Drivetrain Newly tuned 2012 CMS All4 R60

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Solar10
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newly tuned 2012 CMS All4 R60

Greetings all.

My first post, though I have been lurking a week or so. Just purchased my first Mini back on Feb. 12th. Red CMS All4, black rims, black top, eh.. i'll post some photos later.

Short background: I love cars. My first was an 69' Austin Healey Sprite (mk iV). LOVED it. Passed it off to my sister when I went to the first Gulf War in 91. Fast forward past a Ford Probe, Jeep Wrangler, Turbo Supra, a few motorcycles, v8 Mustang, a C300, an Infinity g35, and my last.. an xTerra. Back around to something fun to drive, the Mini.

I have a hefty commute from South Orange County up to LA, about 120 miles a day. The xTerra was killing my bank account and had 175k miles, so i figured it was time for a change. Always like the Minis. The CM seemed to be the ticket and after the test drive, I was hooked. So on to the tune..

I've done a fair amount of online research, mostly because none of my friends have ever owned a Mini. There are a few shops strewn around OC and LA, but none that really jumped out and made me feel good about them. I wasn't looking to radically mod the car, it's my daily after all. But I wanted more "oomph" and, though the car is only in it's second season, it looked like I had a few options. ECU tune, upgrade the intercooler, swap out the paper filter for a K&N, and maybe swap out the downpipe and/or full exhaust. The ECU was the most bang for the buck with the least amount of downtime, so I focused my search there. RennTech, ECU Tuning, a few others. Read the claims. Read the reviews. It came down to Jags at ECU (formerly Singh Autosport) and a RennTech dealer down in Huntington Beach, Ca. RennTech guy wanted me to drop off my car for several days. They take out the ECu and ship it off, pretty much the same story with most ECU tuners. Jags said he could do it same day. Easy call.

Note: The car has not been dyno'd so I don't have base numbers. Also, the car was bone stock prior to the ECU tune. To be honest, I care more about how the car responds with me behind the wheel than how it performs on rollers.

Drove down to GI Motosports in Santa Monica and met Jags and Farzaan this morning. After the small talk, I settled into the GI waiting room and let Jags go to work. It took a bit more than 2.5 hours to pull the ECU and remap it. After everything was put back into place and check over, we cranked it up and took it for a little drive. Here are my initial thoughts.

1. Right off the bat it felt like it was in Sport mode. The idle was a bit tighter and the throttle delay was nearly gone. Took a block like that. Very peppy. Easily felt the added torque behind the wheel.

2. Switched into Sport mode. VERY noticeable. Like it wanted to jump up and GO! Very hard not to want to flatten the pedal driving around Santa Monica. I jumped on it a couple times on some straights, maybe 300 yards. Pulled hard and fast. When you're on it, you can really feel the all wheel doing its thing.

3. There was not a noticeable difference in engine acoustics. Both idle and accelerating sounded normal. Keep in mind, i still have the stock paper filter in the basket. I expect a little more throaty sounds from the engine when I drop the oiled filter in later.

Verdict? Win.

Here's what else I have coming over the next 2 weeks:

* Intercooler Replacement.
* K&N panel filter. Possibly full CAI kit of some sort. Not sold on it yet.

If I decide to move forward with the downpipe replacement, I'll most likely give it a few more months before I do it. Might go full exhaust, might go downpipe and catback.

(post repeated at 6speedonline.com)

Old 03-13-2012, 03:42 PM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You did an ECU tune with everything else stock? Nice. Did they explain what the ECU tune did? Prices (if you don't mind sharing)?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Solar10
2nd Gear
They did explain and I had a pretty decent hand in picking my bells/whistles.

Things that were changed:

* Shift points/timing
* ETC adjustment (drive by wire - throttle delay)
* Fuel Mix/Spark timing
* Speed Limiter removed
* Boost

Things not changed:

* Rear O2 sensors untouched
* Rev limiter untouched
* Didn't do anything with lights, windows, moonroof etc. It would be nice to close the moonroof from the keyfob. Maybe later..

Price... http://ecutuninggroup.com/price-list

Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
what happens to the ECU tune if the dealer does a software update while the car is in for an oil change?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 PM
52804x4
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bmwr606
what happens to the ECU tune if the dealer does a software update while the car is in for an oil change?
Unfortunately you loose your $600 tune!!!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
that's what i thought.

what is the tune shop policy on this?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:31 AM
kconner5
4th Gear
Lenny from RennTech tuned my Countryman.... I drove down to Miami where he did the work... afterwards I did a full exhaust and soon I'll be doing an intake...

RennTech is a top notch tuner.... I'm very pleased with the results Lenny got with my car.

Kyle

Old 03-14-2012, 07:32 AM
kconner5
4th Gear
Also, I have the dyno results from my car if anyone wants me to post them...

Kyle

Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Sliksunny
2nd Gear
Thus is my daily driver as well with 100 mile commutes in Tx. More oomph would be nice I am waiting on a full jcw tune but with your tune, since you have similar commute, how did the gas mileage respond after the tune?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Solar10
2nd Gear
No, you aren't out your $600 until your 3rd re-flash. I don't think that is unreasonable, personally.

FAQs are your friend.
Q: What if the dealer updates the software in my ECU?

A: This can happen occasionally during routine service of any car. We offer 2 free re-flashes; for 3 or more re-flashes there will be a charge.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Solar10
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sliksunny
Thus is my daily driver as well with 100 mile commutes in Tx. More oomph would be nice I am waiting on a full jcw tune but with your tune, since you have similar commute, how did the gas mileage respond after the tune?
My mini seemed to run a little rich right after the tune, but evened out after a few miles. This morning, it felt fine. I filled up and will have some mpg data in another day or 2. I was averaging 32 on my commute prior to the tune (no Sport mode).

Old 03-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Solar10
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 52804x4
Unfortunately you loose your $600 tune!!!
Not completely true with ECU Tuning. According to their FAQ, I get two free re-flash if dealer upgrades the software. I have no reason not to trust Jags.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Solar10
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kconner5
Also, I have the dyno results from my car if anyone wants me to post them...

Kyle
I'd like to see the dyno, if you wouldn't mind. I was <this> close to going with RennTech.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:57 AM
kconner5
4th Gear
Sounds good! I'll look through my email... I know the chart is hiding somewehre

Kyle

Old 03-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any concerns with getting this through the CA smog check?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Solar10
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Charlie Victor
Any concerns with getting this through the CA smog check?
Well it's new, so I don't have to worry about smoggin' it for a few years. With that said, we didn't touch the cats and I was assured it would pass dealer service checks and state inspections. I've chased after a few customers who had the same work done and they have had no issues with their particular cars. There's just not many folks posting too much on 2012 CMS All4 mods. Those that I do find, I am really trying to watch and learn from them.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Solar10
2nd Gear
Newly tuned 2012 CMS All4 R60 - Small Update Day 3

It's been a few days and a few hundred miles, so I thought I'd share a small update.

ECU Tune:
The top end power is really nice, though it feels like it's struggling to breath when I'm really into it. I'm going to drop a K&N in it today at lunch and see if that helps it a bit.

Still searching for an upgrade IC. Alta, Helix, Forge... are there others for an automatic CMS all4? Also, it would be nice to find a trustworthy local Mini shop in South Orange County. Online reviews are fine but I'd love some solid opinions from enthusiasts. Anyone care to chime in?

Old 03-18-2012, 05:05 PM
kconner5
4th Gear
Found my dyno chart... The car was on a Mustang Dyno which apparently you need to multiply the numbers by 1.2 to get at the crank horsepower (which is what a DynoJet Dyno measures)

I never knew there was such a difference between Dyno's!

Anyways the tune does need to be revisited after I did all the exhaust modifications to the car... That will be getting done soon along with a CAI.

Kyle

Attached Thumbnails Newly tuned 2012 CMS All4 R60-minisheet.jpg  
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
y8s
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
dynojets dont measure crank horsepower. nothing besides taking the engine out of the car can. anyone who says otherwise is making stuff up.

there are tons of forums arguing about how to get crank hp from wheel hp and if it's a straight number added or a percentage and it turns out there is no real consensus or it is a complicated combination of both.

Just take the numbers at face value on the same dyno type and you're golden.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 AM
kconner5
4th Gear
Good to know! Thanks!

Kyle

Old 03-19-2012, 10:34 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
the dyno chart is meaningless without "before" and "after" runs overlayed on the same chart

this is "snake oil"' as it is now

Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM
kconner5
4th Gear
Right, I see what you're saying... I was not able to do a before tune Dyno, it's a long story but I was on a roadtrip and where I put on the tune, they didn't have an AWD Dyno

Kyle

Old 03-20-2012, 10:29 AM
y8s
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Kyle, No doubt someone will post up a stock dyno chart on a similar dyno that you can roughly compare to.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:04 AM
threar
4th Gear
These are my initial dyno runs with only the VIP intake and sprint booster installed (shouldn't really do anything, but just wanted to mention it). I haven't gone in for a later run (after other mods to my car, including an exhaust), but this is a start:

Old 04-10-2012, 08:26 AM
kconner5
4th Gear
Interesting how different out charts are... I'm installing a NM Intake and Heat Shield today and afterwards I'm sending the ECU out to be cleaned up to work with the power mods I've done... Soon I'll try and throw my CM on a dyno again and once I do, I'll post the chart

Kyle

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Newly tuned 2012 CMS All4 R60