial]battery height: 7 ½"; battery length: 9 9/16"; battery width: 6 15/16. These dimensions are pretty close to those of the OEM battery. The vent location looks to be pretty close to the one shown on the picture of the Napa battery (http://catalog2.genpt.com/catviewer1...547_0258501469)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=5][FONT=Arial][SIZE=5][FONT=Arial][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Battery Weight: 37.5 lbs. Battery Width: 6 15/16

Old 12-02-2009, 11:32 PM
joelimome
Neutral
A cooper not a cooper S, and your Napa is not my Napa :|

Originally Posted by prs
Hi Joelimome --

Is your car a MC or a MCS? Does your battery sit in a black plastic box that is just a little larger than the battery itself? Here are the dimensions of the Napa Legend 7547 battery: battery height: 7 ½"; battery length: 9 9/16"; battery width: 6 15/16. These dimensions are pretty close to those of the OEM battery. The vent location looks to be pretty close to the one shown on the picture of the Napa battery (http://catalog2.genpt.com/catviewer15/(zmljtu45byel1dizjvbbhz55)/Catalog/Detail.aspx?ShowPics=1&R=NBP7547_0258501469) Battery Weight: 37.5 lbs. Battery Width: 6 15/16
Mine is definitely a Cooper, not a Cooper S. It has the enhanced stiffened Plus suspension that came as stock with the S though, that is the only option I took extra.

From the picture, this Napa Legend 7547 you link above is not looking the same as the Napa Legend 7547 I saw at a Napa store in Redwood City, CA. The one (that I did not bought) was definitely only 7" tall.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:00 PM
joelimome
Neutral
My 2002 Cooper found its battery thrill...

Originally Posted by joelimome
So the next step for me is to try this one at http://www.batteriesplus.com/p-36494...-sli47-li.aspx which looks to have the right ridge/bevel from the look of the picture.
Yeepee!
The batteried plus was an (almost) perfect fit.
They had in fact two models and their database seemed quite accurate in terms of what supposed to fit or not.

http://www.batteriesplus.com/p-36533...-sli90-li.aspx was reported as a good fit with a shim nuder it. I measured it and it was only 7" high, though had all the right attributes (vent tube and top case molding).

http://www.batteriesplus.com/p-36494...-sli47-li.aspx was reported as a snug, tighter fit, with no shim needed. It measured the right height (probably one or two millimeters too high) and I went with it. The fit was indeed snug, but almost perfect.

Kudos to them for having all the right info in their database.

$99 including core plus taxes

Here it is installed (I highlighted the vent position and the "bevel/ridge" on the hold down and the battery)
Replacement battery options for MC-newrayovac.jpg
My quest ends there...
This may help someone else with a 2002 Cooper!

Old 12-03-2009, 10:41 PM
prs
1st Gear
Thanks for the update and the pic. Very interesting about the Napa battery. I will give my local Napa store a call and ask about the dimensions of their 7547 battery. If the battery is like the one you saw and not like the one shown on their website, I will probably do like you and get the one from Battery Plus. I see from their website that the closest store to me is in SF. Thanks again for the helpful advice.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:38 PM
jetblackmini
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Optima 34R

Originally Posted by EVENSTEVEN
I read where you said that the optima 34r is a direct replacement for the MCS. My battery is in the trunk with the positive terminal on the right side and the negative or ground on the left. Doesn't the Optima 34R have the positive on the left side? Pleaase advise
I just replaced the OEM battery in my 05 MCS with an Optima 34R. The battery fits great in the compartment and the polls on the battery are on the correct side. (Negative on the left and positive on the right when facing the boot). The original bracket is high for the install but instead of raising up the battery I used a small wooden block under the bracket to hold down the battery.

Here is a link of my process: http://nickjordan.smugmug.com/Cars/M...32576821_DswQf

Note on some of the photos: The gap was about 3/4 inch between the height of the battery and the bracket. I did have to change the side of the the zip tie hold down for the positive cable. Which required cutting the old zip tie and replacing. Also the holder screws on (don't pry it off, might break it).

The following users liked this post:
EMLemasters (08-30-2021)
Old 12-05-2009, 07:55 PM
IowaWRX
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry, this is an R50-only (just-a-cooper) thread.

Originally Posted by jetblackmini
I just replaced the OEM battery in my 05 MCS
This thread is R50s only, sorry! :-)

Old 12-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jetblackmini
I just replaced the OEM battery in my 05 MCS with an Optima 34R...
Appreciate the info...but if you look at the OP's first post, this is an MC thread (not MCS) and the required batteries are different between the two.

Don't fret, with such an informative and friendly first post everyone will cut you ample slack. Good to have you as a NAM contributor!

Edit: I see the Iowa guys are all over this battery thread...

Old 12-05-2009, 08:08 PM
jetblackmini
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oops...

Totally missed that. My apologies.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:29 AM
MatchboxMINI
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MCS Thread?

So where is the MCS thread for replacement batteries? I can't seem to find any. Mine is going on 7 years old and figure the MCS crowd might need batteries soon too.

Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
EMLemasters (08-30-2021)
Old 12-08-2009, 05:50 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by MatchboxMINI
So where is the MCS thread for replacement batteries? I can't seem to find any. Mine is going on 7 years old and figure the MCS crowd might need batteries soon too.

Thanks.
Here it is

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s-for-mcs.html

Old 12-08-2009, 05:51 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MatchboxMINI

Thanks.
There is a thread located in the very same forum -- I think it's even bumped to the first page. Here's a direct link:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s-for-mcs.html

Edit: I see cristo beat me to the switch...

Old 12-11-2009, 08:15 AM
prs
1st Gear
The latest Napa model # 7547 DOES NOT fit the MC. The older version of this battery, and the one shown on Napa's website, was made by Exide. That battery was pretty close to the OEM and works with our cars. The newest version of the 7547 is made by Johnson Controls. It is shorter, the vent hole is in the wrong place, it does not have handles for ease of installation, and the hold-down strap does not fit over this battery. Definitely cross this battery off of your list of possible replacement batteries. I am now going to try the Rayovac.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:15 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Thanks, prs, and all others who have chimed in lately. I've updated the
list on post#2 of the fits and misfits again.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:47 PM
prs
1st Gear
Here is the latest battery information. The Rayovac Battery model # SLI47H5 that is available from Batteries Plus is a perfect fit for the 2004 MC. The vent hole is in the proper place, and the hold-down clamp fits without any problems. The battery is made by East Penn Manufacturing. They also make Deka batteries. The battery has a built in handle, which makes installation of the battery a breeze. The Rayovac battery appears to be more powerful than the OEM batery 600 CCA versus 480 CCA for the OEM. The battery is reasonably priced at $85.00 plus tax. Right now, Batteries Plus has a mail-in $10 rebate program on this battery that runs until 1/31/10.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:12 PM
retroom
4th Gear
Originally Posted by joelimome
So I after reading all these post (and after buying and returning two batteries that did not fit my Cooper 2002) here are some thoughts:

Note: this applies to My Cooper 2002 and most likely not to a Cooper S, and possibly not to later Cooper models.
My Cooper 2002 was one of the very early models delivered in California... so you mileage may vary.

- most of the after market batteries sold by chain stores that are supposed to fit the Cooper DO NOT FIT.
- there are afew models that do, but they are quite hard to find, and often almost as pricey as the Mini/BMW branded battery.

The standard for the battery "type" is a 47, but this standard does not seem to be precise when it comes with to critical issues for a Cooper :
- the height of the battery
- the shape of the top casing moldings
- the location of the battery venting tubing

Height:
Most of the 47 batteries are too low, usually they come with a 7" height, when the correct height is more like 7.5" or 7 9/16 ".
So when shoping get a measuring tape. If the battery is not 7.5" forget about it. You could consider adding a shim under it, but this is cumbersome and may not solve the problem anyway because of the other issues usally found with batteries of the wrong height. Because of this height issue, you cannot connect the terminals properly without a shim.

Top casing modling shape:
Most of the 47 batteries in addition to being too short aalso have the wrong top casing shape. So even if they fit the battery case OK, and even if you add a shim under it to get the right height, you most likely will NOT be able to get the battery hold-down to fit. Usually this is because the attery top is too wide. The edge of the casing that is opposite to the terminals is usually flush, when it needs to be beveled.
This picture from a GOOD battery shows how there is a ridge/bevel on top; this ridge is where the matching ridge/bele in the hold-down fits.
Attachment 45031

This is another picture from my onw original battery, where I highlighted the ridge/bevel for illustration:
Attachment 45070

So now, a picture of one of these bad batteries:
Attachment 45030
On the "right" picture, top left corner, you can clearly see that there is no ridge/bevel : this means the hold-down will NOT fit.

Vent location:
Most of the 47 type batteries vent tube is in the middle of the battery, between the two terminals, when the original vent is on the side close to the +/positive terminal. Furthermore the vent tube is usually too big and even if bent will not fit the rubber modling correctly.

Theses three issues combined can be found on MOST of the 47 batteries out there.
I tried Costco, Kragen/Oreilly, Napa, Intersate, Delco. (I am in the San Francisco Bay area, California). I found one shop in Redwood City that had a good battery (Cerrones European) and knew it... it was only $10 less than the $210 to $240 than the local mini dealers are asking for the original one.
To Costco credit, they listed their 47 Super start battery for Cooper S and not for regular Cooper. I got too tempted by the $60 price tag, but had to return it.
The Kragen one was identical but in the 90$ range. Napa had two which also were identical and no good either and a bit more pricey. So was an interstate at a Firestone shop, and a few others at small shops I stopped by (the evaluation was quick with the measuring tape in hand).
Note that the Kragen battery was listed for the Cooper... but I knew immediately it was no good since it was identical to Costco's battery. In their system the clerck showed though that there was a note saying that the hold-down may not fit and this may require adjustments .....

So the next step for me is to try this one at http://www.batteriesplus.com/p-36494...-sli47-li.aspx which looks to have the right ridge/bevel from the look of the picture.

I'll report if this fits or not... and if not, out of despair I may take the plunge and shell out the $210 for the BMW one

Happy batery shopping!
I bought the Interstate 47H this week fits into the box fine but had to raise the battery 3/8" and the OEM hold down brace doesn't fit, however, the battery works great. I'm not worried about not having a hold down, the cover is on. I'll fabricate a brace sometime.

retroom

Old 12-25-2009, 08:23 PM
prs
1st Gear
retroom --

Did you read my post which is right above your post? The battery sold by Batteriesplus described in my post is a perfect fit for my 2004 MC. My OEM Mini battery looks exactly like your OEM battery, so the BP battery should also be a perfect fit for your car. The BP battery was $85 + tax minus a $10 rebate. Why settle for a non-OEM battery that is not a perfect fit when one is available?

Old 12-29-2009, 11:39 AM
MiniGB06
2nd Gear
Has anyone replaced the R50 battery with a lightweight battery like the Braille?

Old 02-01-2010, 03:03 PM
blacter
2nd Gear
Just replaced the BMW battery in my '02 Cooper with the Rayovac SLI47H5 from Batteries Plus recommended by PRS a couple of posts back. Fits perfectly. Only challenge was getting the old battery out, since there's nothing to grip onto. Ended up pulling it up with vise grips on the posts.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:57 PM
prs
1st Gear
I had the same problem getting my old battery out. Tyring to grasp and lift a 30 pound battery with just your fingertips is a real pain. What's nice about the Rayovac battery is that it has a built-in handle which makes installation a breeze.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:05 PM
retroom
4th Gear
Originally Posted by prs
retroom --

Did you read my post which is right above your post? The battery sold by Batteriesplus described in my post is a perfect fit for my 2004 MC. My OEM Mini battery looks exactly like your OEM battery, so the BP battery should also be a perfect fit for your car. The BP battery was $85 + tax minus a $10 rebate. Why settle for a non-OEM battery that is not a perfect fit when one is available?
It's great that there's a battery that fits perfect, but I needed a battery right away. I'm not worried about it.

retroom

Old 03-20-2010, 04:09 AM
vodka
3rd Gear
Is it possible to put smaller battery or the MCS battery (I assume it smaller than MC one?)? I know it will involve modifying the battery case/box... anyone did that before?

Thanks

Old 03-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tons have....

Search on Braille and Dekka (I think that's with two "k"s, maybe one) and on straight through exhaust systems. Many have removed the box, gone to a smaller battery, and rolled thier own exhaust.

I ran the Braille for a while (Before I learned that it was just a rebadged Dekka at a higher price!)

Matt

Old 04-29-2010, 11:51 AM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I can also confirm that the Batteries Plus Rayovac battery (SLI47H5) is an no-mod, same as stock, bolt-in replacement for the OEM battery, at least on my 2004 MCS. Exact same height, same bottom lip to engage the stock hold down bracket, same pos/neg orientation, same vent hose location (they give you a plug for one side and an elbow for the other which is exactly like the stock battery). $90 where I live.

If you have a Batteries+ store near you this is a great solution.

BTW, I was replacing mine simply as a precaution based on calendar time (6.5 years) and on the off-chance my aging battery was the reason for some odd door lock problems I'm having (which the new battery didn't help). The original battery was working fine.

- Mark

Quick Reply: Replacement battery options for MC