R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Adding MFSW to a 2009 Cooper S Vert?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Hooshka
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding MFSW to a 2009 Cooper S Vert?!?!

Just bought a new mini and regret not getting the MFSW, especially when I realized it's only a $250 option! Also a little bit angry the option wasn't suggested to me.

I know this issue has been discussed for other year models, but I'm hoping someone can put me in touch with a dealer who has added MFSW to this car. It already has a three-spoke wheel that should accommodate the buttons. I spoke to three service departments in the Bay Area in CA and they all said it can't be added. They said that the wiring harness is completely different in cars that come with MFSW versus those that don't. All three said that it can theoretically be done, but they can't do it.

Has anyone had any experience with the 2009's and adding MFSW. Any dealers in the area that you can recommend? If you can't recommend dealers in my area, dealers that know about adding MFSW and have done it successfully would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2009, 05:50 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Well it can be done and is not cheap this is probably why they do not want to do it.

All the 07+ coop, 08+ clubman, and 09 vert's have the same wiring.

See this thread it even gives the part numbers that are needed to make the change.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...6-r55-r57.html

Old 07-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Hooshka
1st Gear
Thanks for the info. Still would be nice to find s dealer willing to fo it or knows to tell my dealer how to do it.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:17 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Do you have cruise control? If so, where are your controls? Mine are on the MFSW but I wondered where they would be without it.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinS
Do you have cruise control? If so, where are your controls? Mine are on the MFSW but I wondered where they would be without it.
Only way to have cruise control is with the MFSW.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Hoopty
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I posted this a while back......

It took many months of trying to get a dealer to help me with my MFSW (cruise control) install….it has now been working perfectly for 6 months. I heard everything from ‘It can’t be done’ to ‘You need the convenience package first’ to ‘It’s never been done’ ect. The dealer where I purchased my car (Irvine) was worthless and never any help. They quoted over $1000.00 in parts and service. Well….while I was in for my first service at another local dealer (Crevier) they programmed my car for the MFSW I had installed months prior. For anyone considering this mod, my car is a 2008 MCSa and was built in Dec of 2007. The only part/labor it needed was the MFSW (easily installed myself) and programming. I had picked up a used steering wheel several months before for $100.00, but you could purchase just the buttons and achieve the same result.

Good Luck

Hoopty

Old 08-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Hooshka
1st Gear
Thanks! From your response it seems like they don't know what they're talking about with the wiring harness. They told me the whole car would have to be rewired to install the buttons? With your change of the wheel, was there an easy place just to plug in the controls for the buttons?

Originally Posted by Hoopty
I posted this a while back......

It took many months of trying to get a dealer to help me with my MFSW (cruise control) install….it has now been working perfectly for 6 months. I heard everything from ‘It can’t be done’ to ‘You need the convenience package first’ to ‘It’s never been done’ ect. The dealer where I purchased my car (Irvine) was worthless and never any help. They quoted over $1000.00 in parts and service. Well….while I was in for my first service at another local dealer (Crevier) they programmed my car for the MFSW I had installed months prior. For anyone considering this mod, my car is a 2008 MCSa and was built in Dec of 2007. The only part/labor it needed was the MFSW (easily installed myself) and programming. I had picked up a used steering wheel several months before for $100.00, but you could purchase just the buttons and achieve the same result.

Good Luck

Hoopty

Old 04-25-2010, 05:36 PM
mickeyR57sparkling
2nd Gear
I just went through this last month....all i needed to do was purchase 2 things, and 1 hr of programming. you DO NOT need to buy a whole new steering wheel....you just beed the multi-function switches, they are $171 from www.allminiparts.com, also you may need to replace the Switch assembly that runs the Wipers and Signal lights...i negotiated that price at the Dealer for $398....then all you need is to have them activate it and you are good to go....Now that being said, Have them see if they can program it first without buying the signal light assembly, some cars have the right one, mine just didnt....Dont let the dealer talk you into 2 hrs for the program, thats BS....tell them that you will only pay for an hour.