R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Our New 2015 and question and headlight protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:35 AM
Copple
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our New 2015 and question and headlight protection

Well we picked up our new 2015 Countryman S this past weekend. The car has the following options:

Light White
MINI Connected Package
Premium Package
Technology Package
JCW Exterior Package
Auto Trans
Piano Black Exterior
Black Headlight Housings
Rally Lights
LED Fog Lights
Inlay Color Pure Red on doors

Anyways we absolutely love the car. We moved from a 2010 Cooper S Conv to the Countryman as my wife and I are expecting our first baby in the next few weeks. Test fit the seat last night and still plenty of room (I'm 6'2").

One question - I'd like to put a protective film over the headlights, fog lights, rally lights, and a strip along the rear bumper (to keep it from getting scratched up loading baby stuff). Is there a particular kit that people recommend as being better than the rest? I've tried searching but haven't had much luck.

Attached Thumbnails Our New 2015 and question and headlight protection-photo-1.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 09:28 AM
molala
3rd Gear
Very nice pickup! The white x black combo is great.

Laminx is good. I had them on many of my previous cars and held up good. You can get pre cut or roll and different color and sz

Old 08-26-2014, 09:54 AM
dpike
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i got my package from invisiblemask.com
it included :
rear bumper deck
headlight
foglights
door edge trims
front bumper
and bonnet

it's a decent package, i'd like to say it went on easy, but i was WAY under prepared for what it took to push, pull, stretch a clear protection system. it didn't come out all that bad, and it's about 2 years old now and still looks pretty good, but given the chance again, i'd have it professionally done. if you stick to just doing the headlights, and bumper deck, it shouldn't be a problem.

ngp also makes a read bumper deck protector that gets good reviews here
http://www.ngpracing.com/newstore/re...ountryman.html

*edit*
lol sorry, i forgot to say congrats first !!
and love the piano black exterior trims they look great. it's nice to see mini offering these now rather than just chrome.. *shiver* .. bleh.

Last edited by dpike; 08-26-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:07 PM
ulala
Neutral
Congrats! My 2015 isn't due for another 2 months

Can't help with the protective film but can also recommend RGM rearguards (same one dpike linked).

Question: Did you have to remove the new grille insert to attach the driving lights?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Copple
1st Gear
We had the dealer install the driving lights. It was a little expensive but I was running out of time before the baby comes along.

The RGM rearguards look nice, but I'm really looking for the xpel clear film that's pre-cut. I ordered their headlight covers, not so much to protect against cracks but more to keep them looking new and pristine vs pitted out over the years.

Thanks for the complements on the piano black exterior, we really like it. The roof rack runners are also a piano black as well.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:32 PM
rdd337
2nd Gear
off topic

Originally Posted by Copple
We had the dealer install the driving lights. It was a little expensive but I was running out of time before the baby comes along.

The RGM rearguards look nice, but I'm really looking for the xpel clear film that's pre-cut. I ordered their headlight covers, not so much to protect against cracks but more to keep them looking new and pristine vs pitted out over the years.

Thanks for the complements on the piano black exterior, we really like it. The roof rack runners are also a piano black as well.

I saw your driving 2015 countryman. Is it really much quieter inside the cabin compared to 2014 models? 2015 Countryman ad emphasize that the new 2015 model is quieter (more sound dampening installed). Thanks.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Copple
1st Gear
My parents have a 2014. I'd have to ride in the cars back to back to say for sure. I will say that it feels much nicer than our 2010 Convertible, in build quality and general feel. It doesn't seem like much outside noise filters in, just hard to quantify that difference compared to a 2014 Countryman.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:35 PM
ulala
Neutral
I see, was wondering if the driving lights can only be attached if you remove the new grille insert, did you ask for them to remove it? (pic below of the grille insert)

Hmm, the XPEL site shows "Luggage Area Kit" but I think that's actually just the rear bumper? Do you have any XPEL or 3M dealers nearby? I don't think it will take that long to apply a protective film for just that area.

Attached Thumbnails Our New 2015 and question and headlight protection-2015_grille.jpg  
Old 08-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Copple
1st Gear
[QUOTE=ulala;3981226]I see, was wondering if the driving lights can only be attached if you remove the new grille insert, did you ask for them to remove it? (pic below of the grille insert)

Ahh, now I see what you're talking about. Hadn't noticed that before. Looks like the chrome insert and the 'S' are right where the lights are attached. Will try to take a look later this evening when my wife gets home. On our car it doesn't matter too much as all the other trim is blacked out.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:38 PM
rdd337
2nd Gear
[QUOTE=Copple;3981467]
Originally Posted by ulala
I see, was wondering if the driving lights can only be attached if you remove the new grille insert, did you ask for them to remove it? (pic below of the grille insert)

Ahh, now I see what you're talking about. Hadn't noticed that before. Looks like the chrome insert and the 'S' are right where the lights are attached. Will try to take a look later this evening when my wife gets home. On our car it doesn't matter too much as all the other trim is blacked out.
copple - can u please post a full shot of yout car? we have the same all white color with jcw ext and i think u also have black headlight housing. im still waiting for my car to be delivered. thanks.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:58 AM
Copple
1st Gear
Sorry for the delay. So it looks like the driving lights attach at the same point as the 'S' badge and the grill insert. With everything else being blacked out on our exterior it isn't a big deal, but some people may want to go the aftermarket route if they want to retain those things. I really like the piano black exterior trim pieces!

Also posting some better shots of the car as well as a fun pic with the other fun car. Somehow convinced my wife that I needed to spend a few hours detailing both cars in preparation for the baby. Kind of like male nesting...

Attached Thumbnails Our New 2015 and question and headlight protection-photo-1-1-.jpg   Our New 2015 and question and headlight protection-photo-2-1-.jpg   Our New 2015 and question and headlight protection-photo-3.jpg  
Old 08-31-2014, 05:00 AM
Copple
1st Gear
Quick question - How can you change the rotation on pics? When I view the pic in the file manager it's in the correct orientation, but once previewed and posted it's sideways.

rdd337 - If you want any specific pics just let me know. You'll like the JCW package. One of the main reasons we went with it was for the wheels, and we're super happy with how everything turned out.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:12 AM
rdd337
2nd Gear
Quick question - How can you change the rotation on pics? When I view the pic in the file manager it's in the correct orientation, but once previewed and posted it's sideways.

rdd337 - If you want any specific pics just let me know. You'll like the JCW package. One of the main reasons we went with it was for the wheels, and we're super happy with how everything turned out.

copple - the trim beside your radio, did you get piano black or checkered(carbon look)? and also the trim on your door panel is it piano black? if you can take pictures of these that would be cool and also the back of your car. I told me my dealer to debadge once they received my car but I'm still debating about this. You made me more excited to see my car. Thanks for the pics.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:11 PM
Copple
1st Gear
I don't have a direct shot of the back, but I like the clean look of the badge delete. For the interior we have the chrome line and piano black packages. The red door inserts look 'louder' in the pics, but actually work well in person. I think the piano black trim pieces look nice and clean vs the carbon look, but that may be more of a personal preference.

Threw in one shot of the daytime running lights because they look cool!

Attached Thumbnails Our New 2015 and question and headlight protection-photo-4.jpg   Our New 2015 and question and headlight protection-photo-4-1-.jpg   Our New 2015 and question and headlight protection-photo-3-1-.jpg  
Old 08-31-2014, 07:03 PM
rdd337
2nd Gear
copple - did you get the sport suspension too? I also ordered the JCW int since I want black headliner anyways. how dark is your tint? thanks for posting pics of your nice car.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:19 PM
AAAMINI
3rd Gear
You guys are making me excited to get my 2015. Your specs sound very close to mine.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:35 AM
Copple
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rdd337
copple - did you get the sport suspension too? I also ordered the JCW int since I want black headliner anyways. how dark is your tint? thanks for posting pics of your nice car.
We have the sports suspension as well. I was a little worried that it would be a little too stiff, but after riding in and driving the car for a week it's pretty enjoyable. Not much body roll through the corners and isn't too jarring on the bumpy roads. The suspension on our 2010 S Convertible was stiffer, and we had Michelin Super Sports tires (non-run flats) on that car. With better non-run flat tires on the Countryman I bet the ride would be even better. But my definition of a bumpy ride may be a bit different than someone else's.

The JCW interior was nice, but I don't think it was available with the auto transmission. I really like the look of the deviated red stitching though. We were able to order our car with the black headliner as well. With the dual sunroofs it isn't too dark in the car.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:26 AM
rdd337
2nd Gear
We have the sports suspension as well. I was a little worried that it would be a little too stiff, but after riding in and driving the car for a week it's pretty enjoyable. Not much body roll through the corners and isn't too jarring on the bumpy roads. The suspension on our 2010 S Convertible was stiffer, and we had Michelin Super Sports tires (non-run flats) on that car. With better non-run flat tires on the Countryman I bet the ride would be even better. But my definition of a bumpy ride may be a bit different than someone else's.

The JCW interior was nice, but I don't think it was available with the auto transmission. I really like the look of the deviated red stitching though. We were able to order our car with the black headliner as well. With the dual sunroofs it isn't too dark in the car.

that was my concern too that sport suspension might be a little too stiff but people on the other countryman forum convince me to get it specially its free from the JCW ext package. I test drove one in the dealer countryman with sport suspension and it wasn't too sstiff. but that was just for few mins. its different if you drive it everyday or for a long drive. so hopefully I will like it too.

as for the JCW int package, yes you can get it with auto. mine is auto and was able to order it. now I think about it I should have ordered red door panel like yours to match the red stitching.

my car scheduled to arrive in California Sept. 5 and as per my salesman it will take another 5-10days to get to the dealer for pick up.