South East - Carolinas North and South Carolina

Western NC/Lake James Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 08:51 PM
melindalou
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Western NC/Lake James Drive

On Saturday, July 31, plan on joining some of the Western NC MINI owners on a 1.5-2 hour drive up through the beautiful NC foothills and mountains. We will meet in Morganton,NC at 1pm, and will tour through the area and drive up around Lake James, with a halfway stop at Lake James State Park. We'll then head around the last half of the loop, ending up at Judge's Restaurant in Morganton between 4 and 4:30pm. Judge's is a great restaurant whose specialty is BBQ, but they have a full menu (and great ice tea!) They have a huge deck right on the banks of the Catawba River, which should be great for socializing and meeting your fellow MINIacs! If anyone is interested, or needs more details, please email me at melindalou@charter.net. I will post an exact meet up point when the location is confirmed. I hope to see you there!
Melinda:smile:

Old 07-08-2004, 03:54 AM
Smokey
6th Gear
Ahh on the banks of the Mighty Catawba

You already know I'll be there! Come on m2c2 lets motor

Old 07-08-2004, 05:14 AM
1MiniGrl
Banned
That isn't too far for me! I'll be there! I'll just need directions on where to go and meet in Morgantown. I've been itching for some nice roads!

Michelle

Old 07-08-2004, 01:19 PM
melindalou
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 1MiniGrl
That isn't too far for me! I'll be there! I'll just need directions on where to go and meet in Morgantown. I've been itching for some nice roads!

Michelle
Allright! I'll put you down! I'm going to have more specific meet up points in a couple of days. I think we are going to meet somewhere around exit 103 in Morganton, but I'll keep everyone posted!
MLL

Old 07-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
Sounds like a great drive you got planned there. Unfortunately, timing is everything, and I'll be up in Pa. that weekend. Wish I could join you guys. Should be a fun time!

Old 07-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Audioman
4th Gear
I'm game. Schedule permitting... shouldn't be a prob though.
Michelle, We could meet up on the way and motor out from the Triangle, if you'd like.

Keith

Old 07-08-2004, 04:03 PM
mininc
5th Gear
Melindalou

Thanks for setting this outting up. Count me in.

If any Charlotte MINIs want to drive up together, let me know.

Thanks
George

Old 07-08-2004, 07:43 PM
Trainman
5th Gear
That's the day that Trainmama get's out of the hospital from surgery, :smile: so, unfortunately, I won't be able to make it.. Then comes a 3 week recovery period.. Have fun and take plenty of pictures!! I'll be there in spirit..

Old 07-09-2004, 06:34 AM
1MiniGrl
Banned
Keith,

Sounds like a plan! I'm game for driving up together...any other Triangle MINIs going too and want to motor up with Keith and I? Just drop one or both of us a line, and we'll figure out a place where to meet!

Bob,

Sorry you can't make it...have fun up in Philly though!

Trainman,

Hope everything goes well with her surgery...someone will get pictures I'm sure! =)

Michelle

Old 07-22-2004, 08:06 AM
1MiniGrl
Banned
Lake Drive

Is this still on?? Haven't heard or seen any posts about this. I'm just making sure since it's next Saturday and I'm so itching for some twisties! I'm looking foward to it! Thanks so much for getting this together Melindalou! You rock!

Michelle

Old 07-22-2004, 08:32 AM
melindalou
1st Gear
Still On!

Originally Posted by 1MiniGrl
Is this still on?? Haven't heard or seen any posts about this. I'm just making sure since it's next Saturday and I'm so itching for some twisties! I'm looking foward to it! Thanks so much for getting this together Melindalou! You rock!

Michelle
Hey!
Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. Everything is still on. Eric and I are going to go back over the route on Saturday, to make sure the mileage and everything is correct. We are also going to pick a different meetup spot since we are now at 10 MINIs, and our original place might be a little small.
Also, I bought the Microsoft Streets and Trips, and have plotted out some maps to hand out, but I'm going to have to get Smokey4 to help me post them here. (Techno******* here).
Everybody still plan to meet at 1:30pm July 31st in Morganton! I'm really looking forward to it!
Melinda
oops! We are going to MEET at 1pm, with a planned DEPARTURE time of 1:30pm!!! Sorry if I messed anyone up!

Last edited by melindalou; 07-25-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:45 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
After reading this several times can you please let me know the particulars so I can get up there? I would like to meet some more Mini owners:smile:

I would love to drive my car thru some nice twisties...:smile:

Old 07-22-2004, 01:27 PM
melindalou
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Aquasar
After reading this several times can you please let me know the particulars so I can get up there? I would like to meet some more Mini owners:smile:

If you are coming from Sumpter (or Columbia), I mapquested it, and I think the best way would be to come I-77N to I-85S in Charlotte, to 321N in Gastonia. Then Hickory is about 30min north of Gastonia on 321, and that's where I am! I can meet up with you in Hickory if you want, and you can follow us to Morganton (about another 30min). If you will email me, I will give you my cell phone# so there is no way you can get lost, and if you do, somebody will come get you! We love even the directionally challenged!!
Oh, I forgot to mention-if you guys have your 2 way radios, be sure to bring them!
Melinda

Old 07-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Sounds good I am awaiting a email from George on whether we can meet up. But I will let you know one way or the other.:smile:

Old 07-22-2004, 01:43 PM
Smokey
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Aquasar

Like the ride with the AeroKit !!!!

Melinda, send me the route file and I'll pull out some pics to post!

Old 07-22-2004, 07:51 PM
lawbench191
2nd Gear
mountain run

I would also like to go from Myrtle Beach. Starting my vacation that weekend and would love for this old MGB driver to take his new MC through the Mountains.If someone from your NC group would email me details and the meeting point and any other pertinent information I will try to make it.Email me at Lawbench191@aol.com thanks

Old 07-24-2004, 05:00 AM
cnhminics
Coordinator :: MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas
Originally Posted by lawbench191
I would also like to go from Myrtle Beach. Starting my vacation that weekend and would love for this old MGB driver to take his new MC through the Mountains.If someone from your NC group would email me details and the meeting point and any other pertinent information I will try to make it.Email me at Lawbench191@aol.com thanks
Gregory,

If you subscribe to this thread, you'll be notified via email of any new posts. This way, you can keep track of updates to the meeting location and directions to get there. Also, it would be a good idea to check this thread for any last minute changes (if any) shortly before leaving for the drive.

Old 07-25-2004, 05:48 PM
Wave
1st Gear
Meeting Place Address

Can we get an address for the meeting place. I can Mapquest it from my location. I have a dinner date that night I am still lobbying for the drive instead.

Old 07-25-2004, 07:58 PM
melindalou
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Wave
Can we get an address for the meeting place. I can Mapquest it from my location. I have a dinner date that night I am still lobbying for the drive instead.
Okay-We went back over the route yesterday, just to make sure everything is cool. We're going to meet at 1:00pm at the BP station just off exit 105 of I-40 in Morganton. I'm sorry I didn't think to write down the exact address. I think you can Mapquest to exit 105. The BP station is to the right if you are exiting off of I-40 West, and to the left if you are exiting off of I-40 Eastbound. The BP Station will be on your right.
Why can't you combine the dinner date with the drive? The address of the restaurant is 128 Greenlee Ford Road Morganton,NC 28655 if anyone can't make the drive and wants to meet there. We should arrive there sometime between 4 and 4:15pm.
I'm going to try to email all my phone numbers to everyone, so if anyone is running late or is lost, they can call me. Also, email me or PM me if you have any questions. :smile:
Oh, just to clarify, because I think I posted this wrong somewhere...
We are going to MEET at the BP station at 1:00pm, with a planned DEPARTURE time of 1:30pm.
Melinda

Old 07-26-2004, 07:07 AM
1MiniGrl
Banned
Hey guys...looks like I'm going to have to back out of this. I probably won't be doing anything unless it's local until after I get my house stuff done, which will be at the end of September. I'll keep checking for stuff around Raleigh to do, or maybe I can get something together!

Anyway, have fun this weekend guys! I'll look forward to joining you guys during a later run!

Michelle

Old 07-26-2004, 07:23 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be there! Anyone coming from I-40 east and would like to stop in Clemmons and continue on. Please stop at the top of the ramp at KFC @ noon or there abouts and we'll leave right after.

Last edited by TWISTER; 07-26-2004 at 07:52 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-26-2004, 09:13 AM
melindalou
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 20cooper04
I'll be there! Anyone coming from I-40 east and would like to stop in Clemmons and continue on. Please stop at the top of the ramp at KFC @ noon or there abouts and we'll leave right after.
Cool! We'll look forward to seeing you!
Michelle, I'm sorry I won't get to meet you, but maybe next time...I hope to get to a Raleigh meet one of these days. How many people will be in your car 20cooper04? (I'm trying to get a number for the restaurant). Also, Michelle, do you know if Audioman is still coming?
Melinda

Old 07-26-2004, 09:19 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just me!

Old 07-26-2004, 09:37 AM
1MiniGrl
Banned
Originally Posted by melindalou
Cool! We'll look forward to seeing you!
Michelle, I'm sorry I won't get to meet you, but maybe next time...I hope to get to a Raleigh meet one of these days. How many people will be in your car 20cooper04? (I'm trying to get a number for the restaurant). Also, Michelle, do you know if Audioman is still coming?
Melinda
Bummer for me! Hopefully we can meet sometime in the near future! :smile: I'll check with Audioman and see if he is still coming. I'll PM him since his work schedule for him is funny. When I find out, I'll let you know if he doesn't post here. Have fun motoring! As soon as this house thing for me is done, I'll be itching to do some serious motoring!

Michelle

Old 07-26-2004, 11:52 AM
1MiniGrl
Banned
Melinda Lou,

Hope I don't double post, but wanted to let you know that Audioman is planning on coming up! Have a great time! I'll be thinking of the great time you all are having!:smile:

Michelle

Quick Reply: Western NC/Lake James Drive