R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Engine malfunction! Reduced power

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 08:17 PM
Tweva33
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been getting that oh so fun Engine Malfunction for awhile too. No code from my reader though. Then today happened. Cruise Control Malfuntion showed up on the screen and it went into limp mode. Code reader showed four codes. Four!! P11AA, P1631, P1634 & P169F. Seems to all be related to the throttle valve. Looks like the Engine Malfunction message is a generic message of some error. Time to figure out how to do this myself...

Old 07-26-2017, 01:10 PM
FrozenTundra
Neutral
2012 Mini Countryman S ALL4

Originally Posted by MsBrit
I just asked if the fuel pump was going to be replaced since it seems to be a common problem with the CM's these days. I have no problem with the reprogramming, but if it's not going to solve the problem I have a 5 hour round trip to take it back to the dealership. (I know it was my decision to buy from a dealer so far away). As far as the decline in MPG's in the winter - I've been driving my JCW Roadster in the same cold and the mileage has not altered a bit.

My step-daughter has this car and has had the same issue with the "Engine Malfunction/Reduced Power" message. I replaced the plugs and ignition could and it seemed to fix the issue. Personally, I would NEVER buy a Mini and I think you all are fools for conitnuing to deal with these recurring issues on newer cars with low mileage! Even at my step-daughter's 50K miles, spark plug AND ignition coil change seems ridiculous. I just recently had to do plugs and wires for the first time on my 2008 Silverado and it has almost 170K miles!
Mini has been plagued with problems and they continue to just put band-aids on them. Learn your lesson and move on to a different vehicle!

Old 07-26-2017, 02:10 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by FrozenTundra
My step-daughter has this car and has had the same issue with the "Engine Malfunction/Reduced Power" message. I replaced the plugs and ignition could and it seemed to fix the issue. Personally, I would NEVER buy a Mini and I think you all are fools for conitnuing to deal with these recurring issues on newer cars with low mileage! Even at my step-daughter's 50K miles, spark plug AND ignition coil change seems ridiculous. I just recently had to do plugs and wires for the first time on my 2008 Silverado and it has almost 170K miles!
Mini has been plagued with problems and they continue to just put band-aids on them. Learn your lesson and move on to a different vehicle!
Nice first post! Normally a welcome is in order for a new member. Not in your case I guess.

The following users liked this post:
to_aussie (12-07-2021)
Old 07-28-2017, 05:46 PM
donaldq
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by FrozenTundra
It's stupid to think this is due to spark plugs and the coils. This issue has something to do with turbo related, I have had the warning many times, and had found out some pattern when it happens.

1. it always happen on a hot day and/or when I am driving it aggressively on the highway.
2. the car drives fine after the warning shows up, except that the turbo would not kick in
3. after the car is shutdown and cooled down for a while, the warning still shows up after starting the car, but it will soon go away once the turbo kicks in.
4. No obdii code twice I checked.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:28 PM
09DSMCCS
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Free HPFP replacement by MINI service

Hello Mini owners,

I don't usually post much, but I felt i had to regarding "Engine Malfunction"

I recently had the "Engine Malfunction" light on my 2012 MC Countryman S.

So, after replacing the Plugs and ignition coils, then resetting the error codes.
The car seemed to run well for about 24 hours, then the "Engine Malfunction" light came back.
I took it my local repair guy and he diagnosed it as the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP).

As many of you probably know, the HPFP is not a cheap fix. BUT to my surprise the tech informed me the HPFP is
covered under MINI warranty to 120,000 miles. Thankfully I only have 115,000.
I made a service appointment with MINI and it was covered 100% and they even gave me a brand new Countryman as a loaner

The following users liked this post:
2014 MC (06-19-2019)