R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Leaking Washer Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 03:07 PM
2014 MC
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Leaking Washer Fluid

Hello everyone,

Turns out when I fill it up that is just leaks out the bottom of the washer fluid tank area. I looked and it seems to be around the pump area. I checked the connections to the pump and they seem fine. I have had leaks from this area on other vehicles after the pump and it was the hoses.. It seems perhaps it is leaking from where the pump attaches to the plastic tank? Tried looking at the realoem diagram and there is a rubber grommet I think? Has anyone had a leak from this spot area? Is it the pump or just this grommet? Should I just try to pop it out and silicone it back in?

Old 09-09-2019, 03:10 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
My son has the 2011 and it loses fluid at a rapid pace, yet we can't find any evidence of leaking. Mechanic who did some work on car last, couldn't find any leak either. In his case I think it is losing fluid while driving.

Not sure if this is going to help you, probably not.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:24 PM
2014 MC
3rd Gear
Appreciate the response. This is filling it up and just sitting there. I start to see a puddle right at the driver side front and I took out the wheel well circular disk to check that area and see it dripping, it is just hard to tell exactly where it comes from. I dried the area and pulled off the hose manifold from the pump and inspected and can't see any cracking or leaking there. Hence, my suspicion is the pump - reservoir interface. It is a fairly slow leak/drip but there is a puddle and it will be empty within a day. The level doesn't seem to go any lower than the pump area.

Any suggestions for a potential seal/grommet in that area?

The following users liked this post:
Jan Poole (10-21-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 06:49 AM
Marquette MINI
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I found this thread while searching for the same issue. I have a 2014 Countryman that has a leaky washer fluid tank. Like yours, it is a slow drip. Before I pull apart the wheel well liner to try to figure out where it is coming from, I figured I'd see if anyone else has run into the same problem. Will be tracking this thread -- please post back if you figure it out!

Old 11-05-2019, 09:30 AM
2014 MC
3rd Gear
I haven't fixed mine yet, just living with the leak. There is a round access panel in the wheel liner but it don't help much to see what's going on. For mine, I'm pretty sure it is at the pump/reservoir junction area which could be the seal between the two or perhaps the pump is leaking external. There is a small amount of fluid left in the reservoir below this point. From looking up parts (the pump) it seems that it comes with a grommet so I suspect this is the seal leaking, but I can't find any information on just getting the grommet. Hence, my thinking/plan would going to be some silicone in that area as the pump works fine...

If you do tear into it, please let me know how it goes.

Old 11-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Marquette MINI
2nd Gear
I actually just posted about it in a new thread. I pulled back the wheel well liner to see what is going on. (Those round access panels are to change out light bulbs without needing to completely remove the liner.) Like you suspected, my leak is also where the pump connects to the hoses. Need to figure out what that part is that's actually leaking.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:24 AM
2014 MC
3rd Gear
I just changed out my pump as well. The issue I had was the exact same you had where the manifold plastic piece was cracked 2 places where it attaches to the pump. The pump I got was a direct fit except it didn't have the factory screen in the grommet as you had identified. I installed the new grommet and pump as is and solved the issue, just no screen. Thanks for the pictures and details!

Old 11-21-2019, 10:27 AM
Marquette MINI
2nd Gear
Good to hear! Mine seems to have been leak-free for a week or two since I replaced it, so the original grommet must be holding. Hoping it makes it through the winter...

Old 01-10-2021, 09:56 AM
steinec
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crack in Manifold

Upon inspection of the washer fluid manifold which attaches to the pump body over two nipples I noticed hairline cracks in both. The symptom is leaking fluid from the outbound lines to each windshield nozzle. I have not located an OEM replacement for this manifold and would prefer NOT to replace the pump. Do you think I could "seal" the cracks effectively?

Hairline crack where manifold attaches to pump body

Old 01-10-2021, 05:30 PM
Marquette MINI
2nd Gear
I had the exact same problem with mine. The manifold is part of the pump assembly, so when you buy a new pump, it comes with that part attached. I didn't want to replace my pump either (nothing wrong with the pump, it was just the manifold that was leaking), but did with an aftermarket from Autozone, and it has been fine for over a year.

Here's my other post about the problem:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...onnection.html

Old 01-10-2021, 05:39 PM
steinec
Neutral
Thanks for sharing your experience. Which part did you purchase, the TRICO one? Did you replace the gromet/seal as well?

Old 01-10-2021, 06:48 PM
Marquette MINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by steinec
Which part did you purchase, the TRICO one? Did you replace the gromet/seal as well?
I can't remember exactly -- it was over a year ago. But I remember it was whatever off-branded part that AutoZone was selling as an "OEM fit" to replace the washer fluid pump. I typically don't like to go for the cheapest parts, but this was available at my local store and I already had the car pulled apart and the pump removed. I think I reused the grommet from original pump.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:21 PM
steinec
Neutral
Went with OEM Part

I tried the TRICO pump which I picked up at O'Reilly's but unfortunately it wouldn't seal against the grommet in the tank. So I bit the bullet and ordered the OEM part from BMW. That pump fit well and I have stopped the leak. I am disappointed that the original pump manifold part was cracked, and was not available separately, looked like a manufacturing problem to me. Oh well - happy I have stopped the leak.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:07 PM
Marquette MINI
2nd Gear
Glad you got it fixed.

I found the receipt for the AutoZone one. Here's the pump I ended up getting:
https://www.autozone.com/electrical-...955/855575_0_0
It has been leak-free for the past year.