Sota MINIs The Sota MINIs (Minnesota) club forum.

Puck's new pulley!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 01:12 PM
adame
Coordinator :: MINIsota Motoring Society (MMS)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Puck's new pulley and stuff!

I'm excited to hear all about puck and his new pulley, so I made a thread! How'd the install go? Is it faster?! What's most noticeable? Can I drive it?!

Old 10-06-2004, 01:25 PM
puck
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well if you weren't sooooooo busy, you could have checked it out tonight.

Actually the one that I purchased online was defective, but Orr Autosport is an Alta dealer, so they had one in stock.

Totally painless for me (aside from warranty and money). I just dropped it off in the morning and picked it up after work. They had it done before 3:00pm.

So far I love it. Basically... well, you know the supercharger whine that starts in serious at about 4k? Well now it seems to kick in at 2500 rpm Some of that low end torque that was missing is there now.

I was afraid that I'd be uncomfortable at higher revs, but I had it up around 6k on the highway for a short distance, and it didn't seem to be straining at all.

As I told Gail, it just seems like Puck (the car) stopped smoking. (Puck, the me, is in the process, but not enjoying it nearly as much). It just sounds like the engine is breathing mre freely than ever. Which it is, I suppose, since I also have a Dinan intake installed.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:27 PM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
...and the dash?

Old 10-06-2004, 01:31 PM
puck
2nd Gear
You the same COOPERation from MINI2? He's everywhere!

The dash is going in tonight. Right now it's sitting on my dining room table looking tres

I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:33 PM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
Originally Posted by puck
You the same COOPERation from MINI2? He's everywhere!
Everywhere but where I should be...

Look forward to the dash installed.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:56 PM
puck
2nd Gear
You'd better be good in here, or I'm going to tell everyone you came out in public without a flashy sig.

You know you'd never hear the end of that.

Old 10-06-2004, 09:48 PM
puck
2nd Gear
Just in case you don't check any of the other threads COOP, here's the dash

Old 10-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice painted dash, but I cannot help but point out those dangerously dirty flo' mats!

Old 10-06-2004, 10:03 PM
puck
2nd Gear
Oh, cruel and heartless.

I'm tired.

They're rubber. I promise I'll clean them tomorrow

Old 10-07-2004, 04:12 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
The dash looks...well...dashing, ace, tops...excellent.

...oh and I'm there, just not in the same guise as here.

Old 10-07-2004, 05:38 AM
adame
Looks very nice! I bet that's got to add at least another .5hp with the pulley and intake!!

What's that switch or button to the left, down by your knee? Is that for the garage door, or is that your switch to engage the pulley, like in Mad Max

Old 10-07-2004, 05:51 AM
puck
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by adame
Looks very nice! I bet that's got to add at least another .5hp with the pulley and intake!!

What's that switch or button to the left, down by your knee? Is that for the garage door, or is that your switch to engage the pulley, like in Mad Max
That's the weirdo switch they put in to turn on the driving lights. I want to change it to a switch on the main bank instead. It's got a little light to tell me when it's on, but it's almost impossible to see.

I'm estimating .7hp, because my desire to go fast will be increased. The power of positive thinking and all that. :smile:

Old 10-07-2004, 06:09 AM
adame
weirdo switch! That's great.

So what's next now that the dash and pulley are in?

Old 10-07-2004, 06:46 AM
puck
2nd Gear
That is the tough question. A while back I thought I was done.

I've pretty much given up on that idea.

Most of the votes last night were for leaving the door plates anthracite rather than painting them. I think the gauge rings should be chrome, but that can wait. I'd love to get that switch replaced... bidding on a switch assembly on ebay for that very purpose. I've thought about the MINI armrest that was reviewed on Motoringfile.

So many possibilities. I love it!

Old 10-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
No perofrmance mods? sooner or later I'll be catching up to all of the S' in this world with my FIRST IN THE WORLD MCS Map O1 in a CVT Mini. hmmm......then later I'm the guy who will be ending up dropping the M&tuning turbo into my car. Then I'll be faster than you guys.... yes that means faster than the dinan dude.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:28 AM
adame
Mmmm - M7 - nice stuff there.

We definately need to get another fun run together. Now that Puck has his pulley, and Charlie and Frozenquest have their Ss now and I....well... I have a new decal!!

Pcuk, have you done anything to your suspension? Sway bars, control arms, strut brace, lowering springs? anything like that. Did the shop that did your pulley say if they had done any prior to yours? It'd be interesting to have an idea of how many of the other Ss running around are breathing better.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:45 AM
puck
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by adame
Mmmm - M7 - nice stuff there.

We definately need to get another fun run together. Now that Puck has his pulley, and Charlie and Frozenquest have their Ss now and I....well... I have a new decal!!

Pcuk, have you done anything to your suspension? Sway bars, control arms, strut brace, lowering springs? anything like that. Did the shop that did your pulley say if they had done any prior to yours? It'd be interesting to have an idea of how many of the other Ss running around are breathing better.
Charlie said that they had done about half a dozen pulleys prior to mine.

Actually I meant to ask Zak last night about his sway bars. Big difference? Some difference? I've looked at springs, but alot of them are lower than I'd like. The whole winter-snow-plow thang could get pretty old. I'm sure a bunch of the ricers I see around town with the aero-kits 1/2" off the pavement have to be simply shut down come winter.

I would love to have just a little less roll on turns, a little less oversteer, but not less comfort since I drive 50 miles or more a day. Split the defense kind of speccing.

BTW, latest general feeling about the pulley: rock-n-roll man, rock-n-roll. Felt great driving in to work today. I can't wait for a morning with less traffic so I can open it up another step or two.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
Ok, I have the sway bar on the first setting and it seems to be less than I thought. The second setting is starting to sound better to me. The difference is very noticeable, especially at high speeds, The sway bars makes you back end pivot more than slide which helps in autocrossing, and I think Satay noticed me not doing so well on the turns because of the sway bar.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:56 AM
adame
That's cool. I hear ya on the lowering portion of things. Just doesn't make sense to be THAT low! If you haven't seen this site yet, it's pretty funny! http://ricecop.com

I've read that the rear sway bar is awesome for dialing down the oversteer and making the car very neutral feeling.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:58 AM
adame
So the sway bar wasn't helping as much as it should have been? Which sway bar do you have? Did you do the install? If so was it hard?

Originally Posted by Maximusmini
Ok, I have the sway bar on the first setting and it seems to be less than I thought. The second setting is starting to sound better to me. The difference is very noticeable, especially at high speeds, The sway bars makes you back end pivot more than slide which helps in autocrossing, and I think Satay noticed me not doing so well on the turns because of the sway bar.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
The sway bar I have is form H-sport, great product, I just put it on the beginner level and I can advance to the expert level, it is fully adjustable to your needs. I did not do the sway bar myself, I had a couple of guys over michigan who got a company called Detroit Tuned..check out their website at www.detroittuned.com

Old 10-07-2004, 11:11 AM
adame
Nice. I stopped at the Detroit Tuned site awhile back, after I saw your decal and was disappointed that there wasn't anything other than the front page. Or am I being silly and missing something else?

It's nice to know that there's something relatively close that does MINI stuff (other than the dealers). Did they do your stereo too?

Old 10-07-2004, 11:13 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
No they didn't although they would like to sometime do a stereo install.. But right now they are in the proccess of buying a slightly used MCS motor off of ebay and they plan on doing some R & D with it. Their website is also in the proccess of being completed, they only have a homepage right now and they are bugging their host to hurry up and show the products as they were hoping for display and some of their installs.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:37 PM
puck
2nd Gear
Well, I just jumped through a hundred Brown™ hoops, and hopefully they will be picking up the new wheels tomorrow and getting them to me by next Wednesday. This is becoming quite the eventful puck-month!

So the question was, what's next?

Old 10-08-2004, 05:52 AM
adame
No kidding! This is great. I get to live vicariously through you, he he.

Those are sweet wheels!
What about brakes? I recently added Power Slot rotors and new pads up front. Wanted to do SS lines as well, but couldn't.

Originally Posted by puck
Well, I just jumped through a hundred Brown™ hoops, and hopefully they will be picking up the new wheels tomorrow and getting them to me by next Wednesday. This is becoming quite the eventful puck-month!

So the question was, what's next?

Quick Reply: Puck's new pulley!