R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Engine malfunction! Reduced power

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:29 AM
VColi
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine malfunction! Reduced power

I just got the attached Warning Message on my 2012 Countryman S.
Engine malfunction! Reduced power
Engine operating at reduced output. Possible to continue. Drive with caution. Have the system checked by the nearest Mini center.

I have an appointment on Tuesday with the dealer. They will give me a loaner since they will most probable need to reprogram the car and maybe order/install parts.

Has anybody else seen this? Any insight as to what is really going on?

Thanks,
Vince

Attached Thumbnails Engine malfunction! Reduced power-photo.jpg  
Old 12-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Not yet, but do a search as it happens to many people. Multiple causes. Do you have access to a code reader or near an auto parts store that does a free scan?

Old 12-18-2014, 02:53 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Using the Search function will reveal a number of threads discussing this issue.

A couple of examples are this one and this one.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Cobra-racer
3rd Gear
On my 2012 CMS with less than 8,000 miles I had the same issue a couple months back while on a long distance trip. It took 3 ignition recycles for it to resume normal operation and there were no codes when I scanned the ECU. Took it in for service and they claimed they had to re-program the variable valve system. Apparently it is another non recall service issue. They had to keep the car overnight for the re-program.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:28 PM
MsBrit
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2013 JCW CM with 22,000 miles has been showing this light off and on for the last few weeks now. Seems to go off after 3-4 restarts. My dealership is 2 1/2 hours away, so I'm sure by the time I get it there the light will be off and no code.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:40 PM
VColi
2nd Gear
I brought my 2012 Countryman S to the dealer on Tuesday. Got the car back at the end of the day (was given a loaner and the diagnosis/repair was done under warranty). The High Press Fuel Pump (13-51-7-592-429), Collar Screw, and Pressure Hose Assembly were replaced.

The Service Record says:
"26284 Defective High Pressure Fuel Pump hooked up battery charger. Interrogated fault memory. Fault 2C01 High Pressure Fuel System. Plausibility too low. Ran applicable test module. Concluding High Pressure Fuel Pump, Fuel line and Bolts. Diag Code D1350_00000000_02_002."

The car runs fine (and it did prior to bringing the car in). The advisor told me prior to repair the car might have trouble starting in cold weather and could be sluggish. Also, if the High Pressure Fuel Pump was not replaced, the Check Engine Light would eventually illuminate.

Not sure if any of this makes sense, so I share it.

Thanks for all for your comments.
Vince

Old 12-27-2014, 05:51 PM
MsBrit
4th Gear
Was your engine light still on when you arrived at the dealership? Mine as since gone off, but after reading all the posts about the HPFP problem I think I will make an apt to see what they say.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:58 PM
VColi
2nd Gear
The Warning Message was no longer active when I made it to the dealership (took a few days because they wanted to reserve a loaner). But apparently the Fault Code 2C01 was scanned by the Technician.

By the way, my Countryman S is a 2012 with 36K miles. The car runs fine, even before the High Pressure Fuel Pump was replaced.

Vince

Last edited by VColi; 12-27-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-29-2014, 07:00 PM
MsBrit
4th Gear
Originally Posted by VColi
The Warning Message was no longer active when I made it to the dealership (took a few days because they wanted to reserve a loaner). But apparently the Fault Code 2C01 was scanned by the Technician.

By the way, my Countryman S is a 2012 with 36K miles. The car runs fine, even before the High Pressure Fuel Pump was replaced.

Vince
Mine is running fine too (at least it seems to be) except my MPG has diminished 2-3MPG since this all started.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:39 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
My second time around for this happened on my commute to work just this morning. Engine hesitation with it feeling unbalanced and seriously underpowered is not what you want to see on the highway at 6:00AM. Luckily, I limped along into work and didn't have to pull into the breakdown lane.

Contacted a Service Advisor from work after they opened up and because they were closed yesterday, they're booked up through Monday. He thought at first that the throttle body might have been frozen -- something he said they've been seeing with the cold weather? -- but after hearing more details, he said to drop the car off today and they'll see what they can do. Pretty much expecting another High Pressure Fuel Pump replacement and it better be a no-cost service.

Hopefully I can make the 25 mile drive trek to the dealership without needing a tow truck and I should get a shiny new MINI loaner for the weekend.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:50 PM
MsBrit
4th Gear
After several Engine Malfunction light episodes, it is now a full Engine Fault warning light so my JCW CM is being dropped off at the dealership tomorrow (2 1/2 hours away) and hopefully be fixed and picked up the following Saturday. I'll be sure to report the findings.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:53 PM
Karrock
4th Gear
Hey, so I was just reminded by my own previous thread post that I was in for the High Pressure Fuel Pump this past April. So, yeah...

No confirmation of diagnosis, SA called today and said they haven't looked at it yet.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:55 PM
MsBrit
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MsBrit
After several Engine Malfunction light episodes, it is now a full Engine Fault warning light so my JCW CM is being dropped off at the dealership tomorrow (2 1/2 hours away) and hopefully be fixed and picked up the following Saturday. I'll be sure to report the findings.

My SA called me this morning and stated that the tests they did showed that the car was running too rich, so they were reflashing the computer. I asked if they were going to replace the HPFP and he said no. I also asked about the drop in MPG's. His answer was that it's common in cold weather with the change in gasoline and that I should put a fuel additive in every 3,000 miles. I don't understand the cold weather/gas thing because I have a JCW Roadster and it's running fine with no loss in MPG. I'm also rather concerned about the fuel additive - I didn't think the newer cars needed this, but maybe I'm wrong. I always use name brand / 93 octane fuel. Getting annoyed!

Old 01-06-2015, 08:16 AM
The X Men
3rd Gear
My SA called me this morning and stated that the tests they did showed that the car was running too rich, so they were reflashing the computer. I asked if they were going to replace the HPFP and he said no. I also asked about the drop in MPG's. His answer was that it's common in cold weather with the change in gasoline and that I should put a fuel additive in every 3,000 miles. I don't understand the cold weather/gas thing because I have a JCW Roadster and it's running fine with no loss in MPG. I'm also rather concerned about the fuel additive - I didn't think the newer cars needed this, but maybe I'm wrong. I always use name brand / 93 octane fuel. Getting annoyed!

If the car is running rich, it will lower your gas mileage. Winter gas usually lower my mileage by 1 MPG or so.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:04 AM
mikey_t
5th Gear
You want something replaced (HPFP) that isn't acting up on your car so it should be no surprise that the SA said no to your request. Why not let them flash the computer and drive it for a while?

Yes, fuel mileage will suffer somewhat in the winter, more so depending on just how cold it gets in your area. Mine usually drops by 2-3 mpg during winter driving. If you are using a quality name-brand gas with little or no ethanol you shouldn't need the additive.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:15 PM
MsBrit
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mikey_t
You want something replaced (HPFP) that isn't acting up on your car so it should be no surprise that the SA said no to your request. Why not let them flash the computer and drive it for a while?

Yes, fuel mileage will suffer somewhat in the winter, more so depending on just how cold it gets in your area. Mine usually drops by 2-3 mpg during winter driving. If you are using a quality name-brand gas with little or no ethanol you shouldn't need the additive.

I just asked if the fuel pump was going to be replaced since it seems to be a common problem with the CM's these days. I have no problem with the reprogramming, but if it's not going to solve the problem I have a 5 hour round trip to take it back to the dealership. (I know it was my decision to buy from a dealer so far away). As far as the decline in MPG's in the winter - I've been driving my JCW Roadster in the same cold and the mileage has not altered a bit.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:33 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
I can sympathize with that length of drive back & forth to the dealer but how do you know that the SA's suggestion of reflashing the computer wont resolve the issue you are having? Again, you seem to be applying problems that others are having to your own vehicle without any evidence to support that your issues are due to the same causes.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:35 AM
The X Men
3rd Gear
I just asked if the fuel pump was going to be replaced since it seems to be a common problem with the CM's these days. I have no problem with the reprogramming, but if it's not going to solve the problem I have a 5 hour round trip to take it back to the dealership. (I know it was my decision to buy from a dealer so far away). As far as the decline in MPG's in the winter - I've been driving my JCW Roadster in the same cold and the mileage has not altered a bit.

The dealer is not going to change the HPFP because you ask them to, unless you are willing to pay for it.
Winter gas and winter environment will decrease fuel efficiency depending on where you are and how cold the winter gets.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:41 AM
MsBrit
4th Gear
Wow, this post has gotten way out of context.........My 2013 JCW CM has been having problems with the engine malfunction light, noticed that someone else had posted that they were having the same problem. Found out via other information forums that some had their HPFP replaced and it corrected the problem. When I finally took mine in for service I merely asked my SA if the pump was the problem and they said no. I did not ask them to replace it. Hopefully the reflash will correct the problem, but if not it goes back. I just want it in good working condition (with no warning lights) when I trade it in.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:42 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
According to your earlier posts you clearly said; "I asked if they were going to replace the HPFP and he said no." and "I just asked if the fuel pump was going to be replaced since it seems to be a common problem". That's what we responded to. The check engine light can come on for a variety of reasons and a scan of your error codes will usually identify the problem. They apparently didn't find a problem with the fuel pump. I just want you to understand that because others who had their engine light come on and had problems with their fuel pump doesn't mean that the engine light coming on in your car means it has the same problem.

Hopefully the computer re-set will resolve the issue with your car. Btw...are those other MINI's on your list past cars or do you still have them? Just curiosity on my part.

Last edited by mikey_t; 01-08-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:18 PM
kingalien
3rd Gear
So I too was recently hit with the dreaded Engine Malfunction: Reduced Power. My Mini has 35,790 miles and is 3.75 yrs old.

I did not have to drive the car for a week due to travel so it sat there. When I came back I took a video when starting the car and the Malfunction came on again. I drove the car for a few days and did not notice significant power loss. But I did not drive it far. I took it in a couple days ago and by that time the Malfunction was no longer showing (surprise, surprise). Showed the video to SA and they ran the tests and had to replace the HPP. Here are notes from the service order:
“Connected charger. Interrogated fault memory. Found combustion misfires in cylinders 1-4. Also found fault code 2BEE high pressure system. Performed test plan for HPP, found environmental conditions below spec. Per test plan replace HPP Diag. Replaced HPP, 1 bolt, and fuel pressure line.”
Parts replaced:
13-51-7-592-429 High-pressure pump
11-42-7-527-412 Collar screw (3)
13-53-7-598-428 Pressure hose assy.

Service performed under warranty. Mini runs like usual now.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Karrock
4th Gear
OK, just got my baby back and was relieve to find out that NO, my High Pressure Fuel Pump did NOT fail just eight months after being replaced.

Turns out it was an ignition coil, which after a quick search, doesn't appear to be a common Countryman problem? Cylinders were misfiring (thus the lack of power and unbalanced engine feel) and when they diagnosed and replaced one, the next one failed, so they replaced them all.

While it was in the shop, they also replaced the clutch pack (i had complained about it slipping), front brake pads and rotors, rear brake pads and rotors, front and rear wipers, cabin air filter, oil change and some other probably minor maintenance I can't recall.

THANK YOU extended service warranty! Who knows what that would have all cost?

A week later and I sorely missed my turbo, 6-speed stick, All4, xenons and then some, especially with the troublesome snowstorm in between.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:47 PM
bguarino
2nd Gear
I received the same Engine malfunction notice yesterday after about 10 minutes into a drive. I was on the highway going about 60mph when I heard a pop from under the hood and immediately lost engine power (not all power- but engine would not go to high RPMs, turbo was not spooling, and transmission not changing gears. I had to press the pedal to the floor to maintain 50 mph). Immediately prior to the pop noise the turbo was very sluggish and was making the car shudder during acceleration like it was struggling. With the car in this limp mode from a dead stop the car would build speed at what felt was a rate of 1 mph per second. Not fun.

After getting home and shutting the car off, then restarting the issue went away. I made it to the dealer and got a loaner, but so far after 1 day with the car they "haven't found the problem".

Old 02-01-2015, 10:41 AM
vbaron
Neutral
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a 2012 Countryman with 24k on it and have experienced similar issues. It gave my wife the "Engine Malfunction" warning and reduced speed a week ago. Brought it into the the dealer and they identified it as Valvetronic Fault 2DCE last week. They "relearned" the valvetronic and roadtested it. On Thursday it happened again after I was driving it about 1/2 hour. Turbo is definitely not spooling and there's no pickup. In both cases it went away overnight. I will be bringing it back to the dealer on Tuesday to let them have another go at it.

Vin

Old 02-05-2015, 05:35 PM
vbaron
Neutral
Got the car back today, they replaced the valtronic servomotor. From their notes, it seems as if everything is analyzed by the diagnostic system and they follow a pre-written script. Step 1 seems to always be re-program the system and hope that clears it.

Vin

Quick Reply: R60 Engine malfunction! Reduced power