R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Cooler worx shifter, WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 05:53 AM
R56NJ
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cooler worx shifter, WHY?

I have craven speeds short shifter set up right now. But I have always been interested in cooler work shifter everyone keeps getting... What's the benefits vs the solid like shifting the craven speed shifter gives? Is it worth 700$? And durability problems?

Was wondering if anyone had any input.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:14 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Link for reference:
https://coolerworx.com/shop/short-sh...-mini-r53-r56/

I like the Coolerworx shifter mostly because of the height and shift action. I do NOT like that you have to cut up the console to get it to fit, and your cup holders become unusable. Is it worth the steep price of admission? Not to me, it isn't.

If you are happy with your Cravenspeed shifter, I would say keep it. If you want a taller shift ****, get an extender.

The following users liked this post:
mountainhorse (04-15-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 09:36 AM
scotty_r56s
5th Gear
Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
I have the CAE. Why? Because it is amazing. You can't really compare it to a normal short shifter or even an extension for the shifter. It completely replaces the housing for the shifter and cables. That means the rubber bushings that create slop in the OEM shifter are gone. It also features a centering spring that brings the shifter to the center as you work between gears. This makes for very quick precise shifts. The throw distance between gears is also shorter than OEM. So you get all of the benefits of having a longer shift lever without the drawbacks. As I said, you can't really compare it to a normal short shifter or even an extension for the shifter.

The CAE is 100% worth it. Get the real thing.

This video doesn't do it justice, but it feels incredible:

RoadTripMachine (05-31-2023)
Old 04-14-2021, 11:10 AM
R56NJ
1st Gear
Originally Posted by scotty_r56s
I have the CAE. Why? Because it is amazing. You can't really compare it to a normal short shifter or even an extension for the shifter. It completely replaces the housing for the shifter and cables. That means the rubber bushings that create slop in the OEM shifter are gone. It also features a centering spring that brings the shifter to the center as you work between gears. This makes for very quick precise shifts. The throw distance between gears is also shorter than OEM. So you get all of the benefits of having a longer shift lever without the drawbacks. As I said, you can't really compare it to a normal short shifter or even an extension for the shifter.

The CAE is 100% worth it. Get the real thing.

This video doesn't do it justice, but it feels incredible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDpS...grysononeeight

That's awesome I'm glad that you like it, and I honestly think it looks really cool.... but in comparison my shifter from craven speed is solid like a rock.. I even got the upgraded bushings from cravinspeed, as well as NM shifter box
For my understanding the only difference between the two is the price the look and the fact that maybe maybe the shifter centers itself a little bit more..? I was really in the market to get one of these but I don't see the point if I have something that performs identically.

All together I think it costs probably about 360. And it's all so height adjustable, however not that ideal..

Old 04-14-2021, 11:59 AM
scotty_r56s
5th Gear
Originally Posted by R56NJ
I was really in the market to get one of these but I don't see the point if I have something that performs identically.

Without a doubt, what you have now does not perform identically to a CAE or Coolerworx. The shifter box you linked is nothing like the CAE housing. The cravenspeed retaining clip has nothing to do with the bushings that secure the OEM shifter housing to the car. I could go on about how they are different, but it seems like you already know what you want to hear.

You need to get hands-on with a CAE or Coolerworx.

And before you imply that I'm only saying this because of what I paid for my CAE, I'm pretty vocal about products and vendors that sell substandard kit. If I buy something and it doesn't live up to what was promised, I have no problem calling it out. That said, the CAE was easily one of the most smile-inducing things about my car. I honestly need one in all of my MINIs.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:12 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 309 Likes on 225 Posts
I’ve had both

The CW/CAE is a superior shifting device for sure... No doubt about it.. the build quality and shift action for track use is undeniably good in these Minis !!

AND..

For the street... the new CS bushings you mount the box with, and the ball insert bushing, and the short shift shaft do give a MUCH improved/more-precise shifting feel compared to stock... even more so if yours is worn, regardless of miles.

Even better with new cables if they have a lot of use ... and a weighted shift **** ... I like the race eng ‘Slammer’ 600g ****..

Old 06-15-2021, 01:07 PM
scotty_r56s
5th Gear
As much as I hate to bump an old thread, I can't resist.

This video really captures how quickly the CAE can shift and how short the throw is.

Old 11-21-2023, 05:26 AM
R56NJ
1st Gear
Took me forever, but this black Friday sale i finally bought one! I'm excited to see how it preforms... I got the non carbon.. car is a work in progress now... But will have it installed by summer!

​​​