R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 N18 oil wicking issue - check it!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 04:25 PM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N18 oil wicking issue - check it!

Posted on Sunshine MINIs this morning while awaiting service:

So I brought my Coupé in to MINI of Wesley Chapel this morning for a supplemental oil service, tire rotation, and wash & wax, all in prep for starting a Dragon trip on Wednesday.

SA advised me of a Coolant temperature sensor recall. This is separate from the sensor in the thermostat that was just replaced under warranty recently.

And he said there is now a bulletin out for the N18 engine to check for oil that can wick up thru the wiring harness from a sensor in the oil pan. If it gets far enough, it can get into the DME and fry the computer. I am now going to spend the day here while they replace my wiring harness & oil sensor. But it saves me from breaking down unexpectedly.

Rick Frisby (who trains new MINI techs) told me about this issue at Mickey & MINI 8 a few weeks back. If you have the N18 engine (Any R56+ with the refreshed engine with Valvetronic system), look for any minor oil spotting near the rear of the engine compartment on the passenger's side. Rick says that is an indication that it is worth going to your dealer for an inspection. Mine wasn't even spotting (not on the concrete anyhow), and the oil got far enough up the harness to warrant replacing it.

Now you know.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:52 AM
rosvick
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clarification, please: Am I looking at the passenger's side of the firewall for this oil spotting?

Old 11-04-2012, 05:41 PM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BillTheCat
... look for any minor oil spotting near the rear of the engine compartment on the passenger's side.
I believe Rick specified passenger's side, yes.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:44 AM
VX crazy
2nd Gear
so is there a recall on the coupe s for this problem??

Old 11-09-2012, 08:55 PM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
Not a recall, per se, but an "inspection bulletin." I'm guessing that not all of the sensors are affected- probably just a bad batch. And since this is an issue that is slow to develop, they are just inspecting your wiring harness near the sensor when you come in for service.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:09 AM
MarinePMI
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bill,

On a side note, how is the dealership at Wesley-Chapel? I ask, as my daughter is located nearby, going to college and I'm trying to find somewhere for her to take her Mini (R56 Justa) to get her oil changed. The ECU says she has 4300 miles to go, and she's at almost 15K now. This would be her first oil change/service (I've tried to get her to take it in earlier).

I'm just curious as to your thoughts about that particular dealership...

Old 11-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Scroll down to Tampa, there are 4 independent shops listed.
http://soopercooperinfo.com/lindaminiinfo.html

Old 11-10-2012, 06:19 PM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MarinePMI
Bill,

On a side note, how is the dealership at Wesley-Chapel? I ask, as my daughter is located nearby, going to college and I'm trying to find somewhere for her to take her Mini (R56 Justa) to get her oil changed. The ECU says she has 4300 miles to go, and she's at almost 15K now. This would be her first oil change/service (I've tried to get her to take it in earlier).

I'm just curious as to your thoughts about that particular dealership...
I may be a little bit biased, since I have a friend who is an MA @ Wesley Chapel, but honestly, they have been great ever since they opened. The facility is beautiful, including the service bays, which are kept clean as an operating room. They offer shuttle service, and if you prefer to wait (as I usually do), there are several small lounge areas upstairs & downstairs, with or without TV and Wii, etc. Oh, and the pick-up/drop-off area is under a pull-thru garage area so she won't get wet if it's raining.

They also provide free bottled water & the coffee machine is free. (Coffee, cappuccino, hot chocolate, etc.)

I am also a fan of their $70 supplemental oil change, since that's about what Spiffy Lube charges, and actually less than some independent shops. That's the primary reason I was there this time. And I can guarantee you Spiffy Lube wouldn't have known to check the wiring harness for oil wicking. I really like having an actual MINI Service Tech looking at my car, even if just for an oil change.

Oh, and they always wash your MINI after they service it. Cherry on top.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:26 AM
MarinePMI
3rd Gear
Bill,

Thanks for the feedback! Got a POC you can PM me? I'll have my daughter go her oil change there (even if it is a "supplemental" one). She's in Lakeland, but heads to her grandparents in Brooksville/Spring Hill on some of the weekends. so Wesley-Chapel would be on the way...sort of...

Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 AM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MarinePMI
Bill,

Thanks for the feedback! Got a POC you can PM me? I'll have my daughter go her oil change there (even if it is a "supplemental" one). She's in Lakeland, but heads to her grandparents in Brooksville/Spring Hill on some of the weekends. so Wesley-Chapel would be on the way...sort of...
PM incoming, sir.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:56 AM
MarinePMI
3rd Gear
Bill,

Got it! Thanks again!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:15 AM
bhegg
3rd Gear
'11 MCS (N18) - I apparently have this issue as well. While my MINI was up on the lift I asked my mechanic why there was motor oil around the lower engine mount and he mentioned the same issue that you described above. I'll have this addressed in the next week or so. He said it's a 4 hour job.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:28 PM
staynedglass
2nd Gear
i just rotated my tires in the driveway. 12k miles. noticed a wet wiring harness and what appears to be seepage around the oil pan (probably drain down) I'm calling my SA now to set up an appointment.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:42 PM
rosvick
3rd Gear
Dang it. Broadspeed has another 3,000km before her next oil change. I'll have quite the shopping list for the dealer to check when she's there: temp sensor, suspension check-up (it's been a rough winter already), and now this....

Old 11-16-2012, 07:00 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Does not apply to the 2012 JCW Coupe with an N14 engine.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:21 PM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
I had my S Coupe (N18) at the dealer yesterday and asked the SA to have a tech look at my car for the oil leak. The tech crawled under the pass. side and came out with fresh oil on his finger. I have 8700 miles on the car and had changed the oil at 4000. The reason I mention this is that I was going to change it again at 9000. I had the fix---replace the oil pump volume control solenoid valve and two gasket rings. The oil pan has to be removed for the repair. So new oil but no filter. Now I can have another oil change by the dealer at 12000.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:22 PM
reducati
3rd Gear
Is the oil leak? Would I be able to see it lifting the hood? Thanks in advance:-)

Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 PM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
No, you have to get under the car and look at the oil pan on the passenger side

Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 PM
rosvick
3rd Gear
I had Broadspeed up in the air this evening, and I found this the oil leak. Best place to look is right next to the engine torque arm (or whatever it's called). There's a wiring harness directly above it, that goes right into the oil pan. That's exactly where the oil was coming out of my car.

Thankfully, I've got an appointment next Thursday to have the front suspension looked at (awful clunking noise from the passenger front over all these icy roads), so I'll have them repair the oil leak, as well as perform the coolant sensor bulletin.

It's too bad there are so many little issues cropping up for these N18s, but I guess they're not *that* major....

Old 11-29-2012, 05:40 AM
bhegg
3rd Gear
The oil is coming from the same spot rosvick described. My car is at the dealership as I type. They're also checking on the vibration through my steering wheel under moderate braking.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 PM
rosvick
3rd Gear
I took an iPhone photo of the leak in question. For some reason, I can't get the photo to post nicely in this response, so here's the link (I hope it works):

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co.../size/big/cat/

Old 12-03-2012, 05:35 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Old 12-03-2012, 09:23 AM
bhegg
3rd Gear
My leak has been fixed. I believe the service order said it was a leaking solenoid valve.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:30 PM
The M People
1st Gear
Since this thread is in the R58 Coupe section , I assume this problem only happen in the R58 Coupe ?

Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 PM
adcam
2nd Gear
R58 Coupe with N18 engine.

Quick Reply: R58 N18 oil wicking issue - check it!