Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

Race 2 Sebring results

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 11:45 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI-Madness
As promised here are the videos. Some are a bit shakey due to the track surface and Steve's car setup.

All movies are encoded with Apples Quicktime 7. If you don't have quicktime you can download it here: "quicktime download"

Practice Session (most fun to watch)

Qualifying Session

Race
Vid not working for me. What do I need?

Old 04-10-2006, 11:49 AM
MINI-Madness
Former Vendor
Follow the link I provided to Quicktime 7 and that should work.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:02 PM
micahbones
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RandyBMC
I noted that Steve mentioned that I was always 5 car lengths back for the first lap - but that's not quite accurate. During the first lap, when the tires were good for Steve, I was inside the car in turn one, then backed off. I again was close into turn 16, and kept that until turn 17 under the bridge when I was alongside Steve. He was able to close the door because the car shut off. ...he braked quite a bit earlier than I did - as I was able to pull quite a bit under the bridge until the fuel pump relay was disconnected.

Randy
This is confirmed by the race video from Steve's car - if you look in Steve's mirror you see Randy's red Mini come charging up the inside toward the end of the lap near the pedestrian overpass bridge, and then it's just gone...

Old 04-10-2006, 02:07 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice vids. It's hard to crunch those long one's down to manageable file sizes and keep decent quality. I would have preferred a bit higher bit rate myself but I'm not the one doing the hosting

On the first laps of the race vid, you can actually see the Webb car coming up the inside then vanishing in the distance (edit) darn, micahbones beat me to it.

Oh and one more thing... why does your steering wheel center farther and farther to the right as the race goes on? By the time it's over, the wheel is almost 90 degrees clockwise when your still going straight

Old 04-10-2006, 02:08 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, thanks for posting those 3 vids! I had to download QuickTime though, which is no biggie. Didn't like that it included iTunes though. Oh well...

Very nice driving Steve! I recall the sound of your MINI from some other popular vids last year...

I wish we had more giddy-up in the straights though.

I too saw Randy right there... We've got to wait until June. Drat! Thanks again!

Old 04-10-2006, 02:16 PM
camelpilot
Banned
Finally got it to work. Great videos. EXCELLENT Driving by Steve.

I'm still bummed about Randy's fusebox problem. The video and race would have been so much better had that not happened. I could see him coming in for the kill at 3m.35s of the race vid.

I'm looking very forward to the next race.

Goodluck to the both of you.

Hopefully the other Madness MINI will be there for that too?

And the Mania one.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Paulo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kapps
Nice vids. It's hard to crunch those long one's down to manageable file sizes and keep decent quality. I would have preferred a bit higher bit rate myself but I'm not the one doing the hosting

On the first laps of the race vid, you can actually see the Webb car coming up the inside then vanishing in the distance (edit) darn, micahbones beat me to it.

Oh and one more thing... why does your steering wheel center farther and farther to the right as the race goes on? By the time it's over, the wheel is almost 90 degrees clockwise when your still going straight
Yes, you observant! The Sleeve on the quick disconnect apparently slipped again Argh!, just called VAC again for another sleeve before next race at VIR this weekend. Rough track conditions & trying to hold the car steady must have stripped the spline on the Aluminum sleeve.
Not what you want to see during a race.
Steve

Old 04-10-2006, 03:09 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulo
Yes, you observant! The Sleeve on the quick disconnect apparently slipped again Argh!, just called VAC again for another sleeve before next race at VIR this weekend. Rough track conditions & trying to hold the car steady must have stripped the spline on the Aluminum sleeve.
Not what you want to see during a race.
Steve
I've got a brand new one, never used, for sale if you want it. $150

Old 04-10-2006, 04:52 PM
derek_lukasik
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kapps
I noticed that too. Thought it was just me though. Must have been a bit scary. Could you feel it slipping during the race? It looks like it is straight again at the end of the race during the cool down lap...

Old 04-10-2006, 07:54 PM
MINI-Madness
Former Vendor
More snaps from Sebring

Old 04-10-2006, 08:59 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hoping to see some videos from Randy....

Old 04-10-2006, 09:05 PM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by onasled
Me too.....

By the way, here is a video I took of the NAMCC Round 1 START at Las Vegas Speedway.

Randy had pole. Check out the start, one of the best ever. I was actually surprised that the much more powerful turbo Madness car got kind of smoked (no pun intended) at the start.

It caught up pretty good in the end though. Anyway, here is a clip of the start:

www.mininuts.com/video/NAMCCRound1Start.wmv

Old 04-11-2006, 04:18 AM
adame
Coordinator :: MINIsota Motoring Society (MMS)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you all for the videos and pictures! What a treat.

Old 04-11-2006, 07:33 AM
micahbones
3rd Gear
Damn Steve that is one tricked out little beast! I've never seen a rear diffuser on a Mini before - did you design that yourself? What size tires are you running? They look fat (are the wheels 15x7.5?)...

Old 04-11-2006, 07:47 AM
MINI-Madness
Former Vendor
Me too.....

By the way, here is a video I took of the NAMCC Round 1 START at Las Vegas Speedway.

Randy had pole. Check out the start, one of the best ever. I was actually surprised that the much more powerful turbo Madness car got kind of smoked (no pun intended) at the start.

It caught up pretty good in the end though. Anyway, here is a clip of the start:

www.mininuts.com/video/NAMCCRound1Start.wmv

A little info on the Madness Turbo car, ZERO suspension setup because of time constraints getting to vegas, on the tight course in vegas suspension setup was a major factor. Running low boost 15psi, fuel system needed upgrading for higher sustained boost events so it was running VERY VERY conservatively. It was our drivers first race ever AND his first drive in the turbo MINI, this explains why he totally blew the launch at the start. The turbo MINI has completely different power characteristics and takes more than a few practice laps to figure it out.

We ran the car more for fun and are very pleased that everything held togther. Expect to see more of this car in future races pushing close to 300whp on the track. Now that the fuel system has been upgraded and the driver continues to learn it's characteristics it will be a major contender.

FYI our sister car on the east coast should be attending some of the races as well, should make the series that much better!

Old 04-11-2006, 03:33 PM
pbraun
5th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
G - no more posting allowed until you get your car all built and on the track !

Old 04-11-2006, 03:48 PM
rajron
3rd Gear
Does the roof have an affect?

Do you think Randy’s roof affects the handling of his car?
Is it lighter or heavier than a metal roof – I remember Roger Penske and the Sunoco Camaro’s roof

Old 04-12-2006, 04:45 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We obvioulsy walked away from the other "Tuner Built" cars in Vegas - Steve's car was a privately built car with support from a vendor, but I think he deserves a lot of credit as the builder. There were a lot of weight saving techniques employed on Steve's car, and the diffuser was a great implementation of something we've been talking about for a while now at Webb Motorsports (inspired by our Elise side of the business).

Sebring was very unfortunate for us. The picture that Madness posted is the entry to turn 17, and you can see that we have the inside line, and from the video you can see we took full advantage of it - right up until the car shut off due to the kicked off fuel pump relay (my damned clumsy foot!). I would love to have the rematch - we are working on the finances right now. Sebring and Vegas together cost the company over $5000 in fuel, tires, entry and hotel! I now need new tires (I finished the race on a corded RA1), and after seeing the Hoosiers hold up for Steve, I may have to invest in a set - I know they are worth a second or so as long as they hold up. I plan on testing the R6 if we can get them.

I have to figure out what is going on with my video edit software - the video downloads fine, but then comes up very choppy when I try to host it. I only have Vegas - as the car didn't have the camera in Sebring (too much weight ). In reality, I simply forgot about it until the three minute warning on the grid!

As for the roof - yes it is lighter. It is all aluminum. It did effect the handling of the car, but I haven't had a chance to optimze it yet. The entire car is going through some weight changes, and until they are final, I will wait to set it up.

Hope that helps!
Randy

Old 04-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Paulo
3rd Gear
Difuser

Originally Posted by micahbones
Damn Steve that is one tricked out little beast! I've never seen a rear diffuser on a Mini before - did you design that yourself? What size tires are you running? They look fat (are the wheels 15x7.5?)...
Yes, Jason & I designed & built the difuser in my shop using my cad system & waterjet machine.
Steve