R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Farewell my MINI Countryman AKA "Shadow"

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:05 PM
TPBC
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Farewell my MINI Countryman AKA "Shadow"

After 7 months of owning this car I traded her in for a car I never thought I would own... a 2012 Prius V. When the MINI wasn't in the shop for leaking coolant and oil or failing thermostat (THREE TIMES) I enjoyed driving it. It was my little BMW on a budget. I know all car makers have issues. I actually expected that I might run into a few hiccups because of it being the 1st year growing pains. But, I was not pleased at how MINI handled the whole thermostat problem. Not to mention the coolant pump recall advising us to park the car outside put the nail in the coffin.

I do miss the MINI and my 2 y/o twins ask where it is. They are pretty happy about not having to get into a freezing car in the morning.

I made the trade off of the fun factor for the gas mileage. I just have to retrain my brain and ego when driving this gas effecient drone . But, yes it's not a MINI. I'll probably keep my profile active just to be a voyer and live vicariously through you all. Thank you everyone for keeping me entertained during my brief journey with "Shadow". I wish a quick and reliable fix for the thermostat and Happy Motoring!!

Last edited by TPBC; 02-05-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-05-2012, 02:20 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you need to put a name to a dealer that can't fix a Mini

If a dealer can't repair a car they sold I would think the information should be passed along so the big shots at the BMW/Mini main offices would know why a person would trade a Countryman in on a Prius.

Sometimes I think some of the car dealers are their own worst enemy when it comes time to satisfy their customer when a car they sold has a problem.

Hiring minimum paid parts changers instead of trained mechanics is probably 90% of their problems.

Then you get the idiot that told you to just park it outside."""DUH!!!!"""

There is no car made in the whole wide world that is supposed to leak anything at all. (Except the water from the A/C) If a new car does spring a leak the dealer really should have at least one real mechanic to repair the problem.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:40 PM
TPBC
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ronnie948
If a dealer can't repair a car they sold I would think the information should be passed along so the big shots at the BMW/Mini main offices would know why a person would trade a Countryman in on a Prius.

Sometimes I think some of the car dealers are their own worst enemy when it comes time to satisfy their customer when a car they sold has a problem.

Hiring minimum paid parts changers instead of trained mechanics is probably 90% of their problems.

Then you get the idiot that told you to just park it outside."""DUH!!!!"""

There is no car made in the whole wide world that is supposed to leak anything at all. (Except the water from the A/C) If a new car does spring a leak the dealer really should have at least one real mechanic to repair the problem.
The dealership should not take 100% of the blame (at least in my opinion). Long story short . I had some legal assistance and the Big guys at MINI are aware of the issues and have opted not to repurchase my vehicle at this time...I do not have the patience to wait out a 4th fail of the thermostat or a total of 30 days in the shop.

I was just ready to move on and was very disappointed at how MINI USA dealt with this situation. Their motto "MINI proudly supports its product, its service and its commitment to our customers." Did not apply to me.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have a 4Runner now and it NEVER gives us problems. We'd like to downsize to a smaller SUV and I really want to get an All4, but if I talk my wife into it (she's not 100% sold on the idea) and it ends up giving us problems like TPBC, I will not be in a happy place in our household.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Maybe see how ConsumerReports or the LemonAid Guide rates the CMS after its been on the market for a couple of years. Hopefully what you experienced were minor growing pains. Keep lurking on here!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:09 PM
TPBC
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rixter
We have a 4Runner now and it NEVER gives us problems. We'd like to downsize to a smaller SUV and I really want to get an All4, but if I talk my wife into it (she's not 100% sold on the idea) and it ends up giving us problems like TPBC, I will not be in a happy place in our household.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Maybe see how ConsumerReports or the LemonAid Guide rates the CMS after its been on the market for a couple of years. Hopefully what you experienced were minor growing pains. Keep lurking on here!
Thanks Rixter for the support! I know there isn't a perfect car. Glad to hear your 4Runner is running great. I passed on a 2000 Land Cruiser to my parents and it's still going strong (they dont drive very far so its thirst for gas doesn't bother them LOL)

In all fairness... I'm going by what my service advisor said. He was surprised at how MINI dealt with my case. I was the only client (so far) at their dealership that has had the thermostat replaced more than once. I know it's my car in particular. I'm proud to say I was a MINI owner and know why people love them so

Old 02-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Hawkeye
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Indeed, we may soon have another option...I learned at the Washington Auto Show this week that the Mercedes "B" model may soon be available in the USA...

Old 02-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Cotnballs2000
2nd Gear
A Prius really?? Each their own. I like Hippies to cry when I start my Auto! TDI gets just as good MPG and way more fun to drive.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:49 PM
R60
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rixter
Maybe see how ConsumerReports or the LemonAid Guide rates the CMS after its been on the market for a couple of years. Hopefully what you experienced were minor growing pains. Keep lurking on here!
Hi. Typically, forums are where people ask questions, post issues and ask for help. It's rare that anyone says, "My All4 has run perfectly since day one," because it should be a given.

So, I'll say that my All4 has run perfectly, every day with no issues! I'll keep you posted after a year :-)

As with ANY automaker, I'd wait for the second year of production or expect that it's possible issues may arise (although they will be handled under warranty). Even the 2011s will be good used-buys down the road given that warranty work will have handled the issues.

Too bad about the problems here. There was definitely a breakdown in procedure to take care of the customer and now they've moved on.