R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Rear Mount Bike Rack - 2 significant problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:24 PM
dogmasue
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Mount Bike Rack - 2 significant problems

I bought the Rear Mount Bike Rack for my MINI CM.

Problem 1 FAIL: Yes, the rack releases and slides forward for access to the rear hatch as advertised - but when my 29'r was on the rack, the hatch could not clear the handlebars; therefore, it could not be opened.

Problem 2 FAIL: The rack is not designed to handle two bikes -- at least not the two I wanted to haul. In my photo, it looks like the two bikes are installed. But the 2nd one was removed immediately after I took the photo because it had an interference fit not only at both wheels, but also at the seat of the inside bike and the handlebars of the outside bike.

There was no way to configure the location of these two bikes to get them to fit without interference.

So for me, this is a very expensive one bike rack --- which prevents the hatch from being opened when the bike is on the rack :-(((

Old 06-10-2011, 01:24 PM
andre2p
Neutral
Wow, bad design. Can you return it?

AC

Old 06-10-2011, 01:40 PM
dogmasue
1st Gear
No. I had asked the dealership to order one so that I could check it out in advance but they would not - they would only order one if I pre-paid for it.
And I found nothing on-line that indicated that there would be any problems.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Call customer relations and explain. Worth the toll free call. Being nice will get you more.

Bill

Old 06-10-2011, 05:42 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Dude, I feel your pain. I also have 29ers (Niner Bikes as well - RIP and Jet) in size large and before I placed my order for a CM I made sure there was a way to attach my Thule T2 rack, because that's the only way I carry those bikes.

If they won't take it back maybe you can sell it and go the MiniFini hitch route with the Thule, or carry them on top.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:50 PM
vonmark
1st Gear
I have the rack and have the same issues. I can get my hatch open but I have to pull my handle bar out ofthe way to do it. The big problem for me is when I load my bike (29er) and my kid's bike my frame rubs agains my kids front forks and it has put marks in the paint on my frame. One of the many things I have grown to not llike about the car.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Mount Bike Rack - 2 significant problems-031.jpg   Rear Mount Bike Rack - 2 significant problems-032.jpg  

Last edited by vonmark; 06-10-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Harp
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've run into some issues on ours as well, but more with just getting the bikes to load properly.

2 design changes that can easily make this rack better:

1. Inner rail mounts need to be able to go closer together. In our case, and in the OP's photo, the inner bike doesn't sit fully in the tray due to the wheelbase being smaller than the minimal distance the rack will hold.

2. Rails need to be wider. This, coupled with fix one, will allow you to offset the bikes a bit avoiding frame / fork / skewer / pedal contact between the bikes. Will also allow for larger wheelbase bikes (which as 29r's) to fit.

I really want this rack to work. We don't have 29'rs (yet) but I fully expect to have one next year. Our CX bikes fit, which is the biggest concern we have.

I'm wondering if the minifini CM design is easy to install and comes with the trailer hitch. We had the trailer hitch for our 2007 CooperS which we coupled with a Saris Thelma rack. I'd love to be able to re-use the Thelma as it is a great rack.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:34 AM
rabbitransit
1st Gear
you can try to lower the seat but I see that the bikes are just too close together. Thanks for pointing this out else I might have bought one. I think maybe now I will try to adapt a Performance flat bed to the mounting points.

Last edited by rabbitransit; 06-14-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Benny Profane
1st Gear
Don't use rear mount bike racks. (A), they are just a hassle when it comes to stuff like this - opening hatches and strapping them up and protecting both bikes from each other, and, maybe more important, (B) they really really screw up the handling of the car, especially such a small car. You're hanging over a hundred pounds way behind the rear bumper, effectively adding all of this unsprung weight off the rear axis, where it shouldn't be. I did this once with a Subaru Outback, and hated the handling, so i can't imagine what it would do to a Mini.
Go for a top rack, fork mounts, with wheel holders. Be careful if you have a sunroof - make sure the rack gives you enough clearance. That's my setup, using Thule. Oh, and be really really conscious of low hanging garage doors.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:02 AM
rabbitransit
1st Gear
those that are vertically challenged prefer the rear rack setup.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:12 AM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
I disagree. I like rear mount racks because I don't have to remove the wheels to get the bike on. As much biking as I do, this alone is worth it because it saves a lot of time. The Thule T2 is the fastest loading/unloading rack there is (we're talking 10 sec here) and the bikes don't touch each other. If I am carrying one bike or have the extra two bike attachment for carrying up to 4 bikes, I can put the bike in a position further away from the tailgate and still be able to open the tailgate enough to get stuff in/out.

I don't notice the change in handling that much unless I have 4 bikes on the back, and I am not going to be driving aggressively with bikes on the car anyway.

Most folks I know at some point have had temporary memory lapses and forgotten their bikes on top and run them into something. In addition, you run the risk of scratching your paint or damaging the sunroof. It's not worth it.

Gas mileage is way worse with bikes on the roof than in the back.

Once somebody really nailed my car from behind, but my rack and hitch took the brunt of the impact, saving thousands of $$ damage to my car and completely disabling his (no drive-offs). However, I was lucky as no bikes were on the back, so you could look at this either way.

Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by Benny Profane
Don't use rear mount bike racks. (A), they are just a hassle when it comes to stuff like this - opening hatches and strapping them up and protecting both bikes from each other, and, maybe more important, (B) they really really screw up the handling of the car, especially such a small car. You're hanging over a hundred pounds way behind the rear bumper, effectively adding all of this unsprung weight off the rear axis, where it shouldn't be. I did this once with a Subaru Outback, and hated the handling, so i can't imagine what it would do to a Mini.
Go for a top rack, fork mounts, with wheel holders. Be careful if you have a sunroof - make sure the rack gives you enough clearance. That's my setup, using Thule. Oh, and be really really conscious of low hanging garage doors.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Harp
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once heard a comment:

"There are two types of people with roof racks. Those who have driven into the garage with the bike on top, and those who have yet to do so."

Pretty much nails it from my observations.

I'm still very curious about the MiniFini CM attachment. Anyone picked one of these up?

The following users liked this post:
stiksandstones (01-15-2022)
Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Benny Profane
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Harp
Once heard a comment:

"There are two types of people with roof racks. Those who have driven into the garage with the bike on top, and those who have yet to do so."
You mean those that smoke weed and those that don't.

And, as far as the "vertically challenged" thing, uh, holy jeebus, we're talking about a Mini here, right?

Old 06-14-2011, 11:26 AM
mini jet
1st Gear
Has anyone had any success with a Thule rear hitch? I'm looking at the 9003 Raceway Platform 2 to be used strictly with two classic road bikes.

By the way, does the Countryman have a rear hitch or can one be ordered?

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mini jet
Has anyone had any success with a Thule rear hitch? I'm looking at the 9003 Raceway Platform 2 to be used strictly with two classic road bikes.

By the way, does the Countryman have a rear hitch or can one be ordered?

Thanks!
Note that NONE of the trunk/hatch bike mount manufacturers recommend their products for the Countryman, likely because of the spoiler.

Currently, the only Countryman box hitch receivers are third-party aftermarket -- two require cutting a hole in your rear bumper and cost ~$300:

MINIFINI Country-Link

Mini Do More Model 1006

A "no drill, no cut" receiver from CabooseTrailers attaches to the rear tow hook mounts and has a disappointingly low weight rating of 150 tongue/1,000 tow while still pricing out at $250 + shipping.

Last edited by Karrock; 06-27-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: fixed minifini and caboose trailer links
Old 06-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Randym
Neutral
Missing Protective Caps (2x)

Hi all,

I just purchased a new Countryman w/the Rear Bike Rack installed. So far so good in terms of usage.

I have a quick question for you all who own the rear bike rack accessory: Did your bike rack come with the "Protective Caps" that are used to cover the threads of the screw connectors? According to my dealer, Seattle MINI, the bike rack does not come with the specified Protective Caps as indicated in the instruction manual.

Can someone confirm? If you do have it, can you post a photo of the item.

The dealer indicated that the Protective Caps are only part of the European model of this bike rack. Any helpful information is appreciated!

Cheers!

Old 06-25-2011, 09:53 AM
alanbatchelor
1st Gear
Yes there are end caps. Mine came in the box and i opened when i got home. Your dealers has lost them.

My only issue is i can not get the rack in the back with the rear seats up. If i go for a ride and get a flat i used to get my wife to come and get me in her mini van. We have two kids so seats need to be used. Was hoping i could get it back there and fit it on the road rather than have her try and fit before she leaves.

Will have to see if she can do it.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Benny Profane
{snip}...You're hanging over a hundred pounds way behind the rear bumper, effectively adding all of this unsprung weight off the rear axis, where it shouldn't be...{snip}
Unless the rack attaches to the wheels or hubs (!), is is NOT unsprung weight; the rack is attached to the unibody which IS sprung. Assuming that rack and bikes are 150 lbs, all you are doing is moving the CG of the car slightly backwards.

However, you are loading the rear suspension with an additional 150 lbs (of sprung weight) and, being that the load is located about about three feet behind the rear track, this may have a slight "lever" effect. The most noticeable impact might be on the jounce and rebound of the dampers; less so if you have the sport suspension. For those with track/autocross experience, you might also feel the very slightest delay in turn-in response. The whole deal should have about the same effect as putting 150 lbs of sandbags at the hatch opening.

Like another poster offered, you probably don't want to drive with a track/autocross style with your precious bikes hanging off the rear!

Old 06-25-2011, 12:50 PM
mini2011
Neutral
Caboose hitch-

I'm looking for a bike rack option- not really interested in the mini bike rack or top rails. Anybody tried the caboose hitch? Do you then just find a Thule bike attachment to fit in? Don't know how it works- I've always had the rear mount/ temporary rack. Not an option on the Countryman....

Old 06-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mini2011
I'm looking for a bike rack option- not really interested in the mini bike rack or top rails. Anybody tried the caboose hitch? Do you then just find a Thule bike attachment to fit in? Don't know how it works- I've always had the rear mount/ temporary rack. Not an option on the Countryman....
No offense to Caboose Trailers, but their Countryman hitch doesn't inspire confidence in me... Its rough appearance, extension past the bumper and low weight ratings add up to a rather unfavorable opinion of it in my eyes...

http://www.countrymanconnection.com/...ler_Hitch.html

Their pic #14 really highlights how far the Caboose extends a bike rack out past the rear of the vehicle. O.o

And all three aftermarket hitches (MINIFINI, MiniDoMore, Caboose) use a 1-1/4" box receiver, which is an industry standard, so just make sure you buy one for 1-1/4" and not the 2" variety (unless you want to use a wobbly adapter).

Last edited by Karrock; 06-27-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: added footnote & pic
Old 06-27-2011, 09:55 AM
rabbitransit
1st Gear
I would agree that the combination of adapter and bike carrier you have shown is not good as it places too too much leverage against the adapter and will likely twist it.
However, I think the adapter is a great solution for lightweight trailers and some bike carriers. I'm getting one.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rabbitransit
I would agree that the combination of adapter and bike carrier you have shown is not good as it places too too much leverage against the adapter and will likely twist it.
However, I think the adapter is a great solution for lightweight trailers and some bike carriers. I'm getting one.
Actually, there's no adapter on that CabooseTrailer -- it's only the hitch receiver with a somewhat generic-looking 3-spot bike rack, so you can understand my hesitation in buying it. All hitch racks will extend that far out by design, because they're usually attached much closer to the rear of the vehicle. Most box hitch receivers would end their box very close to the end of the rear bumper.

And, just wanna give a shout-out to MINI of Alexandria (technically, it's Passport MINI) for hooking me up with a MINI Rear Bike Carrier (82712149493) -- I looked up their price on PassportAutoParts.com and it rung up at $493.60 versus the retail of $617.00 and gave them a call expecting to have to place a special order.

Surprisingly, when the guy on the phone looked it up in their system, he said they had it in stock -- plus to bring in a printout of the website price and they'd honor the online discount! Saved over $100 and was in and out of the dealership in minutes -- awesome!

I don't have oversize tires on my MTB -- it's only 26" wheels, so I don't expect to run into the problems people have been having with the larger bikes. I'm test riding a road bike later tonight and may take it home, so I'll attach the rack so I won't have to fold down the seats and toss it into like cargo.

Good luck to the rest of you!

Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 AM
rabbitransit
1st Gear
I'm referring to the caboose as an adapter.
Flatbed bike carriers do not extend out that far and so are a better match for use with the caboose.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:06 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rabbitransit
I'm referring to the caboose as an adapter.
Flatbed bike carriers do not extend out that far and so are a better match for use with the caboose.
Ahhhh, gotcha! Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The other day, I saw a Saris Thelma rack folded up flat against the rear of a Highlander, it looked beautiful but might ride rather high on a Countryman.

Team Lope Thelma 3 Review on a Clubman

Guess you're looking for one akin to the MINI Rear Bike Carrier that's more even with the mount point like the Saris CycleOn Pro?

Old 06-30-2011, 07:17 AM
gothmdoc
4th Gear
just ordered the minidomore hitch for my R56... will follow with their 3-bike rack.

Quick Reply: R60 Rear Mount Bike Rack - 2 significant problems