Solo What Autocross class am I?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:46 AM
rvan220
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Autocross class am I?

ok I am kinda confused....I know the stock MCS is in G-Stock but I have done some things to my car.
I have a 05 MCS with 215/45/17 wheels, 15% pulley, CAI, 22mm rear sway bar and go faster stripes.
So what class would I be in now?
And would I still be in that same class if I didn't have the rear sway bar? Thanks

Old 09-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Methius
2nd Gear
Hate to say it, but the pully kicks you all the way to SM.

Check out this thread.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=95000

Old 09-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Mugami
Coordinator :: River City Minis
yeah what he said

Old 09-11-2007, 10:14 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by rvan220
ok I am kinda confused....I know the stock MCS is in G-Stock but I have done some things to my car.
I have a 05 MCS with 215/45/17 wheels, 15% pulley, CAI, 22mm rear sway bar and go faster stripes.
So what class would I be in now?
And would I still be in that same class if I didn't have the rear sway bar? Thanks
Check to see who is organizing your autocross event.

If it is BMWCCA then they have their own system as do local organizations.

If it is SCCA then there are national rules and once you change (add) any boost to the MINI then you are put into the very competitive Street Modified (SM) class.

So any MCS that has any reduction pulley will fall into SM. The rest of the upgrades are well within the rules of SM class which allow for a huge amount of upgrades.

So before modding any MCS you have to think about whether you want to autocross. If so then don't add the reduction pulley upgrade without thinking things through. G stock is favorable from a competition standpoint and still allows for some upgrades (shocks, cat back exhaust, stock sized light wheels and race R compound tires).

At your local level
G Stock MCS with really good wheels, manual transmission with factory LSD can expect to get within 1 to 1.5 seconds (raw time) from a fully modded SM class MINI running on better/wider wheels and tires on a 30 second course.
(given both drivers are experienced).

With handicaps applied
The G stock MINI will finish in the top 2
The SM MINI will finish just in the top 10
Both will be in first or second within their respective classes.

So lets say you did not have the pulley upgrade-
You do have-
05 MCS with 215/45/17 wheels- stock wheels and any DOT approved tire is OK for Stock classes
CAI is not legal in stock class, puts you into DSP or STX
22mm rear sway bar is not legal for stock class, puts you into DSP or STX

Even little things like a short shift kit or shift **** will put you into a non stock class.

You can put R compound sticky tires on a stock wheel but you won't want to drive to the event on those tires- so you'd need a spare set for street use.
CAI and rear bar are really in the same upgrade brackets so D Street Prepared if you want to run different wheels and any tires or Street Touring X if you want to upgrade to a limited number of wheels and run only Street legal tires of treadwear 140 or greater. Handicap is favorable in STX over DSP.

Last edited by minihune; 09-11-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:25 AM
rhubbard
4th Gear
Since this thread exists, I'll ask what class I'm in because it is always so confusing. I have the following:

19%
CAI
Exhaust
Motor mount inserts
M7 springs

In previous events, I've ran in CMT but it seems my competition is much further ahead of me.

Edit: According to the link above I'd be in Street Modified too.

Last edited by rhubbard; 09-11-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:14 AM
danjmcs
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Yep, as soon as you modify the boost by changing the pulley, your in SM.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Methius
2nd Gear
The pulley mod is a quick and inexpesive way to get HP, but it kicks you a LONG ways down the SCCA ladder.

Good luck in SM!

Old 09-11-2007, 02:06 PM
minihune
For more questions on Autocross classes see
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=95000

And there are autocross forums for the various classes as well.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:08 PM
rvan220
2nd Gear
well thats interesting......I guess I am in SM class then.....well at the last auto-X event I am a full 9 seconds off of the winner of the SM class and I was first in the GS class, looks like I have some work to do to get better. oh well I don't really do auto-x for competition just for fun. I really want to get my MINI on a real racetrack, I think thats where the fun is. oh well....Thanks for the info though..

Old 09-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Methius
2nd Gear
well thats interesting......I guess I am in SM class then.....well at the last auto-X event I am a full 9 seconds off of the winner of the SM class and I was first in the GS class, looks like I have some work to do to get better. oh well I don't really do auto-x for competition just for fun. I really want to get my MINI on a real racetrack, I think thats where the fun is. oh well....Thanks for the info though..
You were most likely a full 9 seconds off becuase you havent spent NEAR the money in mods that the SM winner did. And if you were first in GS with a pulley, than you had xx extra horsepower then you should have

Old 09-11-2007, 03:43 PM
minihune
Being first in class has to do with your times relative to those in your class that day. You could all drive fast or slower but you finished ahead.

Now apply the PAX handicap and see how you did compared to all drivers for the day with their handicaps- that is the measure of how well you did.

So if you are first in G stock but with Pax you finish 25th overall then you can do better and finish higher up.

With a 9 second difference I would guess that the SM class winner did finish in the top 10 with PAX or got closer to that than you did with PAX.

It's much easier to exploit all of the possible rules for modding in G-stock and remain legal. You have a cheaper and very competitive car that could knock the socks off about 80% of all cars that show up. In SM class you have rules to allow for many more mods than MINIs can do on a reasonable budget. The handicap reflects that allowance for generous mods so you must drive fast enough to make up the handicap. It isn't easy and you'll need a liberal amount of skill to make it happen each event.

In SM class the common experience is-
The class is usually big about 10 to 18 drivers each event
When you start you usually begin in the bottom 5 or worse and you usually are running on street tires and heavy rims.
Within about a year you figure out all the mods you can do and you get some done and you work up to some sort of competition tire that is less expensive.
You start to finish in the middle of the class and about 40% better than most drivers on PAX.
A year later you've gained experience and done enough suspension upgrades and tire changes to get into the top 4 in your class and you finish 70% better than other drivers on PAX.
Then you have to try not to make too many changes, get used to your car and develop your skill.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:20 PM
JBgotM
2nd Gear
For the mini has there been a push to get high boost legal in the appropriate SP class?

STi and Evo with stock turbo and more boost goes to BSP. WRX with stock turbo more boost goes to ESP.

I woul think they would make an allowance for Mini with stock blower and more boost go into something like ESP, or more likely ASP (since the JCW was there).

Old 09-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JBgotM
For the mini has there been a push to get high boost legal in the appropriate SP class?

STi and Evo with stock turbo and more boost goes to BSP. WRX with stock turbo more boost goes to ESP.

I woul think they would make an allowance for Mini with stock blower and more boost go into something like ESP, or more likely ASP (since the JCW was there).
JCW is BS, and hopefully soon to be DS.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:41 PM
minihune
Originally Posted by Gromit801
Well there are two ways to increase boost from the stock MCS.

Stock MCS is G Stock class.

Order the factory JCW kit MCS 2006/2007 and you can compete in B Stock or
STX or D Street Performance.

But if you add your own reduction pulley no matter which size then you go into the catch all Street Modified class.

So if you must add boost then do it using the factory JCW option and although it does cost more, you get a warranty and a bit better class to autocross in.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:42 AM
JBgotM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
Yes, I know this. JCW was ASP when it was not a factory option, which is why I said more boost would probably get classififed as ASP. I have auto-xed a JCW mini against an ASP national champ. I came in at 4 seconds behind him (but I was on street tires) for a 50 second run on a power course that he designed.

Sounds like peope haven't petitoned for an appropriate SP class with boost allowance.