R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

AC Relay confusion

Old 06-17-2019, 06:03 PM
evelluser
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Relay confusion

I own a 2011 Countryman S All4. I recently returned from overseas and started driving my car again. My wife did occasionally drive my car while I was gone, but didn't use the AC as it was cooler out before I returned. I've taken my car to a shop and they did what they could and discovered I had the correct amount of coolant and no leaks, but the compressor clutch won't engage. The clutch is not locked up, as it will spin by hand but not when I try to use the AC with the car running. I did testing with my multimeter to try and diagnose electrical issues. I disconnected the black and yellow connector on the side of the compressor and tested the harness side connector to check for power and continuity. I can get a power reading, but no continuity signals; meaning on V DC i can read 14.5 volts, but on OHM resistance, there is no change and no beep (yes my multimeter has that function). Would this mean the relay is bad on the switch side and needs replaced?
If so, where is the bloody thing? I've seen several different suggestions and the only one I haven't tried is ripping out the passenger side kick panel because I wanted to be sure that's my problem before I go through the trouble.
If that's not my problem, would that mean it's the compressor and I need to replace it?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully my post isn't too confusing. Feel free to contact me directly if you want.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:12 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
The first thing I would do is actually see if there is enough pressure in the system. The compressor won't kick until the freon is at specific pressure. Give that a try first before digging things up.

Also check this site for reference newtis.info

Old 06-18-2019, 10:34 AM
evelluser
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The shop that did the diagnosis said they pressure was correct as well. I thought I had included that with my original post. But I will take a look at the recommended site. Thanks

Old 06-18-2019, 10:54 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Usually the pressure is high until the compressor kicks in then it drops to proper level.

For example, if the pressure were 180psi and the sensor is looking for 200psi, the compressor is not going to actuate. So, try to add a little more freon to see if it triggers the sensor. Walmart has these cans for $4.88. The hose is also reuseabel and sold separately.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:47 AM
2014 MC
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
How about finding the pressure switch and then jumping it (to take it out of the loop) just to test. If the clutch kicks on then most likely the pressure is just too low. This is fairly easy to check/test, but don't run it for long if it does kick in as it is a safety switch for too low pressures.