Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

Heat-shielding wires...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 05:11 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heat-shielding wires...

Ok, onasled started a thread some time ago about removing wires, but there are some you just can't or shouldn't remove...

For those of you on the track a lot, the heat being generated must be quite high, and there might be a need to protect or shield certain things from the heat. Here is a wrap that Nuzzo uses on his GrandAm MINI's:

Looks like ABS protection...

Anyone know what this material is, and where we can get it? While finishing-up some sway bar and end-link work today, I decided to finally remove the loose shielding in the rear. I'm a bit concerned about the positive lead being a couple of inches away from my muffler. Also, not shown, is the wiring for the reverse light, which I think would be ok without protection though...

Old 12-29-2005, 06:44 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea Tony, I think could be an issue. I have the same setup as you, but did not remove the factory heat shield as I felt it was better for air flow. I did however leave a bungee cord in the back of the car during a track run, over the area where the battery box used to be where there was no heat shield and it started to melt, as did some foam insulation that I placed between the main fuse box and that area. So, yes, I think you are looking at a problem with that wire.
I use a simple household heat duct insulation, basically bubble wrap sandwiched between foil, for those same areas that Nuzo does in those photos. Works great in those areas, but don't think it would fair so well that close to the exhaust.
There is great stuff out there though that most any speed shop has in stock usually. I'll look around the net.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:00 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
I almost didn't remove it, but it's just so much easier to see and work on things with it gone. I'll be openning-up the rear grills, or getting M7's, so flow-through should be helped by that.

I still envision some type of wing down there, one on each side of my muffler, ramping-up gradually to the grills for air-flow exit. This should help create down force, and also help evacuate hot air in that area...

Greg, if you can find a link, that would be great. I'm otherwise thinking about hacking-up the shielding I removed to make a piece just to cover battery hot lead...

Old 12-29-2005, 08:38 PM
rpterson
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tony B, You can get this material from HRP

Costs $2.60 to $4.25 per foot.

As for a diffuser under the car, I've made a mock up of wood of what you are describing. I've gotten aluminum to make a prototype but just haven't found the time to cut fit and weld. Hopefully in January I'll get it done.

onasled; Same set up but I used a piece of 1/2" ceramic Blanket with foil backing above the muffler. No heat where the battery box was. This was left over material from a restaurant hood install. It started out 1 1/2" thick. I just removed ply's till I had what I needed. You can buy it from HRP but it $32.00 for 18x48. Find a restaurant construction site and ask for some scrap pieces.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:47 PM
J Propane
5th Gear
Greg,

I hope you're not thinking of re-using that cable on your race car!

That's probably like a 10-15 lbs saving!

There's 2 battery cables on the car, one inside the car, the other one outside (the one in the picture). If I remember well this one goes to the alternator (or was that the other one?) and it's hidden in the body side enclosed compartment. We only kept the inside one.

Anyway, to make a long story short, save some weight!

Sorry to steal your thread Tony. Back on topic!

JP

Old 12-29-2005, 09:15 PM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by J Propane
Greg,

I hope you're not thinking of re-using that cable on your race car!

That's probably like a 10-15 lbs saving!

There's 2 battery cables on the car, one inside the car, the other one outside (the one in the picture). If I remember well this one goes to the alternator (or was that the other one?) and it's hidden in the body side enclosed compartment. We only kept the inside one.

Anyway, to make a long story short, save some weight!

Sorry to steal your thread Tony. Back on topic!

JP
Not stealing as it's good info!
No, I will be replacing all wirering ....
Yea, that one goes to the starter I think and the one in the car goes to the fuse boxes .... ummm I think ...:impatient

rpterson, I built a heat shield over the muffler from an old Deer X-ing sign. Came out real nice.
Won't be using that anymore as I 'think I may be exiting the exhaust out the side in front of the rear tire. Hoping for flames ....

Old 12-29-2005, 09:16 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
rpterson, thank you. Heck, I just bookmarked that website as they have plenty of goodies!

I was going to mock-up something with some cardboard, and once complete, aluminum as well...

JP, not a problem! Heck, it's our thread... I just started it

Old 12-29-2005, 09:20 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Greg, I do believe that you are right... that the one in the car, along the driver side floor paneling, goes to the fuse box. But, I'm sure you'll find-out for sure soon enough...

Old 12-29-2005, 09:27 PM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by TonyB
rpterson, thank you. Heck, I just bookmarked that website as they have plenty of goodies!
Tony, look away...... do yourself a favor and pretend you never saw that web site .... delete that bookmark! .... Repete after me "I don't need those Motons, ... I don't need those Motons, ... I don't need those Motons ...."

Old 12-29-2005, 09:50 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
I'm still surfing that website! Really cool stuff... Money, money, money...

Old 12-29-2005, 10:00 PM
rpterson
4th Gear
Just got a quote on 4 way Motons, $8500 to 13,000 depending on setup. I think I'll wait.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:13 PM
kmickey
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rpterson
Tony B, You can get this material from HRP

Costs $2.60 to $4.25 per foot.

As for a diffuser under the car, I've made a mock up of wood of what you are describing. I've gotten aluminum to make a prototype but just haven't found the time to cut fit and weld. Hopefully in January I'll get it done.

onasled; Same set up but I used a piece of 1/2" ceramic Blanket with foil backing above the muffler. No heat where the battery box was. This was left over material from a restaurant hood install. It started out 1 1/2" thick. I just removed ply's till I had what I needed. You can buy it from HRP but it $32.00 for 18x48. Find a restaurant construction site and ask for some scrap pieces.
Rich,
I like HRP. Bought plenty of "stuff" from them.
Also, here's one of my frequent places to shop for that hard to find Champ Aircraft part. Lots of heat shielding stuff:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...omponents.html

Old 12-30-2005, 06:14 AM
rpterson
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kmickey
Rich,
Also, here's one of my frequent places to shop for that hard to find Champ Aircraft part. Lots of heat shielding stuff:
I hate to say it but Aircraft Spruce in Corona is about 10 minutes from work When I walk in they want to know if I brought the MINI today. One of the salesmen has a Cooper.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:02 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kmickey
Rich,
Sounds like we have a few pilots hanging around here! I managed to log about 10 or so hours in a trail-dragger (Citabria) until the wallet got a little thin due to other commitments, namely grad school. I have very vivid memories for sure though...

Mickey, thanks for sharing yet another helpful website! You flyboys seem to be more privy to such cool stuff...

Heck, I'm gonna start a new thread where we can stockpile these links! Heck, not that I mind sharing here, but for future reference purposes, easier to locate...