Rocky Mountain Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho

Will it help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 11:46 AM
5280Motoring
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It appears the State of Colorado is proposing making it an offense to just drive in the left lane when not passing. Do you think it will actually have an impact? Read the article here.

Old 12-17-2003, 11:53 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
My prediction: It'll make absolutely no difference.

Old 12-17-2003, 12:10 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
As long as the right lane is grooved and rutted from semi-rig use, folks will prefer the smoother, left lane. I try to use the left lane for passing only, until I hit the really awful bumpy patches. Then I'm a leftie all the way! LOL!

Old 12-17-2003, 12:29 PM
alexp206
1st Gear
Well, that was a law in Jersey for as long as I can remember, and it didn't make much difference, though people were still better than in PA. They made it a law in PA recently, NO CHANGE. I just wish people would learn... You wouldn't believe how many miles I have spent cruising in the right lane passing people on the PA Turnpike. Or, on the off occasion that it comes up in conversation, how many people don't know it's a law. If the cops would take a queue from europe and start pulling people over for it, people would catch on real fast. Hopefully the penguins will get those people first.

Old 12-18-2003, 08:41 AM
drgmcs
1st Gear
Another poor attempt at legislating "common sense" just my 2 cents.

Dave

Old 12-18-2003, 08:50 AM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
It should be harder to get a license in the US. There's a reason why there's no speed limit (well, used to be none) on the Autobahn. They are much better drivers, and well the roads are better too... France is the same way.

David
-V--V-

Old 12-18-2003, 10:16 AM
5280Motoring
5th Gear
Having thought about it for a day, I think the principle is sound, but it will be difficult to enforce at the times and places necessary.

David is correct though. It's easy to get a license. It's easy to KEEP a license. I'm in favor of retesting both to keep people refreshed on the rules of the road and to catch those whose skills have diminished to the point where they aren't safe to be on the road.

Old 12-21-2003, 09:47 AM
Embalmer
2nd Gear
This proposed law needs some teeth. For instance, Commercial vehicles and vehicles being towed or towing a trailer/vehicle needs to be restricted to the far right hand lane EXCEPT when overtaking and passing a slower vehicle. Overtaking and passing on the right should result in a $10,000.00 fine and loss of driving privilege for life.

Old 12-21-2003, 09:59 AM
kumquat78
3rd Gear
yo, wait a minute there, what if you have to overtake and pass in the right lane because there's a moron doin 55 in the left lane in a 65 MPH zone?

Old 12-21-2003, 10:16 AM
weeone
1st Gear
>>Having thought about it for a day, I think the principle is sound, but it will be difficult to enforce at the times and places necessary.
>>
>>David is correct though. It's easy to get a license. It's easy to KEEP a license. I'm in favor of retesting both to keep people refreshed on the rules of the road and to catch those whose skills have diminished to the point where they aren't safe to be on the road.

I agree it is a sound principle but so is stopping at red lights, stopping at stop signs or the numerous other laws that are ignored more and more by Colorado drivers.
So it will just be another law that gets broken by idiot drivers.

Old 12-22-2003, 02:53 PM
5280Motoring
5th Gear
>>yo, wait a minute there, what if you have to overtake and pass in the right lane because there's a moron doin 55 in the left lane in a 65 MPH zone?

That moron is the person the new law is aimed at. I don't think their intent is to make it illegal to pass on the right when the situation warrants.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:36 AM
Embalmer
2nd Gear
Hmmmmm this type of motoring rule seems to work in Germany..and oh btw, in addition to the fine(US$) you loose your driving PRIVLEDGE for LIFE.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:44 AM
NRX13
2nd Gear
taken from the Daily Herald in Chicago:

Left-lane lollygaggers

Beginning today ( 01-01-04 ), motorists cruising along in the left lane while traffic piles up behind them even if they are driving the speed limit can be pulled over and ticketed.

The specific prohibition of left-lane lollygagging was the idea of state Rep. John Miller, a Carol Stream Republican and former Elmhurst police chief, who gained national attention from columnists and motorists fed up with slow drivers in the passing lane.

The law specifically outlaws driving in the left lane of multi-lane highways except when passing, changing lanes, paying tolls, yielding to emergency vehicles, during bad whether ( this word is supposed to be weather, looks like the writer made a mistake ), or when there is no traffic in the left lane.

A violation carries a $79 ticket.