R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Options and MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 03:02 PM
dharvey1221
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Options and MSRP

Ok so I've caught the mini bug. I've been reading the forums and test drove the all 4 yesterday. Love the car.

Im not too picky all I want is the flat boot and mini connect. Cosmic blue and xenon are my floating options. I want a bench and certain options so I think the build will be the best bet.

Big debate for me is all4 and standard s. Cincinnati climate is a mixture of everything so I sit on the fence.

So I configure an S with my options and it's about 28 and about 31 with an all4. How well can you negotiate on a build? If it's an s can you be like Ill give you 25/26 cash or all 4 like 28. How has everyone's experience been. Does it depend on the amount of packages you add vs what they may come down?

I know the common argument has been they take off options. I realize it's a higher tier car/price. On the website there doesn't seem to be many incentives, which I understand on a popular model.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:16 PM
PhoenixINX
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eager to see replies on your thread... I posted a similar one earlier today, but as my first it seems a moderator has to approve it first.

What kind of inventory does your dealer have?

Old 10-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Being new to the MINI purchasing thing, you may be surprised that there is (normally) very little negotiation on price. A dealer may throw in mud flaps or something else but expecting thousands off is not in the picture. The best deals I have seen from a MINI dealer occur on leftover (2011 now) stock. Even then, discounts are nowhere in the realm of your expectations.

The good news is that the absence of large discounting is one of the reasons why your new MINI will not suffer the rate of depreciation found in other marques.

If you're looking for a $2,00 - $3,000 discount, call around to the MINI dealers in your area to see what might be available in the 2011 models. Even then, it might be a stretch. You may need to make a deal on a 2011 demo model to achieve your discount objectives.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Sardian
2nd Gear
Good luck with those numbers. You'll be lucky to get hundreds off MSRP, not thousands.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:47 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
My dealer gave me $500 off MSRP on a 2012 ordered MINI (not on the lot). I thought that was pretty good, but I have to say, he gave it up pretty easily which made me think I could have gotten more. But, based on what I've read here, I'm happy with the $500.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:55 PM
dharvey1221
2nd Gear
This is what I suspected. I was just curious how much wiggle room you actually had. Mud flaps it is! Dealer had about 7 in stock but the options varied. Any car with a mini connect was over 32. Most cars had premium pkg, sunroof, with upgraded leather or basic with sport.

Kinda hard to play hardball when you have 0ver 10,000 options and combinations

Old 10-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Singha
1st Gear
I got around 2000+ OFF of MSRP by finding a MINI dealer who participates in the Costco Auto Purchasing Program. Whatever you do, don't get rush and don't fall in love with a dealership.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:50 PM
gramma502
1st Gear
My car is in transit, i put a deposit on it but already negotiated 1500 off MSRP on an S plus my MA told me to sign up for Motor-tober for an additional $750 off which gets my stickered 29 down to 27. Look into it, and good luck!

Old 10-09-2011, 05:55 PM
nciiu
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Singha
I got around 2000+ OFF of MSRP by finding a MINI dealer who participates in the Costco Auto Purchasing Program. Whatever you do, don't get rush and don't fall in love with a dealership.
I am purchasing my new MINI through the Costco Auto purchasing program.
Through this program, I was able to get about $650 off of MSRP and expecting another 1250 through motor-tober deal. I think it is indeed the best time to purchase a MINI.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:05 PM
gds194
4th Gear
Colorado is good for $500 off.... Shop other stores close by. You will feel it when you are at the right store, I did! So I went the long distance route on the order/purchase- 65 miles vs. 12.... YOU have to be comfortable with the deal/dealer...

Old 10-09-2011, 06:12 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
One thing to consider...I just sold my 335i when I ordered my MCS (I'm now renting my daughter's Jeep Patriot - UGH!) and when I had to bring the 335 in for service, or warranty work, they always gave me either a loaner or a free rental from Enterprise because I had bought the car there, even if the repair was only expected to take a couple of hours. The MINI dealer is right next door to the BMW dealer and has the same ownership. The convenience of having a free loaner/rental just for the asking is worth a few bucks to me.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Singha
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gramma502
My car is in transit, i put a deposit on it but already negotiated 1500 off MSRP on an S plus my MA told me to sign up for Motor-tober for an additional $750 off which gets my stickered 29 down to 27. Look into it, and good luck!
Thanks for that heads up, i signed up for it. Not sure if i should contact my MA to ensure i'm eligible for it, or if i should just show up.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:35 PM
PhoenixINX
1st Gear
The jist of what I'm reading, is people fall in love with the Mini and it's ability to be so custom, and forgotten that they have the option to negotiate.

No offense to anyone, but Mini is no different than BMW, and I have had a slew of friends walk in and get great deals on new cars from them.

Sounds like Mr. Harvey and I need to follow in the footsteps of Singha, and utilize our Costco memberships! I have zero issue in traveling to buy a new car if my local dealer isn't trying to participate.

Of course I cannot find ANY information showing that our dealer is part of the Motor-tober event. :(

Old 10-09-2011, 06:37 PM
PhoenixINX
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chaswyck
The convenience of having a free loaner/rental just for the asking is worth a few bucks to me.
Why would a dealer stop providing you with service only because you didn't buy it from them?

Old 10-09-2011, 06:40 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PhoenixINX
Why would a dealer stop providing you with service only because you didn't buy it from them?
Any dealer will service the car, but not any dealer will give you a loaner or free rental car just for the asking.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:41 PM
PhoenixINX
1st Gear
Checked out the website and found it interesting they are having this event in two smaller cities in our state... Can I guess the dealer has to sponsor this themselves? Seems like I'll have to drive 2-3 hours to benefit from this one.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:45 PM
PhoenixINX
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chaswyck
Any dealer will service the car, but not any dealer will give you a loaner or free rental car just for the asking.
Ah... Mini is like Acura and forces this down to the dealer. What a shame!

I have LOVED owning Infiniti's and Audi's, as we are always put in a NEW car when they are needing service.

What I'm getting so far is its tough to negotiate pricing and forced service restrictions if you don't buy from your local dealer. Geeez...

Old 10-09-2011, 07:06 PM
gramma502
1st Gear
Checked out the website and found it interesting they are having this event in two smaller cities in our state... Can I guess the dealer has to sponsor this themselves? Seems like I'll have to drive 2-3 hours to benefit from this one.
Yea my MA said the most of the dealers should be putting on this event sometime in October, so i would just contact your local dealer and ask when and if they plan on having one of these events. All you need to do is sign up online and register in person and you should be eligible for 750 off. In my case my car should be ready to drive off the lot, all i have to do is show up and point and say " i want that one" and vroom vroom im on my way

Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 AM
PhoenixINX
1st Gear
All you need to do is sign up online and register in person and you should be eligible for 750 off. In my case my car should be ready to drive off the lot, all i have to do is show up and point and say " i want that one" and vroom vroom im on my way
I just signed up on line... but the only two dealers on the list are 3.5 hours either west or east of me. Do you have to attend to be eligible??

Old 10-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
{snip}...and forced service restrictions if you don't buy from your local dealer...{snip}
Wrong. There are no "forced service restrictions". You need to take your MINI in for its checkups/servicing (free for the first 36 months, why wouldn't you?). There is no restriction that says you have to take it to the dealer from whom you purchased it; any MINI dealer will do the work.

Now, in a competitive market (like the one in which I live) some dealers offer a better servicing "experience" than others. But this difference is entirely up to the dealer's sense of competitive advantage, not a product of any forcing of restrictions by MINIUSA!

I have 7 MINI dealerships within a two-hour drive and I go to the one that offers (in priority order): the best techs, loaners, and waiting room creature comforts (plasma, WiFi, gourmet coffee, snacks, witty banter, etc.).

If your priority is having a new car as a loaner for servicing, MINI may not be your marque.

You have a 3.5 hour drive so choose wisely, Grasshopper!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 AM
bostonterrier
4th Gear
place my order yesterday

got 2k off an msrp on 30k with mud flaps, then another dealer in massachusetts told me to come in and they would beat it...so i did and they took off an additional 500 and gave me mud flaps, rubber floor mats and a boot mat. in mass, you can cancel within 3 business days and get a complete return of the refund...so i canceled from one and got the other and saved an additional $750. it took a lot of work and stress...but i'm content now...the only thing is i changed my colors from black body and white roof with polar beige interior to a more conservative look ...royal gray body, black roof and black leather interior. i wish i could push a button and change the colors depending how i feel that day

Old 10-10-2011, 09:28 PM
mrk5n
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bostonterrier
...they took off an additional 500 and gave me mud flaps, rubber floor mats and a boot mat. in mass...i changed my colors ...to a more conservative look ...royal gray body, black roof and black leather interior. i wish i could push a button and change the colors depending how i feel that day
Great deal boston! And a great color choice too With the RG you will notice it will change colors in different lighting.. some like it and some dont but I love it so far!

Old 10-11-2011, 02:13 AM
bostonterrier
4th Gear
mrk5n thanks...i saw the RG during the day and one in the dealership....and liked it under both lighting conditions...of course everything in the dealership showroom looks great because they are super shined and under the special lighting. what other colors does the royal gray appear...or at least that you noticed? thanks again.