R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 What made you choose the coupe over other models?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 01:07 PM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What made you choose the coupe over other models?

I have an interview tomorrow, and while I am quite familiar with the hatchbacks, I'm not too up to speed on the other models. If you could please help me:

1. What made you choose the Coupe over other models?
2. What trim did you choose (Justa, S, or JCW)?
3. Which options were most important to you?

THANK YOU! I would appreciate your help....

Old 04-02-2014, 03:04 PM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile here ya go!

Originally Posted by WannaMini_
I have an interview tomorrow, and while I am quite familiar with the hatchbacks, I'm not too up to speed on the other models. If you could please help me:

1. What made you choose the Coupe over other models?
2. What trim did you choose (Justa, S, or JCW)?
3. Which options were most important to you?

THANK YOU! I would appreciate your help....
1. Uniqueness of the coupe; i had never seen one in real life prior to owning one. Also I prefer Coupes over hatchback designs in cars and of course the big one was the even better handling and stiffness of the coupe

2. S but wish i would have gone JCW; but am modding my S to be a JCW or better in performance

3. HK Sound was huge along w/the technology packages (ie adaptive headlights, auto wipers/auto climate, Mini Connected, retractrable sidemirrors and of course Comfort Access!!)

Hope that helps ya out!

Old 04-03-2014, 05:12 AM
reducati
3rd Gear
what Jimmy said, and in addition, the coupe interior just feels so comfortable, like a glove!

Old 04-04-2014, 04:23 PM
JLKoupe
Neutral
Ditto all the above. Test drove both the hatch and the coupe and the "cockpit" feel of the coupe completely sold me. Plus the unique look. It gets a lot of attention - a Mercedes pulled up next to me on the road the other day to take pictures.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:08 PM
lthoraldson
Neutral
I just ordered the coupe. I have never seen one on the road before. I didn't upgrade to the S & wonder if I should. Any feedback or pros/cons would be helpful as I can still switch my order. Thank you!

Old 04-05-2014, 02:24 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 S Coupe

I ordered the S Coupe and it is very loaded. I can't recall an option I did not add.

I love the Navigation System. Folding mirrors, Piano Trim. Car is Black with Silver stripes. Headlights turn, HK Sound System. Auto wipers, Comfort Access.

I wanted something fun. I drive many miles to work and my last car as a me only car. Used the other family car on weekends so why buy another four door.

Then I looked at all two seater cars and compared gas mileage which is fairly important. And Mini looked cute.

Never had a two seater before. I don't regret the purchase and wife wanted one and got a Countryman. Love to hear more answers - good thread but sorry I posted too late.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:18 PM
JLKoupe
Neutral
Originally Posted by lthoraldson
I just ordered the coupe. I have never seen one on the road before. I didn't upgrade to the S & wonder if I should. Any feedback or pros/cons would be helpful as I can still switch my order. Thank you!

My husband has a Cooper hatch. Between the two, the Cooper is much more fun to drive in town, where you're zipping around small streets and through intersections. The S doesn't quite have that low-end zip although it's still fun. But I do more highway driving and definitely prefer having the turbo. Love that acceleration!

Old 04-05-2014, 03:28 PM
lthoraldson
Neutral
Good to hear everyone is happy with their coupes! I drive a lot of miles to work everyday and wanted something fun to drive. My drive is half highway and half stop and go. Just not sure which is better the base or S. I think the S looks a little snazzier, Thank you for responding!

Old 04-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Tabintab
2nd Gear
Wow, I know cars have a lot of tech, but when it takes pictures of u, then thats a special car ;P

Originally Posted by JLKoupe
Ditto all the above. Test drove both the hatch and the coupe and the "cockpit" feel of the coupe completely sold me. Plus the unique look. It gets a lot of attention - a Mercedes pulled up next to me on the road the other day to take pictures.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:57 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S or Base

If I could do it all over again, well? I bought the S but I think the Non-S would be fine but I would have to drive it to see.

That is the problem. I don't think the dealer had any Non-S models. I also chose the automatic with paddle shifters, still need to learn how to use those damn things. I got it loaded - no common sense.

My wife has the Countryman Non-S. A little doggie but OK if it is in Sport Mode. But a Coupe is small so I would expect the Non-S to be better.
My commute is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours round trip per day. Mostly city but a stretch that I get up to 80 or so. I just go with the flow so as not to **** anyone off but I am told repeatedly I drive to slow. Maybe too old? 51 years old.
I don't regret the purchase but dealer does not have many S Coupe's at the time and then a manual is a whole different world. I have driven them before but driving one is not the same as an automatic.

On the Expressway traffic is stop and go. Maximum speed feels like 20 Mph. I take back roads but been there with a manual (Expressway). Not fun to have to ride the clutch so I avoided it in last few cars. Atlanta Traffic - need to say more?

Gas mileage is not bad. I am easy on the car. Also been using a Flash Drive instead of iPod or iTouch and that seems to work well. No play lists but I am fine without.

The only issue I had was my cheap cell phone will not sync to bluetooth. So I added this little device that can charge via solar! Works fine. Check out or Google IOGear Solar Bluetooth Hands Free Car Kit - GBHFK231. Simple and works to take calls in the car. Nice well made unit. Cheap too!

Old 04-05-2014, 06:38 PM
lthoraldson
Neutral
Thanks for the additional info. I also ordered the automatic. I imagine the Non S will be fine for my purpose but I can't really compare it to the S. The dealer here did not have any Non S coupes to drive either & they seem almost nonexistent so it makes me a little nervous about my choice. A bit more economical though. Enjoy your your options! Getting one loaded sounds like a fun way to do it!

Old 04-05-2014, 06:48 PM
reducati
3rd Gear
get the s, you go from 130 hp, to over 180 w/ o any mileage drop....the s is well worth it, as you get on the xpress way ramp!

Old 04-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have asked the question: " why did you choose...". Dude, if you are going to buy a Mini, then buy the one YOU want! I know your next set of posts... "I just bought a Mini, how do I make it better/faster/mod it/etc... Do what YOU want, not what people tell you.