Shakespeare Trivia Run in SD Time & Place posted

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 09:15 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
---------------EDITED MARCH 5TH, 2004-----------------------

Okay folks! We have a meeting place and time:

Gordon Biersch Parking lot (Brew Pub in Mission Valley Center shopping area)
5010 Mission Ctr. Rd.
San Diego, CA 92108

Meet at 11am, Sunday March 28th.

We'll also be stopping at the The last of the details:

we'll make a stop at the intersection of 67 and Archie Moore to pick up any folks who want to join us mid-route. We're shooting to be there around 12:30... If you've got FRS radios with sub-channels, we'll be on channel 7 subchannel 21.

See you there!

---------------END OF EDIT-----------------------

I just wanted to give a heads-up for the next planned Shakespeare run. We're going to get together informally for a run and Trivia Night at Shakespeare's Pub on Sunday, March 28th.

Trivia Night is always on the last Sunday of the month. It starts at 7pm and usually runs until about 9:00pm. There are first and second prizes for the group with the most correct answers. The questions are often taken from Trivial Pursuit, with some of them having a British theme. Teams consist of no more than 6 players, so if we have a lot of people, we'll have to split up for teams.

The plan is to have a fun drive in East County, then get to the pub by 5ish so we can find parking. (Parking, and seating, is scarce after 5:30). Then we'll have dinner and hang out at the pub until the Trivia starts. For those non-San Diegans, this becomes a late night on a Sunday, so if you're planning to stay for Trivia, be prepared!

We haven't solidified plans yet. As soon as we have a route, we'll post it here and elsewhere. We'll also probably ask for an RSVP just to get an idea of the number of folks who are interested.

Old 01-31-2004, 09:31 PM
Vanwall
4th Gear
I'm game! PM me, Jenn, and we'll think up a nice route.

BCNU,
Rob in Dago

Old 01-31-2004, 09:53 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
>> I'm game! PM me, Jenn, and we'll think up a nice route.
>>
>> BCNU,
>> Rob in Dago

I was hoping you'd say that! I just sent you an email about it a little while ago.

Jenn

Old 02-01-2004, 06:38 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
anyone who's interested in going can sign up here.

Old 02-05-2004, 12:24 AM
speedracer1600
2nd Gear
I will try to make it i have a race in san felip that saturday not sure what time ill be getting home on sunday but ill try ....... Ive Been practicing :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: my driving that is

Old 02-05-2004, 02:55 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
Hey speedracer! Glad you'll try to be there! We had fun on the last one with you!

Jenn

Old 02-05-2004, 01:23 PM
speedracer1600
2nd Gear
YEAH IT WAS COOL WERE ARE WE GOING THIS TIME I WANTED TO PLAN A RUN A WHILLE BACK AGO BUT I HAVE BEEN SWAMPED ....... THE ONLY THING IS I HOPE TO GET MY WINDOW REPAIRED BY THEN AND THE DING IN MY FENDER WHILE IM OFF TOPIC ANYBODY INSTALL A MSD DIS 2 ON THERE MINI YET ?

Old 02-05-2004, 03:50 PM
speedracer1600
2nd Gear
anybody intrested in going to I8 the long way tommorow night? through otay lakes to the 94 up through campo ?

Old 02-16-2004, 01:40 AM
kalani79
Neutral
what roads are being considered through east county?

my girlfriend and i might be interested in going. we tried to go to quiz night once but couldn't get a table. this sounds like fun.

my girlfriend is the one with the mini, and i wanted to follow in my wrx, but she wants me to ride with her. oh well.

patrick

Old 02-17-2004, 06:53 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
what roads are being considered through east county?
my girlfriend and i might be interested in going. we tried to go to quiz night once but couldn't get a table. this sounds like fun.
my girlfriend is the one with the mini, and i wanted to follow in my wrx, but she wants me to ride with her. oh well.
patrick
Hey Patrick,

Welcome! I'm not sure of the route yet; Vanwall, who picked the last route, is doing it again this time. He assures me he'll have it done this week. This is from the previous Shakespeare Run in September:

"The Game's Afoot!"

We happy few will hit the road at 12:00 Noon, and sharpish!
"Better three hours too soon than a minute late."

We'll be traveling out Interstate 8 to the HWY 79 north, and then to the Sunrise Highway east exit to Mt Laguna. "Something wicked this way comes!"

Remember, the peelers are out in force lately, so Casey Jones, watch your speed! "The first thing we do let's kill all the lawyers!"

From there, we will head back south toward Old Highway 80, the original road from the east to San Diego, where we will go left (east). "It is the East, and Juliet is the sun!"

We will follow it east as it paralells Interstate 8 until we get to Manzanita, where we will turn RT onto HWY 94. This way we will have a Southern Route, something we haven't done lately. "I am but mad north-northwest: when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw"

We stay on 94 until we get into town, and then we'll take Interstate 5 north into town, and thence to: (certainly not "Get thee to a Nunnery!&quot

Shakespeare Pub & Grille
3701 India St.
San Diego, CA 92103
619-299-0230

Final details of the Shakespeare's Pub Trivia Time will be handed out at the Starting point. ??? "Very like a Whale."???

As for those who miss the run:

"And gentlemen in England, now abed,
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here;
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day!"
Hope to see you and your girlfriend (does she have a name?) there! If you like ,you can bring the WRX. I, for one, would like to see how well it does in comparison to the MINIs. :smile:

Old 02-17-2004, 07:30 PM
Bud_SD
2nd Gear
Where's the starting point???

The "WORKS S" might need a little exercise. If not for the run, at least a little friendly attention. (She's getting tired of the Black & White variety!)

Old 02-17-2004, 09:32 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
>>Where's the starting point???
>>

Bud, if you read the post carefully you'd have figured out that the directions are quoted from the PREVIOUS Shakespeare Run. The starting point has been deleted intentionally so people don't go to the wrong place.

The specifics for the upcoming event haven't been posted yet. When they're finalized, they'll be posted here.

Old 02-17-2004, 10:16 PM
speedracer1600
2nd Gear
What would be the meeting time noon ? just want to ask if i dont make the meet i could try to catch you guys

Old 02-18-2004, 09:06 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
speedracer, most likely the meeting time will be noon; that leaves us plenty of time to enjoy the twisties before getting to the pub. Vanwall is working out the route, and I really have no idea where he's going to take us this time so check back a few days before the run to verify when and where we're meeting.

Old 02-18-2004, 03:27 PM
kalani79
Neutral
the girlfriend's name is kari. :smile: i really want to do this and would love to get out there with my wrx. however, kari's never done any high speed twisty runs and probably wouldn't want to go all that fast... she wants me to ride with her. do you guys take this run fast? like... what is your range of speeds through highway 79? i'm semi-familiar with that road from a couple trips to julian.

if she doesn't feel like a full day of driving... we'd probably just like to meet up with you guys somewhere on the 94 for quiz night (if you take the 94 again). it comes within a couple miles of my house. i've been meaning to pick up a pair of radios... i've got a $25 gift certificate to best buy and could pick up some 2 mile range ones for about 30. is a 2 mile range adequate for things like this and just casual use?

which of these radios would you reccomend? (no more than $40 or $50)

Old 02-18-2004, 08:59 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
Hey Kalani and Kari,

It looks like you'll have some time to practice up on taking those twisties faster. I've just learned that the pub has moved Quiz Night to THIS sunday so as not to interfere with the Academy Awards. Since all three of the planners of this run have other commitments this sunday, we'll have to wait until next month's quiz night, March 28th.

Sometimes we go fast, other times slower. We do try to accomodate everyone by letting the faster drivers go in front. One of the great things about having the radios is that we can keep in touch with those at the end of the line, so if they get stuck behind a red light or something we can all pull over and wait. Also good for checking to make sure they're okay with the general speed...

We usually have drivers of differing abilities on all the drives. You can learn a lot about how the car handles and what it can do by watching the person in front of you.

I looked at the link for radios, and these look good. The Motorola's are pretty popular. Just make sure they support sub-channels before you buy them. We've had folks on runs who's radios don't support sub-channels, and they can hear us, but we can't hear them.

Old 02-18-2004, 09:03 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Old 02-18-2004, 09:07 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
Hey Clo,

I guess they got wise and did something about it. Or maybe you tipped them off, eh?

Jenn

Old 02-18-2004, 09:19 PM
kalani79
Neutral
what are your thoughts on a 2 mile range vs. a 5 mile range?

also... how do you tell if it has subchannels, i haven't seen that in any of the descriptions of the radios. i've only seen them advertised with 7 frs, 8 gmrs, 7 frs/gmrs.

Old 02-18-2004, 09:58 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
2 mile range is okay, but 5 mile range is much better!

If you look at a large picture of the radios on Motorola's site, you can see that they have subchannels; look at the large number and next to it on the right is a smaller number - that's the subchannel. It also mentions 'subcodes' in the description, which could be the same thing.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:52 AM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Awwww this is going to conflit with the STi and MCS race at willow springs.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:01 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
>>Awwww this is going to conflit with the STi and MCS race at willow springs.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:31 AM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
>>> Go with whichever one is cloesest to home; that way, if it goes late (and >>>Shakespeare will) you don't have as far to drive back.

LOL!!! homes 100miles away either way... hehe no "home" in SD anymore...

Old 03-04-2004, 11:04 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
Okay folks! We have a meeting place and time:

Gordon Biersch Parking lot (Brew Pub in Mission Valley Center shopping area)
5010 Mission Ctr. Rd.
San Diego, CA 92108

Meet at 11am, Sunday March 28th.

See you there!

Old 03-16-2004, 07:39 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
This is the weekend of the Willow Springs race.

Earl

Quick Reply: Shakespeare Trivia Run in SD Time & Place posted