Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

To change the oil filter or no?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 11:10 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To change the oil filter or no?

I'm changing my oil after two years but only ~300 mikes (health prevents me from driving it often). I got my kit from ECS to do the whole service. But I'm wondering if I really should change the filter with the oil with so few miles.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (10-03-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 11:17 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by cadfael_tex
I'm changing my oil after two years but only ~300 mikes (health prevents me from driving it often). I got my kit from ECS to do the whole service. But I'm wondering if I really should change the filter with the oil with so few miles.
If it were me, I would not. For a car that does not get driven much, best is to avoid short trips. Short trips kill exhaust as the pipes and muffler never get hot enough to vaporize and dry out water that is the primary combustion byproduct. Just take a long drive from time to time, and use a charger to keep the battery charged.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:03 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by cadfael_tex
...I'm wondering if I really should change the filter with the oil with so few miles.
You’re right; there’s an argument for not changing a filter that’s only filtered less than 300 miles worth of oil put through it. You could say that for the oil itself for that matter, but it’s been a while.

The only glitch with that approach is that the oil filter housing, when sealed, holds some of the oil (10% +/- of the oil in the engine) that you wish to change, and the only way to get that oil is to take the cover/filter off to release the drain back valve, which allows that oil to drain into the pan.

If it were me, I’d do the complete change, oil and filter, and from then on try your best to employ a regimen of running the car regularly to get it to WOT (working operating temperature) as pnwR53S suggests, as not running it can negatively affect all components of the vehicle, not just the engine.

Last edited by AoxoMoxoA; 09-30-2017 at 04:11 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:08 AM
pnwR53S
Actually I meant that if it were me, I would not change the oil nor the filter. I would do the same even on my quite pristine Mini, or for that matter my Porsche, unless there are other considerations like concern of factory warranty. I can see where this thread can head to. The OP's oil if he should empty it, will look dark but it will be perfect for another 4000 miles for normal driving. It is just my view.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:34 AM
pnwR53S
For the cost of the filter, and precious synthetic oil saved, here is
one best charger money can buy one best charger money can buy

Porsche shamelessly re-badged this and sells it for $300.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:21 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
If you loosen the filter housing the oil will drain back into the oil pan. Just did this yesterday myself. Let is drain for an hour and you will be surprised at how little oil is left in the filter.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:27 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Over the years I've learned and understand that oil never really goes bad, the additives will and also collect debris that will effect the engine. Refineries can reprocess the oil, add additives and it's like new again.

But sitting in your engine block, the bend is in constant contact with your engine metals, any coolant that might have migrated to the oil and air that can migrate also. It's not setting in the plastic container on a shelf safe and sound.

I'd recommend changing the filter and oil ... then set up a schedule running it on a set regiment if not used that much. This will circulate the oil over the bearings and so on plus dry out the system.

Also, I'd like to mention I believe in the comment of the battery charger when sitting long term. I've used the Battery Tender for 30 years and gave them to my grandson for his quad runner. He's still using them. I wanted new tools for retirement.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:46 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,772 Posts
Thanks for the order, I would change the oil and you can keep the filter there but after maybe a couple years i would change it. Maybe next time. I dont know over time for many years if the filter will degrade (lint) by touching oil all the time for very long periods of time.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172