R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Upholstery in a Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 PM
jfs5
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upholstery in a Convertible?

Any thoughts on leatherette vs cloth vs Punch black for a 2009 Dark Silver Convertible?

Old 08-18-2009, 07:29 AM
dslucki
1st Gear
I stayed away from all because I was afraid either would be too hot. Are you concerned with heat or looks? For looks, I like the Punch black.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I went with cloth (just because it was a no-cost option.) So I can't help decide between the two you mentioned. But I will say, if you leave the top down for an hour, the cloth does get quite warm as well.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:43 AM
jfs5
Neutral
Originally Posted by dslucki
I stayed away from all because I was afraid either would be too hot. Are you concerned with heat or looks? For looks, I like the Punch black.
I was thinking more wear and tear than the looks. Concerned that with the top down more chance for moisture to get into the car which in turn might affect the cloth?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:17 AM
sajacobs
2nd Gear
If I could do it again I would avoid the cloth. I already spilled a liquid on the seat and made the stain worse by cleaning it. When you clean it, the cloth will have a water stain and that looked worse than the orginal stain. I had to take the car to a detailer to have the seat steamed cleaned. The detailer said even a sweating water bottle will stain the cloth (let it sit on the cloth and you will have a water ring). So I did scotch guard it but time will only tell if it works. So if stains and dirt drive your crazy (and it will because the look of the seats are beautiful) avoid it.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:39 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the optional leather or leather/cloth - the seats are cut slightly differently, and you gain the adjustable lumbar support not available with the base upholstery. You'll be so careful with the car that you likely don't get any more moisture in it than in a tin top, and cloth dries too. Leather is, however, more durable and easier to clean.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 AM
zanary
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
Get the optional leather or leather/cloth - the seats are cut slightly differently, and you gain the adjustable lumbar support not available with the base upholstery. You'll be so careful with the car that you likely don't get any more moisture in it than in a tin top, and cloth dries too. Leather is, however, more durable and easier to clean.

I have the Interchange Yellow Cloth/Leather, and it does have lumbar support, but that combination was extra above the base cloth.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
I got the no cost black cloth because I don't like sitting on hot leather. I also picked up a couple sets of seat beads at Walmart for $9.00 each and they are great on a hot day.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Not4no1
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^I use the same beaded from walmart, but mine were $8.00...I saved a buck I have the black leather sport seats.

If it is just way to hot to have the top down (90+) I use a full back ice pack that lets me go topless no matter how hot it gets. It is always sitting under the bottom drawer in the fridge...just incase. (the freezer gets it too cold)

When I leave Butters out in the sun, I keep my seat pulled forward so the headrest is against the wheel. It keeps the seats from direct sunlight & now I never have the scalding hot leather. Once & a while I will forget to put my seat forward & I always regret it.

Sorry, we were talking about seats...I love the looks of my leather & how easy it is to keep clean, but as stated above, I use some tricks to keep them cool.

With that said, I am getting leather in my next cabrio too.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:06 PM
TRL
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MY R57 has the standard black vinyl and I have no complaint. I would not let the color influence me as to what material to get. Get the one you like the look of. I've owned convertibles with white leather and they feel just as hot on a sunny 90 degree day. I'm not sure my butt can tell the difference between a really hot white seat and a really hot black one.

All vinyl or leather is going to feel hotter than a cloth. Not a big enough deal for me to give up what I think are the advantages of vinyl/leather.

Put up the top if you are going to be parked in the sun for a long time. Naturally, you need to flip the seat back forward as mentioned above when you get out no matter what material you have to give the seats a little shade most of the time.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Nechesmini
2nd Gear
Have had leather in my mini for 4 years now (and 3 years before that in a BBMW convert). Yes, leather gets hot, but personally, I think it gets to a comfortable temperature quickly. And you can't compare the others to the feeling of real leather. Leather wears very well. And if you clean it regularly and condition it, it stays looking and feeling great. A good conditioner (Prima Nourish!) will keep it smelling new too!

Old 08-18-2009, 03:47 PM
AustinS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Not4no1
^^I use the same beaded from walmart, but mine were $8.00...I saved a buck

Were yours $7.99 or $8.99? Mine were $8.99 and I rounded to $9.00. Of course, then there was sales tax.

Last Wed thru Sun, we went on a 5 day, 4 night road trip. OH, KY,TN, NC, VA, WV and back to OH. 400+ miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Top down always with temps to 94. But even when the car sat in the sun for a while, with the light color of the Walmart beads, they weren't that hot when we got in. Wood is a good insulator.