R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 A cautious warning for iphone 5 buyers

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Mojito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A cautious warning for iphone 5 buyers

Without really needing to be said, there won't be a dock for Connected owners for a long time.

But the real problem is that the adapter Apple is selling ($29) doesn't transmit video or analog audio. Apple clearly says "Video and iPod Out not supported." The new eight-prong Lightning adapter is all digital, but Apple did not respond to requests for comment about why the adapter wasn't designed to convert the digital signal to analog.

I don't even want to think how long it'll take BMW to engineer a new y cable.

I'm thinking of keeping my iphone 4 as a ipod touch and leaving it in the car. If a new phone can act as a hotspot, you could use the ip4 as a wifi device and still run pandora and all of the Connected features.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojito
I don't even want to think how long it'll take BMW to engineer a new y cable.

Going from past experience, the first version will be available in a month or so. You'll see it heavily promoted in advertisements for the Connect. Of course, it will cost +/- $250 and won't work. But, new versions will be promised regularly. And they'll be more expensive and won't work, either.

Sealy - Who keeps MINI Connect KY in Zaftig's boot.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 AM
sn0wcrash
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have connected but do connected cars have an audio in jack? Yeah, you aren't going to get the in dash controls working but all streaming, playlists, and sound from the iPhone will work through the audio jack.

Not an ideal solution to integrate but something to hold you over if/when they release a new dock or adapter.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:57 AM
sn0wcrash
2nd Gear
Also most all iPhones can act as a hotspot. It's mostly carrier dependent and w/a plan. There are hacked apps that pop up that turn it on done it many times, and jail breaking as well. Most major carriers offer hotspot on newer iPhones for a plan change or fee.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sn0wcrash
I don't have connected but do connected cars have an audio in jack? Yeah, you aren't going to get the in dash controls working but all streaming, playlists, and sound from the iPhone will work through the audio jack.

Not an ideal solution to integrate but something to hold you over if/when they release a new dock or adapter.
that'll work for music, but nothing more.
Also most all iPhones can act as a hotspot. It's mostly carrier dependent and w/a plan. There are hacked apps that pop up that turn it on done it many times, and jail breaking as well. Most major carriers offer hotspot on newer iPhones for a plan change or fee.
last time I checked att wanted 20 a month for tethering. hopefully it'll be less. I understand if you go to a shared plan, you can add a data only device for $10 a month and it sips from your shared data pool. And verizon would be the same way.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:42 PM
qrysdonnell
3rd Gear
"iPod Out" is not analog audio. It's the iPod interface that is used by some cars (MINI being one of them) and that's sent by analog video, which is now gone.

I'm pretty sure analog audio will be provided by the adapter.

What won't work is the 'Plugin' portion of MINI Connected. That's all iPod Out.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:46 PM
qrysdonnell
3rd Gear
And here we go. Someone that claims to have talked to Apple and confirmed that there is a DAC in the adapter, so it will provide analog audio.

http://www.stuff.tv/news/apple-news/...-costs-so-much

Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 PM
tybeegirl
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sealy
Going from past experience, the first version will be available in a month or so. You'll see it heavily promoted in advertisements for the Connect. Of course, it will cost +/- $250 and won't work. But, new versions will be promised regularly. And they'll be more expensive and won't work, either.

Sealy - Who keeps MINI Connect KY in Zaftig's boot.
LMBO

Old 09-13-2012, 07:50 PM
WMW
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Iphone 5

All us Droid users have little sympathy for the iphone users. We have had to wait the longest, and still nothing. . .

Old 09-13-2012, 08:18 PM
sn0wcrash
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell
And here we go. Someone that claims to have talked to Apple and confirmed that there is a DAC in the adapter, so it will provide analog audio.

http://www.stuff.tv/news/apple-news/...-costs-so-much
That's good to know! Thx

Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 PM
sn0wcrash
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
that'll work for music, but nothing more.

last time I checked att wanted 20 a month for tethering. hopefully it'll be less. I understand if you go to a shared plan, you can add a data only device for $10 a month and it sips from your shared data pool. And verizon would be the same way.
Just be careful w/AT&T because if you are grandfathered to the unlimited plan, tethering is not available. You can't just add tethering. You'll be removed from the unlimited plan.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:22 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
I Bluetooth my audio and it works as good as it does plugged in. Video is gonna be a issue. So with the adapter will the mini app still work? I do like my hp/temp/ torque gauges. I wish a boost gauge would get added and optional gauge color choices. I really ask for way to much don't i.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 PM
qrysdonnell
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by countryman-s
I Bluetooth my audio and it works as good as it does plugged in. Video is gonna be a issue. So with the adapter will the mini app still work? I do like my hp/temp/ torque gauges. I wish a boost gauge would get added and optional gauge color choices. I really ask for way to much don't i.
Based on the research I've done I'd expect everything to work the same with the adapter except for the 'plugin' part of Mini Connected won't work.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:04 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
So the mini connected app will not work is what your saying? Wouldn't that just suck.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
I suspect grys is correct after going outside and playing around with mine. I am a little concerned with video out also since it appear that may now be handled by the headphone jack for composite video. Of course it is the headphone jack that does seem to do audio and video now with the connected system.

Video for me and the plugin feature has been for fun but not truly usable using my jailbroken iphone's display out program. I will miss video out for trips and my wife.... then again I do have an ipad and her 4s for that... Settled, I will order and take my chances.

Michael

Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 PM
qrysdonnell
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by countryman-s
So the mini connected app will not work is what your saying? Wouldn't that just suck.
Everything should work except the 'Plugin' part that uses iPod Out (which is analog video generated from the iPod). From looking at other forum posts, it's not unheard of for people with current phones to have problems with that as well. it sounds like the people who have had problems can access music on iOS devices through another menu item, but it's not as convenient.

MINI will probably have to rewrite that portion to not use the iPod out portion, which apparently BMW had done before developing the iPod Out functionality with Apple. I haven't seen any sign of an analog video adapter for the iPhone 5, so I'd be surprised if a simple cable would fix that. You'd need a cable that generated an analog video signal to work around it.

Also, it's looking like the phones come out before the converters, so it's not sure at this point when anyone will know exactly what works.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 PM
sn0wcrash
2nd Gear
I think there may be another issue.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1168...s_for_you.html

Apple has confirmed to Macworld that these adapters support analog and USB audio-out, as well as syncing and charging. However, the adapters don’t support video-out or iPod mode, the latter a special mode that lets particular accessories, such as car stereos and some whole-home-audio systems, display your iPod’s menus on the accessory’s own screen. More cryptically, the online Apple Store’s product pages note that “some 30-pin accessories are not supported.”

Not sure but sounds like even the menus (song titles, names, playlists) wouldnt even work with non-connected devices. The workaround may being using the included cable and an aux cable in place of the Y cable?? Just guessing....

Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 PM
sn0wcrash
2nd Gear
Think I just repeated the already stated above.... Sorry it's almost 3am and I'm waiting up to pre order the iPhone 5 and a bit getting punchy

Old 09-14-2012, 04:47 AM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
I think there may be another issue.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1168...s_for_you.html

Apple has confirmed to Macworld that these adapters support analog and USB audio-out, as well as syncing and charging. However, the adapters don’t support video-out or iPod mode, the latter a special mode that lets particular accessories, such as car stereos and some whole-home-audio systems, display your iPod’s menus on the accessory’s own screen. More cryptically, the online Apple Store’s product pages note that “some 30-pin accessories are not supported.”

Not sure but sounds like even the menus (song titles, names, playlists) wouldnt even work with non-connected devices. The workaround may being using the included cable and an aux cable in place of the Y cable?? Just guessing....
iPOD mode isn't an issue for me. Only the video.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:14 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Don't be mad at MINI folks, this is something that Apple did. Solution? Don't get the iPhone 5.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:41 AM
aleclee
3rd Gear
Kind of ironic that Plugin mode was touted as a way to keep up with iGizmo upgrades but was the first casualty when Apple made an update that affected MINI Connected.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:48 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by daflake
Don't be mad at MINI folks, this is something that Apple did. Solution? Don't get the iPhone 5.
+1
remember, in their effort to matain EXTREME secrecy, they prevent other manfactures from spending months devolping items before launch....remember, you bought an iphone4 compatible MINI....
i can see the craigs list adds in 4 years..."Iphone 4 compatible 2012 mini for sale...".
i'm sure mini will eventually come out with a plug/adaptor and a software update to restore most functionality, but the upgrade to the new connector will allow MINI CONNECTED 2 TO DO MUCH MORE!!

Old 09-14-2012, 06:51 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
+1
remember, in their effort to matain EXTREME secrecy, they prevent other manfactures from spending months devolping items before launch....remember, you bought an iphone4 compatible MINI....
Au contraire, Zippy. I bought a CM that promised compatibility. And went through a lot of hoo hah and money before I had one that was partially compatible. And that was for an iPhone that had been out for a while. What really frosted my Pure Orange pumpkin was that all the ads and brochures showed it working flawlessly, yet everyone at the MINI dealership had no clue and no one could get it to work.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:23 AM
nd3boy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
+1
i can see the craigs list adds in 4 years..."Iphone 4 compatible 2012 mini for sale...".
i'm sure mini will eventually come out with a plug/adaptor and a software update to restore most functionality, but the upgrade to the new connector will allow MINI CONNECTED 2 TO DO MUCH MORE!!
I debated back and forth over connected for a while and the sales guy was very honest with me. He pulled out his iPhone and said i can sell it to you, but if this connector changes (pointing at 30 pin), I can't guarantee it will work. I imagine that Apple has released details regarding lightning and the developers at Mini and other car company are working quickly to develop a solution. If anything, pressure is on them to find a solution otherwise they are selling an outdated product.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nd3boy
I debated back and forth over connected for a while and the sales guy was very honest with me. He pulled out his iPhone and said i can sell it to you, but if this connector changes (pointing at 30 pin), I can't guarantee it will work. I imagine that Apple has released details regarding lightning and the developers at Mini and other car company are working quickly to develop a solution. If anything, pressure is on them to find a solution otherwise they are selling an outdated product.
Your SA must have been around when they changed it the last time removing Firewire. That being said, this would be worse but they never promised it would work with every phone released by Apple. They have no obligation to make it work with the iPhone 5 at all, only with the current version.

Quick Reply: R60 A cautious warning for iphone 5 buyers