R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Is it totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 04:28 AM
devilmotorsports
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it totaled?

This happened last Thursday evening, I'm ok but ticked, I just go my car back from having the clutch replaced. Anyone familiar with body work? The body shop isn't going to be able to even appraise my car until Friday. I'm really stressing out about them totaling my car. How bad is it?

Old 11-01-2016, 07:04 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Ouch... Of course anything can be fixed but insurance wise and with the price of labor at the dealer I'd say it very well could be totaled..

Old 11-01-2016, 07:54 AM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you got every option and its low miles they may fix it but if its not totaled you need to be on it, be sure you ask about warranty and alignment. Ive seen ok looking work until you got under the car, be around to see that they cut out all the necessary parts some side cash to techs can go a long way but you have to be careful no one sees and if the boss is determined to skimp it may not help. on the plus side it can be fixed even better than new with some luck

Old 11-01-2016, 09:06 AM
Kmill
1st Gear
airbags go off? any broken glass? the'll have to replace a lot of the rear part of the body, but all else looks ok. hopefully it goes straight, when my r53 was total loss, it was because the frame twisted.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:22 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Just for reference. Friend nosed a guard rail. Needed Hood, Headlight, A-Panel and a few things that go along with those, grille, and new alum bumper guard that goes behind the bumper etc. Course all new stuff needed paint and installed. Granted it was a 4 year old car at the time. Estimate was $10,500 of which parts were $3500. Paint and Labor was the rest. It's the labor rate that totals cars now.. He bought the car back and fixed it for a fraction of that..

Sadly I see alot of labor to fix your car. Hope all goes well for you and you get the fix you want out of it. Keep us posted..

Old 11-01-2016, 12:03 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Glad you're safe...everything can replaced except for a life...i think they will total it. you still owe payments on it? can you buy it back from insurance and sell it?

Old 11-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
a shops quote on certain jobs may depend on how busy they are they need to keep working not hard but that spec all4 and if the work is localized might hit the spot, anyway you will find out soon enough

Old 11-01-2016, 05:30 PM
devilmotorsports
3rd Gear
No air bags, no broken glass, all in all I consider myself very luck as I didn't even see the truck that hit me. It has every option except nav so I'm hoping they aren't going to total it.

It pisses me off to no end, cause I was an innocent by stander in all this. A commercial dump truck caused all this, because he didn't want to wait to merge in the slow lane and jump out into the fast lane off the on ramp. The pickup truck in the fast lane slowed to allow for merging traffic and got rear ended by the dump truck. That knocked the pickup into the back of me in the slow lane and spun me around. The pickup truck rolled over on the driver side. The dump truck, not even a scratch.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:19 PM
ayypeeemm
2nd Gear
glad to hear you're ok. sad to tell you but an insurance adjuster will definitely total that. The QP alone is very expensive and time consuming (something like 18 hours to replace, not including the part price), then they have to deal with the rear rails and getting it straight again. Last thing the adjusters want is to NOT total it up front, and then the shop start the work and find a ton of additional work and have to go back out the car. Our adjusters will just total it rather than deal with the huge supplement and a possibly unsafe repair

Old 11-02-2016, 12:53 PM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
hmm twice Ive been around when friends asked to get totaled out and got repairs the first job was yes terrible. The second one I went with my friend and watched the guys cut out almost the whole side and rebuild the VW Golf they did amazing work, I do my own body work so can take forever but these guys were magic my friend got to see them do the alignment and they detailed the car so nice he said it was better than when he got it new. Both wrecks were way worse than this but Ive seen a Prius with a ding get totaled out I was thinking the Pruis had a higher salvage value and more miles on it in that case my friend didn't want to be totaled

Old 11-02-2016, 02:36 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Ulterior motives come into play on some insurance adjusting gigs. I will leave it at that.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:13 AM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Ahhhh bribe the adjuster,,,, how much.. shops must be in on the action,,, what about the salvage yards,,, ok how to get that gig.... no really how much

Old 11-03-2016, 07:07 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Old 11-03-2016, 08:03 AM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Ahh the Prius was sort of jacked maybe, I had kind of thought that, Hey lets not worry the op too much. I liked that Prius dammmnnnn......

Old 11-03-2016, 05:35 PM
devilmotorsports
3rd Gear
Went by the body shop today to get some stuff out of the car and took some more photos in the day light. Its not pretty.. the shop did the estimate today and sent it over to my insurance company but I don't know the results yet. Apparently I'll find out in 1-5 days..

If its totaled I'll have some performance parts for sale soon. I think I'm gonna start looking for an R56 as well, just encase.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:30 PM
TocoWW
1st Gear
yikes!! Glad you're ok. I am sorry about your MINI. I would say thats totaled.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:32 PM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
would you really go for an r56 after an all4?

it could be the bones of a great rally car if you can buy it back and are into projects

Old 11-04-2016, 03:18 AM
devilmotorsports
3rd Gear
Only reason I want to go R56 is that I don't think I can find another R60 with the same equipment as what mine had for a payment I can afford, I got a great deal and had a trade in with mine. Got it for $14k

I feel like if I get another all4 and it doesn't have all the same stuff I'm just going to complain about all the things I'm missing or I used to have which will take away some of the enjoyment. Just how my mind works sadly.

I would like to buy it back and fix it up, but its my only car and with a job that requires more than 40 hours a week, a 2 year old and a wife, I'd never have time to do anything with it, or money lol

Old 11-04-2016, 06:30 AM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Well my thought was 10k+ for the fix so with salvage yes its likely to go. That was a good deal. If you are not a project junkie its probably best to not get started, however I have hoards of little nieces that Ive been indoctrinating into tools and cars and its quite fun 2 is a bit small yet...

I think all4 then stay FWD because its easier to work on. My wife hates being stuffed in the back of an R56, what about a non S Clubman, a good deal may even net a bit of pocket change, then you might find an r53/r56 rolling project.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:13 AM
devilmotorsports
3rd Gear
Welp, it's a goner.. they valued the car at $13k. Thankfully it will pay off my loan but doesn't leave much left over.

Let the test drives begin.. again..

Old 11-05-2016, 05:31 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Can you buy it back from them? Then part it out or sell as whole. You will recover big time

Old 11-05-2016, 11:13 AM
minicountry
3rd Gear
Sorry to see your CM that way, let us know what do you have for sale

Thanks

Old 11-05-2016, 12:59 PM
devilmotorsports
3rd Gear
Found my replacement

Provided I can get the stuff off in the parking lot I'll have the following.

Led Fog lights
Rally Light
Ziaa Led interior light kit
K&N cold air intake
Cravenspeed gauge mount
Marshall boost gauge
Engine mount insert bushings
Rear differential insert bushings
Forge Vacuum Assisted Diverter Valve
Forge Atmospheric Adapter

Last edited by devilmotorsports; 11-05-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:48 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd be mighty surprised if they allow you to pull all that stuff, unless obviously you buy it back. Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:55 PM
devilmotorsports
3rd Gear
Parts are up for sale here in the market place