South East - Carolinas North and South Carolina

Worst Drive In South Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 05:53 PM
Wave
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worst Drive In South Carolina

I just experienced the most unfullfilling Mini drive of my life. I lead, thank go d I dint follow my wife back from Myrtle Beach on Saturday Up 501 at 15 mph, I then took a too early exit to 95 and followed 501 north to 95 at the most mind numbing speeds and most uninteresting scenery EVER! I should have trailered the WAVE. I am responsible I know but if I follow one more RV with Ohio or Michigan Plates, Im putting a bulldozer blade on the front and am going to road rage. I will say the 95 to 20 to 26 to 385 was about 90 mph pace and the Wave held firm in very tight traffic. Still little pleasure. The Anti-Motoring. Whats your worst motoring experience?

Old 07-26-2004, 03:06 AM
LJinNC
3rd Gear
My worst motoring experience happened just yesterday, driving home in our rented RV to Ann Arbor from Myrtle Beach (is that “motoring”?). I told my wife before we left home that going to the beach in the middle of July was a bad idea--especially to a beach in South Carolina--but she was determined. And we waited too late to get on the road Sunday, as usual.

Once we got out of that traffic jam (there was some guy losing his cool in a LS/B MINI behind me on 501), the drive across the mountains to Tennessee was a pain; that RV doesn’t handle the “twisties” on I-40 too well. By the time we got to Lexington the four kids (why did we agree to bring the neighbors’ two along?) were bored and driving me out of my mind, despite having DVDs and game consoles to entertain them.

It was early in the a.m. before we got the RV unloaded and it’s back to the cubicle this morning. I wish I lived in the Upstate and didn’t have to drive so far to the beach.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
I have to agree. That section of 501 from Conway to Myrtle on a Saturday absolutely is one of the worst drives known to man!

Old 07-26-2004, 06:56 PM
lawbench191
2nd Gear
Hwy 501 SC is horrible

Originally Posted by Moorlockx
I have to agree. That section of 501 from Conway to Myrtle on a Saturday absolutely is one of the worst drives known to man!
Living here at the Myrtle Beach Ive seen that road go from medium traffic to unbearable traffic. Especially on Saturdays when people are checking out and heading out torwards Conway.For the future it is better to take highway 22 just out of Aynor avoid Conway then hit Highway 31 to the Bob Grissom parkway and enter Myrtle beach and leave the same way.

Old 07-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Trainman
5th Gear
LJinNC: What do you mean, Ann Arbor (As in Michigan?)? Twisties in Tennessee? I thought you lived in Flat Rock, NC... Did you move on us?

BTW, the news helicopter from Florence showed an RV from Rent a Wreck closely followed by a PS/B MC on hwy 501

My worst experience was about 10 years ago, driving back from Myrtle Beach the weekend after 4th of July, in traffic, and the A/C quit.

Last edited by Trainman; 07-27-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:36 PM
lawbench191
2nd Gear
Hwy544 to Surfside Beach

At least Highway544 from Surfside Beach to Conway has now been four laned and serves as another alternative to Hwy 501.

Old 07-28-2004, 12:18 AM
LJinNC
3rd Gear
Trainman -- That was the “virtual” LJinNC speaking, or maybe the “metaphorical” LJinNC posting from Ann Arbor. The real one is still in the mountains and still has no kids and no RV. But I used to live not far from Ann Arbor, so know the route over the mountains and up through Ohio well. And I get bored by mid-Kentucky, so assume my virtual/metaphorical kids would, too.

Old 08-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Trainman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LJinNC
Trainman -- That was the “virtual” LJinNC speaking, or maybe the “metaphorical” LJinNC posting from Ann Arbor. The real one is still in the mountains and still has no kids and no RV. But I used to live not far from Ann Arbor, so know the route over the mountains and up through Ohio well. And I get bored by mid-Kentucky, so assume my virtual/metaphorical kids would, too.
Now I'm really confused!!!

Lawbench: You mean they finally finished 544?! I was down there in the spring, and maybe half of it was completed.. Looking forward to smooth sailing on it when I have my September "long weekend" at Litchfield..

Old 08-02-2004, 03:09 PM
LJinNC
3rd Gear
You're supposed to be confused!

Old 08-02-2004, 07:16 PM
lawbench191
2nd Gear
Highway 544

Yes Trainman we locals here wondered if it was ever going to happen.But Hwy544 is now finally four laned between Conway and Surfside Beach.Yes it should be smooth crusing for you now. Even better is that soon highway 31(Carolinas Bay Parkway) is now almost complete between Hwy544 and all the way to North Myrtle Beach. The road intersects just below the Socastee bridge.Hey sorry you could not make the Morganton rally due to your wifes operation. I was hoping to meet some of you upstate Mini guys. I also share with you being a Train buff as well as being a Mini Maniac.Im building an HO layout at my house and model ACL, SAL , C&WC ,and Southern.We also have a great train club im a member of in Myrtle Beach. Next time you head this way let me know and Ill give you directions to come visit our layout and also talk Mini stuff.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:19 AM
Trainman
5th Gear
OH YEAH!! Trainmama and I go to the Litchfield Inn about twice a year (Once in the spring and once in the fall) for a long weekend. It would be great to be able to have a dual MINI/Trains conversation!! Although we drive the truck down as my kites won't fit in the MINI...

Old 08-05-2004, 09:02 AM
lawbench191
2nd Gear
Litchfield Trip

Next time you come down to the beach send me a private message and Ill give you my phone number and were our train club is open so yall can come see it in Myrtle Beach. You can see a couple of my layout pics which Im building posted on the Mini owners site.Litchfield is a nice beach. Im going to Atalaya this weekend for a Big Parrothead party my third fun thing to do. Best wishes Derek

Old 08-05-2004, 09:24 AM
427Cobra
2nd Gear
Since I pay taxes in Horry County I'm going to say I'm a local too.

Yes, please everyone Stay On 501! If I had to use 501 In & Out of Myrtle I wouldn't Own Propery there! I'm at Cherry Grove (North Myrtle Beach) and use Hwy 9 and take 38 to I-95. Going South I am soooo glad they built H-31. 17 can get totally stopped up.

I left on Sunday and didn't have any problems (but I wasn't on 501). I did notice a Freaking Heard of Travel Trailers heading towards the beach. If you've had a Black Bug blow by with smoke coming out, it could have been me. Gotta love that Tdi... At 80 it still gets 48 - 49 mpg. I can go down and back on one tank of fuel.

Mike
Greenwood/NMB, SC