R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Controller Joystick malfunction

Old 08-09-2016, 12:03 PM
JPB660
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Controller Joystick malfunction

Hey guys,
I have a 2011 Countryman S All4 and the Entertainment Controller Joystick is not working. I have found a replacement but before I pull the trigger on a $200 part does anyone know what fuse it is tied to? I would much rather spend a few bucks as opposed to a couple hundred. And would anyone happen to know how to get the center piece opened up between the seats to get at it to replace?

Old 08-17-2016, 07:20 AM
EliasBruce Minaise
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RE: Controller Joystick malfunction

Is the joystick unresponsive? Or does it stick/not push down or pop up?
The electronic components of mine work but the actual *** doesn't rotate or push down/pop up like it is supposed to. I popped the silver **** off and it looks like the bearing that creates the clicking effect when you rotate the controller came dislodged from its little hole. That explains the rotation issue - still unsure of the reason for the sticky push(select) issue. I did ask the dealer about this recently and they told me that due to it's recessed location, the controller can create a "well" for any spilled liquids to get trapped in - consequently ruining the electronics (same issue the gear selector has with our model).

Old 08-17-2016, 07:24 AM
JPB660
Neutral
It still rotates freely and the buttons press in without sticking. I think the electronics of the thing are ruined, i left my window down during a rain a couple weeks ago. But my interior wasn't soaked or anything so I didn't think it was from water damage. I just ordered a new one and am going to swap it out and see.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:42 AM
EliasBruce Minaise
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JPB660
It still rotates freely and the buttons press in without sticking. I think the electronics of the thing are ruined, i left my window down during a rain a couple weeks ago. But my interior wasn't soaked or anything so I didn't think it was from water damage. I just ordered a new one and am going to swap it out and see.
Sounds good. Keep us posted on the process. Also - please photo document your removal/installation. A lot of us have an issue with this controller, so it will help greatly to have something to reference if we end up replacing ours. Where did you order the new controller from?

Old 08-17-2016, 07:55 AM
JPB660
Neutral
I ordered a new controller from Mini Mania. I looked around at the few places I could find and they had the best price, $219. Other places I looked at wanted almost $400 and they were from Europe. I will definately take some photos of the removal and re-installation process. The part comes with no instructions and when I called Mini Mania about the install process they had no idea either. Should be and interesting time...

Old 08-17-2016, 08:19 AM
EliasBruce Minaise
1st Gear
TADA! Here's the Pelican technical article you're going to need : http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

AND....Here's the diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_6288

The following users liked this post:
PelicanParts.com (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 08:11 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by EliasBruce Minaise
TADA! Here's the Pelican technical article you're going to need : http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

AND....Here's the diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_6288
Sweet! The joystick in our new-to-us 2013 CMS JCW has been acting up. This is going to come in handy to diagnose the issue

Old 09-19-2017, 09:10 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Minibeagle
Sweet! The joystick in our new-to-us 2013 CMS JCW has been acting up. This is going to come in handy to diagnose the issue
If you run into any issues post your question in the comment box at the bottom and one of our MINI guru's will have some input for you. Just incase you need any further assistance. If you have parts questions let me know.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-10-2021, 05:41 AM
JandJandtheDog
Neutral
A little behind

Hi guys,
I know this is an old thread but I was having the same issue and found this while looking so I figured I would add our fix.

A wire was unplugged.

We were all set to pay for the joystick replacement but when they pulled it apart to look they found the wire to the joystick was just unplugged. It may not always be the fix but I figured I would throw it out there just in case it helps someone. I certainly will just be popping it apart to check it if it stops working again.