R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Considering selling 13 Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:36 AM
JMorganJr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering selling 13 Roadster

I'm thinking about selling my black 2013 Roadster. Its an automatic, sport package - I built/custom ordered this myself. 41k miles. Clean title. I'm the original owner. Well maintained. Any one know if there is a lot of interest out there for a car like this? What are some good sites to list cars - in particular MINI's?

Last edited by JMorganJr; 09-18-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added a question...
Old 09-18-2017, 11:42 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Until you actually list it for sale you won't know. If it is priced correctly it will sell. GL

Old 09-18-2017, 01:56 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
did you check KBB?

Most potential buyers will .....

for around where I live KBB gives a trade in price around $10,000

private party sale around $13,000

Private party EXCELLENT condition $13,800

since you are in CA you should run the numbers yourself but I doubt the difference will be much.

How quickly do you want to sell????

Places like CARMAX will buy TODAY

but IME you get low end KBB trade in price at best. I once got 'excellent' KBB price and was dancing!

Anyone know if there is a lot of interest out there for a car like this?

They didn't discontinue the model so quickly because it was popular .....

don't shoot me for sayin' this .... I own one too; and Mrs loves her car. But the one we bought had sat on a dealer's lot for a year ......

one can hope they become a 'rare collectable' but that's at LEAST 20 years away ....

Last edited by Capt_bj; 09-18-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:31 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj

They didn't discontinue the model so quickly because it was popular .....

don't shoot me for sayin' this .... I own one too; and Mrs loves her car. But the one we bought had sat on a dealer's lot for a year ......

one can hope they become a 'rare collectable' but that's at LEAST 20 years away ....
Were did I put the riffle . . .

Yeah, in the current market of things I've got to agree. These aren't the most looked for cars.
I think however that their value is greater than their popularity. I think the MINI roadster is flying under the radar. I've come to think that they are much better car than people realized. But that's just the point. Value is defined by attractiveness.

The very long term value is probably going to be good, but it's going to take a long time for sure and by then they will either have too many miles, or only a small amount will have survived.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:16 AM
'05Train
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From my perspective....

When I decided I wanted a Mini for commuting and putzing around in, I had 3 items that were non-negotiable.

- Had to be a Roadster.
- Had to be a manual transmission.
- Had to be a turbo.

To be blunt, I wouldn't have looked at this car based on its engine and transmission, and I suspect that many people looking for a 5-model-year-old sporting car would be in the same boat.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:06 AM
JMorganJr
1st Gear
MINI and CarMax have both offered me $11,000.

I have seen some similar to mine listed for sale on dealerships now from $13K to $17K.

I think I will try my luck selling privately - if anyone has websites they recommend for private party sales I would appreciate that info.

Thanks

Old 09-19-2017, 11:09 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I agree they only made them for 4 years for a reason, and the reason is: NO BACK SEAT. Which is why the big seller Gen 2 car became the Countryman, and now they have 3 F series models with 4 doors. Somebody'll buy it though, maybe not for a ton of money. My car listed for $41k and sat on the dealer's lot for 9 months before I bought it. And they still had a JCW Roadster there 8 months later too.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:26 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
no back seat is a significant factor

but on the other hand, that hasn't hurt Miata sales .....

4 door MINIs make me sick ......

how far from the original design can you go?

4wd maybe?????

OMG

BEEN THERE TOO

I'd never have bought the R59 .....

Mrs really wanted another Miata

but we're getting old and the R59 sits higher so getting in/out is easier.

consider this

recently needed a new top for a 95 Miata ....... easily available from several sources at reasonable cost.

THINK an R59 top is gonna be an easy find in 5 years?

Last edited by Capt_bj; 09-19-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:26 PM
2013_Roadster
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My 2 cents

Originally Posted by '05Train
From my perspective....

When I decided I wanted a Mini for commuting and putzing around in, I had 3 items that were non-negotiable.

- Had to be a Roadster.
- Had to be a manual transmission.
- Had to be a turbo.

To be blunt, I wouldn't have looked at this car based on its engine and transmission, and I suspect that many people looking for a 5-model-year-old sporting car would be in the same boat.
Having just gone through the process of searching and purchasing a 2013 Mini Roadster S, I have to concur with 05Train except the transmission part. I would have loved a manual, but my SO has knee replacement and there's no way she could constantly work the clutch.

I found mine on Car Guru but looked at many web sites. CarFax, KBB, AutoTrader, NADA, Carmax and Edmunds to name a few.

A Carfax (paid by you) report will put a lot of buyers at ease. Assuming it's clean. I inquired about a JCW at a small dealer and they said it was clean, no issues. I paid for the CarFax service and it came back as a salvage vehicle.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

The following users liked this post:
JMorganJr (09-20-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 02:58 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
CARFAX is a voluntary reporting system

a bunch of stuff is not reported

how much is a matter of opinion but I doubt they see 50% myself ....

Old 09-19-2017, 06:19 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by JMorganJr
MINI and CarMax have both offered me $11,000.

I have seen some similar to mine listed for sale on dealerships now from $13K to $17K.

I think I will try my luck selling privately - if anyone has websites they recommend for private party sales I would appreciate that info.

Thanks

Considering the base model is underpowered furthermore with an A/T, accept the offer if they are serious and not trying to push you something else to make the deal.

Seeing them on dealership lots at this price doesn't mean they sell.

Good luck.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:15 PM
2013_Roadster
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
CARFAX is a voluntary reporting system

a bunch of stuff is not reported

how much is a matter of opinion but I doubt they see 50% myself ....
I was relying on CarFax for major issues such as accidents, flood damage, title issues, structural damage, hail damage, number of owners, recalls and lemon issues, to name a few.

Since our Minis have maintenance included for 4 years, the dealer usually reports what service they performed. Not sure how that happens, but my Mini's report was fairly complete.

I have my Acura serviced by an independent and he doesn't enter in any information. There's no history on CarFax other than one owner, no title issues or accidents (knock on wood).

Old 09-23-2017, 06:18 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 2013_Roadster
I was relying on CarFax for major issues such as accidents, flood damage, title issues, structural damage, hail damage, number of owners, recalls and lemon issues, to name a few.

Since our Minis have maintenance included for 4 years, the dealer usually reports what service they performed. Not sure how that happens, but my Mini's report was fairly complete.

I have my Acura serviced by an independent and he doesn't enter in any information. There's no history on CarFax other than one owner, no title issues or accidents (knock on wood).

When you stop going to the dealer for service, there is no more information about history because they are the only to have a key fob reader.

After 3 years or 36K (not 4 years) maintenance, you cannot really figure out what has been done. Buying a used Mini is tricky with the bad reputation they have.

Furthermore, roadster owners have the top wear issue to go over that.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:58 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by dube53
When you stop going to the dealer for service, there is no more information about history because they are the only to have a key fob reader.

After 3 years or 36K (not 4 years) maintenance, you cannot really figure out what has been done. Buying a used Mini is tricky with the bad reputation they have.

Furthermore, roadster owners have the top wear issue to go over that.
Any shop that wants to pay for the correct software can read the same stuff off of the car. The key reader is just a gimmick and you can also buy those if you are so inclined. $300 will get you one.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:22 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
I have a '14 Roadster with only 8,000 miles. The market value is probably not much higher than yours. The car is in great shape, so I'd rather keep it. How much more fun could I have with the money instead of the MINI?