Sota MINIs The Sota MINIs (Minnesota) club forum.

A new engine for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 06:54 AM
adame
Coordinator :: MINIsota Motoring Society (MMS)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A new engine for me?

So for the last couple weeks, there has been this "fluttering" noise that happens when the car seems to be under load or when I'm applying the gas. It wasn't super loud, but you could hear it in the cabin and more if the window was down. It almost sounded like when you put cards in your spokes on your bike as a kid. It made me nervous, cuz the last time I heard something like this, I needed a new transmission. Which ended up being 3. So I made an appointment with the dealer and I got the MINI tech and the shop foreman to take a drive. They're aware of the transmission history and are looking into my "fluttering" noise. Everything is still speculation, but there's talk of a replacement of some sort. Not sure if they mean the engine or the trandsmission. Apparently there was some metal shavings in the oil filter. Not cool - seeing as I just changed the oil a couple days ago.....In the meantime, I'll cruise around in my blue Nissan from Enterprise until I hear more.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:22 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal shavings not withstanding, could this be just an exhaust leak at the mainfold?

Old 04-05-2005, 07:30 AM
adame
Hmmm - not sure. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I hope the dealership thinks of checking that out. Can you tell just by looking at it? Does it happen at idle?

If it is what you're suggesting, would the sound work with this scenario:

I can hear the noise and then I push the clutch in and leave my foot on the gas where it was, the sound goes away.

Thanks for your suggestion - I'll for sure mention it to the dealer.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:37 AM
sdanaher
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
How much does a new S engine run?

Old 04-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
If you look in His Sig, my budy Adam doesn't have an S, but aparently I think his warranty is long gone..

Hope for the best Adam, Thats basically all we can do.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:43 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sdanaher
How much does a new S engine run?
You don't want to know. I wouldn't even consider it. A salvage yard will find you one for 1/4 the cost that Mini will want. I'm still unsure why they want so much money for such a low-tech engine.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:44 AM
sdanaher
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Do you know the value... I'm actually in a similar boat right now, and trying to find out the value of the engine

Old 04-06-2005, 07:07 AM
adame
Not sure how much an S powerplant from the dealer will set anyone back. I'll see if I can get a number when I talk to the dealer today. Still no word on progress - I think the shop foreman is at some training for a couple days.

Motorwerks BMW service gave me the impression they were going to try to push to get this covered under warranty seeing as it's "only" been 3 years and I've had several transmissions thus far. We'll see. I guess if it ISN'T covered, I'll be selling myself.

Zak - I saw you posted and here and I thought you were going to donate THE MACHINE lol. oh well....

Old 04-06-2005, 08:22 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Well I hope it turns out to be a simple fix. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:28 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
That blows.

I missed the part about metal shavings at first, hopefully it all works out, this may not help, the problem sounded similar at first .....

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18230&highlight=knocking

Old 04-06-2005, 08:51 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
There was someone locally selling a mc engine and tranny for $900 but the ad expired. I'll keep my eye out for the next ad.

Old 04-06-2005, 09:01 AM
adame
gmack:Thanks for the tip - should be a good read
meanboy: very much appreciated

Old 04-07-2005, 06:00 AM
adame
I talked to my Service Advisor last night and apparently after everyone saw the metal shavings in the oil filter, and the fact that I've had 3 transmissions, they pushed for me to get a new motor from MINI USA. And MINI USA said "okay". The best part is that it's going to be covered!! This is extremely good news for me, cuz there was no way I would be able to shell over whatever the damages would have been to have the motor fixed, let alone replaced.

MINI USA - You rock. THANK YOU.

They'll be placing the order today I guess and I should be motoring again sometime late next week. I still want to talk to the guys who actually looked at the motor and see if they found anything other than the metal shavings or have any idea what/where they're coming from.

Until then I'll keep motoring in my counterfeit MINI; NISSAN Sentra from Enterprise - which I just noticed has expired tabs. Thanks Enterprise!

Old 04-07-2005, 06:17 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
Hey bud, you just reminded me to to look at my tabs and notice they were 6 months out od date! you may get pulled but enterprise will get the bill.. Good to hear some positived feedback on your engine issue

Old 04-07-2005, 06:19 AM
adame
Thanks dude - 6 months!!

slacker

Old 04-07-2005, 06:22 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Originally Posted by adame
Thanks dude - 6 months!!

slacker
I think that's a Michigan thing. I don't think I ever renewed my plates on time when I lived there I was a good 3-4 months late once, but I don't think I was ever 6 months late

Good to hear a happy outcome for the engine thing.

Old 04-08-2005, 07:12 AM
adame
Thanks all!

I stopped by the dealer yesterday to grab stuff out of the MINI and also to get tabs for my rental - a weird story in itself....I was able to talk to the service guys for a second.

They told me the noise was bad rod bearings. There were some half-moon peices laid out on the bench and some of them were not pretty. Some had streaks or markings in a line, while another was just plain beat up. I was told that these are supposed to be nice and shiny and smooth. Apparently the metal shavings in the oil came from these pieces being beat to crap. Not exactly sure how or why - but it's at least good to see what the noise was all about. I wish I knew more about engines and had more time to talk to the techs and learn about this, but oh well. If all goes well, I should be back on the road this time next week.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
Cool Adam, BTW my tab post was all a joke, only to make you feel better.
I myself is getting a new engine! A MCS! I am picking it up tomorrow (Saturday with Rye who is picking up his MOM's Cabrio S. On Sunday we are planning on a thumb tour drive. We have to break in those MINI's ASAP! You know I got mods planned and some already paid for!

Old 04-08-2005, 10:43 AM
adame
Originally Posted by Maximusmini
Cool Adam, BTW my tab post was all a joke, only to make you feel better.

You're a cruel, cruel man Zak.

Enjoy that S

I'm terribly jealous,
Adam

Old 04-12-2005, 09:50 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Here's the link for the engine/tranny

In case someone else needs it.

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/67621320.html

$675.00.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:26 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
I guess I missed the three transmissions story. When you have a minute or two, I'd appreciate the readers' digest version -- or a link to the appropriate spot -- if possible.

I'm glad this current problem is working out well for you. Looks like MINI will be replacing quite a bit. And you should end up with at least a bit of a warranty on the new engine...

Old 04-13-2005, 06:57 AM
adame
Originally Posted by minims
I guess I missed the three transmissions story. When you have a minute or two, I'd appreciate the readers' digest version -- or a link to the appropriate spot -- if possible.
I can't remember if I posted anything about my transmissions or not...so I'll do a review here for ya.

The original transmission started making a loud noise on me last summer, which would make it 2 years old. It sounded like something was hitting the fan, except that every time I accelerated, the noise got worse. It was SOOO loud - I was scared to drive it. I had it towed to the dealership and they checked it out. Turned out to be some sort of seal that went bad and caused things to rub incorrectly or something....sorry for not remembering. The replaced it. Luckily to the tune of zero dollars, as I was still in my warranty....barely. The transmission they replaced it with seemed to be okay, but then it would make a grinding noise if I made a fast shift from first to second. So basically if I was "out motoring" it would happen. My wife had it happen to her a couple times as well. It didn't do it between any other gear combination, just first and second. Didn't seem to matter what RPM, just as long as it was a fast shift. I had to bring it in the the dealer a couple times, as often times they were unable to reproduce the sound. Finally a tech came along with me as I drove and I demonstrated the sound. He drove and was able to get the same results. He said I was "speed shifting"... I thought that was without the clutch or something...either way, I told him it didn't sound right and that my original transmission wasn't doing it and I don't think this one should be doing it either. So they replaced that one as well. I think once they took it out, they said something was goofy with the synchros. At any rate, I've been on this 3rd transmission for a little while now and things seem to be going fine so far.

Hopefully nothing will surface when it's mated to this new motor. I'll try to post the sheet I get back as to what they replaced and diagnosed it as.

Thanks for reading!