R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Considering new Cooper S cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:59 PM
herro91
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering new Cooper S cabrio

Hi Forum,

I'm considering a new Cooper S cabrio. I currently have an S2000 which I love, but need to start bringing my 4.5 year old daughter to school and I would not even consider the S2000 for this task. I also previously owned a 2006 mini cooper S convertible but had to sell it for a few reasons. This new one will be a daily driver which I will likely lease.

Here are my questions:

1) How's the ride with 16" all season run-flats?

2) How's the structural integrity? My old mini had the quivers.

3) How about long term - squeaks, and rattles, etc?

4) Would you bring a 4.5 year old in the car with a child seat in the backseat and feel safe?

5) We're also having another baby (my wife has an odyssey), but there may be one day where I might have to drive the newborn + my 4.5 year old - has anyone been able to get a rear facing seat in these cars? If so, do you have a recommendation for a seat and feel safe doing it?

6) How are the 2009 and newer models holding up?

7) Rear visibility - this was one of the reasons I sold my 2006. I really could not see out of it at all.

8) Would you change your decision (i.e. buy something other than the cabrio?)

Thanks in advance for all the feedback + help.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:17 PM
AustinS
4th Gear
Rough as a cob. I replaced them early on and am happy with tregular tires and a can of fix-a-flat.

My 2009 is fairly tight, no body quivers at all

No squeeks and just a few rattles over rough stuff.

4) Would you bring a 4.5 year old in the car with a child seat in the backseat and feel safe?
Yes. I have done that with a 3 year old

5) We're also having another baby (my wife has an odyssey), but there may be one day where I might have to drive the newborn + my 4.5 year old - has anyone been able to get a rear facing seat in these cars? If so, do you have a recommendation for a seat and feel safe doing it?
Just to say a good one that fits.

My 2009 is as good as new after 2.5 yrs and 30,000 miles. I just drove the Dragon today and it is as tight as ever.

7) Rear visibility - this was one of the reasons I sold my 2006. I really could not see out of it at all.
HaHaHa, never look back.

No way, the cabrio is the only way. Your kid will love riding in the open car.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:49 PM
rs_cup
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad I found this thread. We have a 3.5 year old and are ordering a 2014 convertible and our son will ride in the back seat in his recaro seat. It's good to know other convertible owners feel comfortable with children in the back seat.

Do you guys take kids on long rides in the back seat? With the top down? D you try to keep under a certain speed to keep the back seat less windy? Any other tips will be much appreciated!

Old 09-03-2013, 10:19 PM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by herro91
Hi Forum,

I'm considering a new Cooper S cabrio. I currently have an S2000 which I love, but need to start bringing my 4.5 year old daughter to school and I would not even consider the S2000 for this task. I also previously owned a 2006 mini cooper S convertible but had to sell it for a few reasons. This new one will be a daily driver which I will likely lease.

Here are my questions:

I had the 17" run flats and got rid if them.

My 2010 seems OK, but I'm thinking of getting a bracer from Way Motorsports.

Seems good, but it is a convertible.

Mine's 22 so I can't comment. I took her all over in the Miata when she was a preteen.

My 2010 with 32k is fine.

You won't be able to see out of this one either. I just had my top replaced under warranty for premature wear, on one of the solutions is to place the top slightly higher when folded open so it doesn't rub as ,much.

Nope- traded a Volvo wagon and a Miata for one mini cabrio.

Thanks in advance for all the feedback + help.
2010 R57S Chili Red w/ Blackout

Old 10-18-2013, 03:44 PM
XSIV SUN
2nd Gear
As the owner of a 2005 MCSC and now the owner of a '13 JCW Convertible they've made huge improvements. As for your specific questions.
  • Remove the Run flats and put regular tires on (I made money on the deal and the ride was FAR better!)
  • Huge improvement in structural ~ not that it was bad at all on the 05, but now it's solid!
  • Very confident in hauling small people in the back seat. Play with the windows to get the best air flow for them (sunglasses recommended!)
  • Rear view ~ just a Hare worse. I'm 6'1" and on the 05 with the top down, I had an unobstructed view. On the 13, the top is just a bit higher when folded, but with the headrests no longer as high, I like it much better. (Highly recommend PDK option, regardless!)

Can't imagine driving anything else! Both cars were/continue to be bullet proof!

Old 10-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 369 Likes on 312 Posts
Rear visibility is a matter of proper mirror setup. 5 years with a R52 and never a problem. Just follow the instructions.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/avoiding-blind-spot-5

Runflats are instruments of the devil.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:54 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Let me add that the stop distance on regular tires is a bit longer than on runflats. I've had two reminders of that in the recent months during sudden breaking situations. I agree with others that your ride improves greatly on regular tires. Just be mindful of the stop distance. I haven't used carseats. My 12 yr old daughter still can ride in the back seat. We give her a scarf to wear to keep her hair out of her face and definitely some sunglasses.

The car is tight. The 2009 models seem to have some issues with the top and denting the fabric when folded. Not everybody, but I and 3 others had to have our tops replaced, of course, under warranty. I would think that has been retooled or adjusted so that newer cabrios don't have that. You can find ample info on these forums about this.

On an unrelated note: I am waiting for my car to be ready after a service visit. We went ahead and paid for extended warranty and service. Mostly because I have had a few recalls and the top needing replacement. This visit, dealer says there is an improved timing chain recall, so that is getting replaced for the second time. I have 64,000 miles. The turbo heat shield also is getting replaced under recall. I bet the newer models have "learned" from the original R57 builds and probably you won't experience most of this, let's hope.

One other thing, while I am thinking about it, is that the MINI Cooper Bluetooth seems to be more responsive to iPhone than Samsung Galaxy S4. Also, the audio jack plays some mean tweeting interference feedback noise when I use the AUX jack and cable to hear Slacker radio. Hopefully on the new models, you can test or try the blue tooth connectivity to see if A2DP profile is working to send bluetooth audio or at least that when you use the AUX jack for audio, there is no wicked feedback noise that interferes with your enjoyment of music from your devices.

Good luck on your quest!

Old 10-27-2013, 12:54 PM
TampaMCS
5th Gear
My soon to be 4 year old fits just fine with a Britax Boulevard. I wouldn't think twice about bringing her. We take long trips but avoid the top down when doing over 55 for long stretches. We keep sun tan lotion, a baby hat and a few pairs of sunglasses.

A rear facing would work in a pinch with a short or no passenger.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:21 PM
sfmike
Neutral
Originally Posted by Derepente
Let me add that the stop distance on regular tires is a bit longer than on runflats.
I don't understand this statement - why are runflat tires superior in braking to a regular high performance tire? A cursory web search turns up nothing but criticisms of runflat performance.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:29 AM
CalsonicSE
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny, I had a daily driver Chili Red 2010 R57S (6AT) which got totaled early this year. It has since been replaced with a Countryman S (my DD) as well as a New Formula Red 2006 s2000 (weekend/track car - 47k miles). I'll offer a small comparision of my R57S and the s2k:

The s2k is hands down the better driver's car. However, the MINI was a lot more roomy and comfortable! I did a 6-7hr road trip with the MINI, no problem. I begin feeling uncomfortable after an hour or two in the s2k. The MINI had its share of strange soft top noise, but so does the s2k. A lot more wind noise in the s2k than the MINI. Not much engine or road noise in the MINI, but A LOT in the s2k! The MINI also had better rear visibility. Also, with the back seats down, I could fit 2 large suitcases in the back of the MINI. The only warranty work I had with the MINI after several years and 50k miles was that a transmission harness had to be replaced (something about transmission fluid seeping into the connector). I doubt the s2k will give me many mechanical problems as it's known for its reliability. I wasn't concerned with any soft top problems in the MINI, but I am worried about getting the infamous soft top tears in the s2k (which I hope I've remedied with patches of reinforcement vinyl tape). I do miss the MINI (it's was my DD, Costco car, road trip car, weekend car, and track car - Bilstein HD shocks, rear sway bar, x-brace, camber plates), but in terms of pure driving feel, it's hard to beat the s2k.

If you could only have one car, the MINI convertible is a solid choice. How many cars give you top-down fun, can hold it's own on the track, AND give you practicality (2 extra seats just in case you ever need them, and a reasonable amount of cargo room with the rear seats folded down)?

Last edited by CalsonicSE; 11-19-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:09 PM
David9962000
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sfmike
I don't understand this statement - why are runflat tires superior in braking to a regular high performance tire? A cursory web search turns up nothing but criticisms of runflat performance.

Maybe he went from a summer tire to an all season? A non runflat should be better since you're reducing unsprung weight.