R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Rear Mount Bike Rack - 2 significant problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh and digging around for the MINI rack I stumbled on this -- the BMW 1-Series-specific version is a very close-to-identical animal, with some layout differences here and there. Maybe that's why it's not perfectly engineered to accommodate the hatch with some bikes?

Old 07-05-2011, 10:30 AM
foncjas
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to sell it?

I have a 26" and a road bike so it might work for me.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:50 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Harp
I'd love to be able to re-use the Thelma as it is a great rack.
I was just about to update my SARIS Thelma review: on the Clubman, the unique way the SARIS pivots on an elevated joint from the hitch level means that it's the first rack i've found that didn't allow the Clubman doors to open, even when folded flat. Now, that said, I use the SARIS for other reasons that outweigh this, but it's something I didn't consider until I mounted the rack. I'm not sure how this would affect the Countryman... on the Club the doors would strike that elevated joint just a few inches from their near corners.

That's with a Minidomore, BTW. Not sure about the alignment on the Minifini.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gothmdoc
just ordered the minidomore hitch for my R56... will follow with their 3-bike rack.
+1 on Mini Do More products!

Brent Breon has been a long-time friend of the MINI community and his company makes terrific products. I have one of his hitches for my '04 MCS. Very strong unit and well designed.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:02 AM
rabbitransit
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Koopah
+1 on Mini Do More products!

Brent Breon has been a long-time friend of the MINI community and his company makes terrific products. I have one of his hitches for my '04 MCS. Very strong unit and well designed.
Definitely a strong looking unit.
They should add receptacles to maintain compatibility with the OEM rear bike carrier.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
I was just about to update my SARIS Thelma review: on the Clubman, the unique way the SARIS pivots on an elevated joint from the hitch level means that it's the first rack i've found that didn't allow the Clubman doors to open, even when folded flat. Now, that said, I use the SARIS for other reasons that outweigh this, but it's something I didn't consider until I mounted the rack. I'm not sure how this would affect the Countryman... on the Club the doors would strike that elevated joint just a few inches from their near corners.

That's with a Minidomore, BTW. Not sure about the alignment on the Minifini.
MINIFINI hitch *does* ride lower, so it's possible it won't interfere with the hatch... Where the MINIDOMORE comes out the center of the licence plate area, the MINIFINI exits a couple inches down through the rear diffuser grille...

Old 07-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Randym
Hi all,

I just purchased a new Countryman w/the Rear Bike Rack installed. So far so good in terms of usage.

I have a quick question for you all who own the rear bike rack accessory: Did your bike rack come with the "Protective Caps" that are used to cover the threads of the screw connectors? According to my dealer, Seattle MINI, the bike rack does not come with the specified Protective Caps as indicated in the instruction manual.

Can someone confirm? If you do have it, can you post a photo of the item.

The dealer indicated that the Protective Caps are only part of the European model of this bike rack. Any helpful information is appreciated!

Cheers!
The "Protective Caps" that come with the MINI USA rack are nothing special -- really just a couple short sections of black rubber tubing that slip snugly over the threads. I can post a pic of them if you're still interested.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Rev. MINIstry
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the R60 MDM hitch installed.
I bought a dual bike rack online for $65 (inc. Shipping) that mounts via the ball on the reciever arm.
It tilts down for complete access to the hatch and holds two bicycles comfortably close to the boot... Oh - and you can still tow a trailer!
Check out my gallery for some pics.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Mo Gaffney
Neutral
Where can I find the rack in THIS video? Is this what people have been referring to? The one in the video looks different than the one on the website for the Countryman S.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T3kkyEGJ2s

Old 09-26-2011, 10:14 PM
critterz
2nd Gear
thats the OEM mini bike rack, i have it and love it, very solid, a bit pricey, but its really simple to attach and also easy to get the bikes on (two 29'' hybrid bikes). got it at the dealer, 10% off because i bought it in the first 6 months.

Last edited by critterz; 09-26-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
I have the MINI Rear Bike Carrier too! Only paid $500 for mine, but that's still pretty steep. Some positive, some negative, give the forum threads a search...

From MINI Motoring Gear

You can order it from your MINI dealer if they don't have one in stock...

Remember that model number! 82712149493 (strangely, it's BMW digits)

Old 01-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Rockin'Rick
1st Gear
Old 01-30-2012, 07:04 AM
tatacountry
3rd Gear
I prefer the MINIFINI setup that comes out below the license plate. It looks much more elegant compared to having to shift your license plate down. I'll probably be taking a road trip to Ohio to have MINIFINI install one for me this spring so I can use my 2-bike Yakima Holdup. (I also have two roof racks- Yakima Forklifts, since the CM can seat 4 people, it's only right that I can carry 4 bikes

Old 03-24-2012, 10:32 AM
foncjas
Neutral
I have a rear rack. I have 26" and my friend a hard tail 29r. I have used it often and have no problem. I do move the seat. If I mount the frame attachment incorrectly on the front mounted bike, I have to move the handle bar a bit to open the hatch but that is minor. I love the rear mount. I hope all of you with problems can find solutions.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Gijs84
Neutral
Thinking about the rear-mounted bike rack but I'm told that the plug connection (that you can see in the You Tube video re. the rack) is only on the European versions, not US. Hence no lights or plug on the US version. Is that true?? Thanks

Old 04-19-2013, 03:08 PM
DR61
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Gijs84
Thinking about the rear-mounted bike rack but I'm told that the plug connection (that you can see in the You Tube video re. the rack) is only on the European versions, not US. Hence no lights or plug on the US version. Is that true?? Thanks
True, and it is not needed in US. Also makes it lighter. Mine works great.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:16 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
I'm the one that posted the Saris + MINIDOMORE concealed hitch that was referenced earlier in this thread. On the Clubman, on which that was installed, I moved to a more conventional rear hitch rack from Hollywood because the Saris could not carry 29ers without deflating the air (and if you run tubeless, as I do that's not what you want to be doing)...

On the CM, which I admittedly have yet to take possession of, as it is still floating in the Atlantic, I elected to return to roof racks for the first time since 2002. The primary reason for doing so was to always have a means to transport a bike (we have two kids and baby seats in the car, and my wife would frequently drive without the rear rack on the Clubman) ... but when I was looking at a rear rack option for the CM, I was liking the coopercrap hitch, which comes down from the factory mounting holes in the current model car, and forms a wishbone shape with the hitch landing low and out a bit from the car. This has the added benefit of not requiring taking your bumper apart, but does extend that hitch receiver farther from the car than the concealed hitch system from MINIDOMORE does. That said, door interference is always a consideration, so that extra distance, especially given the swing of the CM door, might be a positive thing.

http://www.coopercrap.com/countryman-hitch/

Old 04-24-2013, 09:28 AM
hyde76
2nd Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
I'm the one that posted the Saris + MINIDOMORE concealed hitch that was referenced earlier in this thread. On the Clubman, on which that was installed, I moved to a more conventional rear hitch rack from Hollywood because the Saris could not carry 29ers without deflating the air (and if you run tubeless, as I do that's not what you want to be doing)...

On the CM, which I admittedly have yet to take possession of, as it is still floating in the Atlantic, I elected to return to roof racks for the first time since 2002. The primary reason for doing so was to always have a means to transport a bike (we have two kids and baby seats in the car, and my wife would frequently drive without the rear rack on the Clubman) ... but when I was looking at a rear rack option for the CM, I was liking the coopercrap hitch, which comes down from the factory mounting holes in the current model car, and forms a wishbone shape with the hitch landing low and out a bit from the car. This has the added benefit of not requiring taking your bumper apart, but does extend that hitch receiver farther from the car than the concealed hitch system from MINIDOMORE does. That said, door interference is always a consideration, so that extra distance, especially given the swing of the CM door, might be a positive thing.

http://www.coopercrap.com/countryman-hitch/
+1 on the coopercrap hitch. It's awesome and very easy to use. Does not block the hatch from opening and no damage to the car. I attach an old swagman bike rack and easily transport three full sized bikes all the time. Check out this post for 3 photos.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...43-post13.html

Old 04-24-2013, 01:08 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Excellent...

Old 04-25-2013, 09:29 AM
gremlin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Benny Profane
Don't use rear mount bike racks. (A), they are just a hassle when it comes to stuff like this - opening hatches and strapping them up and protecting both bikes from each other, and, maybe more important, (B) they really really screw up the handling of the car, especially such a small car. You're hanging over a hundred pounds way behind the rear bumper, effectively adding all of this unsprung weight off the rear axis, where it shouldn't be. I did this once with a Subaru Outback, and hated the handling, so i can't imagine what it would do to a Mini.
Go for a top rack, fork mounts, with wheel holders. Be careful if you have a sunroof - make sure the rack gives you enough clearance. That's my setup, using Thule. Oh, and be really really conscious of low hanging garage doors.
My guess is that you are a Roadie, no slam, but lifting a 15lb clean as can be roadbike on top of a car is a lot different than a 36lb mud covered DH Sled. I don't want my bike dropping mud all over the roof of my car.

Also I haven't yet driven into a garage with a bike on the roof but so many of my friends have managed it that I have just decided like the other poster said, it's only a matter of time, and have elected to just avoid the issue altogether. It's also nice to pull into the garage when it's raining and pull the bikes off there. Or be able to park inside at work!

I've been looking at the CarID hitches or the Minifini one as a way to put a regular hitch on the car so I can use the Thule or Kuat racks. The limitations the stock rack seems to provide are not that interesting to me, if only because it doesn't fold up against the back when not in use.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:50 AM
Wongway
2nd Gear
Not sure if I'll see a reply on such an old thread, but has anyone attempted to transport a Fat Bike with the OEM carrier?

Old 01-15-2022, 12:02 PM
stiksandstones
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Wongway
Not sure if I'll see a reply on such an old thread, but has anyone attempted to transport a Fat Bike with the OEM carrier?
I am about to go pick a used one up from craigslist, I am gonna check to see if a 29er eMTB will fit, I doubt it and am concerned about the weight, but ill let you know.

Old 01-15-2022, 01:10 PM
Wongway
2nd Gear
I eventually figured out that you can order this
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...xoCYuIQAvD_BwE

to replace the straps on the stock carrier to carry larger than 3” wide tires.

I’ve used it for a 29” bike with 29x2.6 tires with little issue but that’s about the absolute limit. The new straps allow for me to use the bike with 27.5x3” tires with plenty of room to spare.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:15 AM
Wongway
2nd Gear
so I wanted everyone to at least get a visual on the OEM MINI Bike rack if anyone cares at this point anymore…

I don’t know what others above had a problem with in regards to opening their hatch with a 29” bike. I have a 2021 Fuse Comp 29” bike that has never had issues with hatch clearance.

What this hitch DOES have a problem with, is 2 bikes that have +sized tires (eg. fat bike).

In the previous reply above, I left a link to get straps that fit +tires for bikes on this rack. I converted my 29x2.6 bike to run 27.5x3.0 tires/wheels which were too voluminous for the included oem straps. Everything is great, so long as it’s 1 bike.

The problem comes when you have two bikes, and the forks are wide enough to accommodate +tires. The bikes will rub on each other. I included photos of bikes attached below, including one of my Fuse’s fork basically getting rubbed raw.

So, basically the main problem I have with the rack is that the trays are spaced too close together 😕

Old 03-14-2022, 10:25 AM
J_Westy
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wongway
So, basically the main problem I have with the rack is that the trays are spaced too close together 😕
Yeah, All euro racks are too tight...

Just an idea, but could you get a shorter and longer arm to tilt the bikes away from each other and get enough clearance. I used some Fiamma arms on a Thule rack I had at one time...

Bike Block 1:
Amazon Amazon
Bike Block 3:
Amazon Amazon