Sota MINIs The Sota MINIs (Minnesota) club forum.

Fall Color Tour Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fall Colors Tour - updated

The date is set! Join us THIS WEEKEND, Sunday, October 17th for a Fall Colors Tour, MMS style. The route details still have yet to be worked out, so if you know of some cool routes, meet us Wed. October 13th at Tony Romas on the 3rd floor, Mall of America, at 6pm. We're going to be discussing route options and start times, etc. If you have some thoughts, but can't make it Wednesday, let us know here and we'll talk about it when we meet.

Fall Colors Tour
When: Sunday, October 17th
Time: TBD at Tony Roma's, Mall of America, 3rd floor, 6pm, October 13th. This is an open invite!
Route: TBD at Tony Roma's, Mall of America, 3rd floor, 6pm, October 13th.

Originally posted by maximusmini:
We need to get something like a Fall Color Tour going on up here, I've heard of some speak of nice racy-curvy roads around here. Is anyone interested in helping me get this meet going? I'd like to bring all of the members of this area into one meeting spot and get a things going maybe an annual meeting, but then again we can make it weekly. I'm asking you because I just moved here and woul mlike to get to know the area ALOT better than I do now, and I hear of roads that were designed by an autocrosser or racer. Let me know if you have any suggestions or would like to help me pull this together.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:32 AM
adame
Coordinator :: MINIsota Motoring Society (MMS)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great Idea!

We just got back from Lutsen last weekend and the colors were at thier peak. It was awesome. It should be getting that way down here pretty quick. There's a route that we've done a couple times down south, towards Pepin, which was a blast! My wife left some good marks from holdin' on to the door handle on that run! (okay...so she's a wuss when it comes to driving fast...)

I'll help ya out however I can. We need to meet for sure! I want to hear your system and maybe do a test drive if you'd let me. :smile:

Old 10-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
FCT Planning session

I'd be more than willing to let you do a test drive and let you hear my system, Let me know what days you're free, but not the weekend. I'll pretty much have any of the weekdays afternoon times off, unless I get sick (knock on wood) How well do you know the area? we hould meet up like daily and plan some routes.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:50 AM
adame
I "kinda" know the area. I moved down here about 5 years ago, but don't really know too much outside of the freeways. I'm from Duluth and this is THE BIG CITY! lol

I have a couple routes that I do in town sometimes which kinda string together small sections of frontage roads and cloverleafs.

Weekdays work best for me as well. I pretty much always get done with work at 3:30 and have to be at the bus stop in Eagan to pick up Tracy, my wife at 5:00, so I've got a little time inbetween work and that. I work at 94 and 694. I'll check my map and see if I can find some good twisties.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
Ok that will be a big help. and when we find some good twisties, we should both go out and test them out.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:06 AM
adame
You KNOW IT!

Old 10-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
Hmm what day do you wanna get together for out planning session? pick a place, and we'll collaborate on a time.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:13 AM
adame
Probably next week sometime. I have to finish up stuff for the BBQ/Scavenger Hunt this weekend.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
Ok that sounds good to me, maybe we could get a large booth at a restuarant or bar, spread out our maps and grab our highlighters.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:19 AM
adame
Awesome. I'll check my schedule and let you know. Any locale better/worse for you? I can't imagine that you DISlike driving anywhere

Old 10-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
I have no problem with the local/or long distance I LOVE driving anywhere.except in traffic.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:51 AM
puck
2nd Gear
Keep me posted, I might be up to joining you for a map-day

Old 10-07-2004, 12:17 PM
MINIGURU37
1st Gear
Metting Up

COUNT ME IN ALSO, IF YOU GUYS MEET NEXT WEEK I CAN SHOW YOU
ALL SOME ROUTE TO TAKE/

Old 10-07-2004, 01:16 PM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
That would be great, got to wait for the weekend to go through then I can make some decisions.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
So anyone else out there who knows some backroads? I would like to get a lot of people involved, hmm how can we say this to interest you all in planning? Food? Come On EVERYONE! Jump in and throw some ideas out. If you want this event to be a blast then we need some input from you guys.

Old 10-08-2004, 01:59 PM
puck
2nd Gear
Um... ummm... ummm...

I know a good road!

Ummmm...

CR 4 in Washington Cty.

Does that help?

This pressure is getting to my nerves

Old 10-08-2004, 02:17 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
When I was trying to break my Mini in before the first autocross, I drove Highway 60 from like Mazeppa to Wabasha. It's an okay drive. But you know, I've been on a lot of appalachian roads, so my standards are kinda high.

I've heard highway 61 is nice.

Old 10-08-2004, 02:24 PM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
Ok this is where we need to get together and plan some roads that would be good.

Old 10-09-2004, 06:57 AM
adame
Next Wednesday works good for me. I have to drop Tracy off at the Mall. We could meet at Tony Roma's or something. Sit down, have some beers, appetizers, etc.

Old 10-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
Tony Roma's? in MOA or what? BTW I'm not 21 but I'll dig the appetizers!

Old 10-09-2004, 11:27 PM
adame
It doens't have to be Tont Roma's, that was just a thought. But yes, the MOA.

Old 10-10-2004, 12:01 PM
n0uk
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by adame
I "kinda" know the area. I moved down here about 5 years ago, but don't really know too much outside of the freeways. I'm from Duluth and this is THE BIG CITY! lol

I have a couple routes that I do in town sometimes which kinda string together small sections of frontage roads and cloverleafs.

Weekdays work best for me as well. I pretty much always get done with work at 3:30 and have to be at the bus stop in Eagan to pick up Tracy, my wife at 5:00, so I've got a little time inbetween work and that. I work at 94 and 694. I'll check my map and see if I can find some good twisties.
I know you can't get much speed up (25mph limit even) but the roads around the lakes are quite nice to drive. You must work very close to me (Bass Lake Road and 169). I take 169 south to 55 east and then take Theo Wirth Parkway to Cedar Lake Pkwy, then Dean Pkwy to (I think) Lake Calhoun Pkwy West to "whatever the road is around Lake Harriet" Pkwy and, then finally Minnehaha Pkwy the rest of the way home. That would get you fairly close to the MOA - well, Cedar Ave and Minnehaha Pkwy anyway.

It's much nicer than the freeway system.

Chris

Old 10-10-2004, 02:27 PM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
Well I love MOA, I've been there three times before and two of them were over this weekend! My father was in town to visit and He wanted to see Mall of America. I got some cool t-shirts made there. I gotta show you them, but my camera broke so I have to use my phone cam. Well I don't mind the ride out to Mall of America, there's also Famous Daves, Bubba Gump, umm.....a few others.. Well let's plan on Wednesday to meet at a restaurant, just pick one, it would be easier to pick one on the third floor, hmm....my schedule, I get out of class on Wednesday at 2:20, will something around 3:00 sound good?

Old 10-10-2004, 05:52 PM
2005LY
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by satay-ayam
I've heard highway 61 is nice.
61 has the great view and colors, depends on what section you drive to get the twisties (there aren't many). Between Wabasha and Lake City is pretty nice.

We're thinking of heading down to Lewiston next weekend to see how things are changing. There are some nice wide, sweeping curves on the way.

Old 10-11-2004, 07:33 AM
adame
Let's try this....

Since there's not much time left for the leaves, what does the 17th look like for your schedules?
Should we just say that there will be a Fall Color Tour on the 17th and then Wednesday there will be a meeting to discuss the route? That way people will have a little more notice?

Quick Reply: Fall Color Tour Maybe?